Thread: Premium bullets and lower verocity

Default Premium bullets and lower verocity

With all the premium bullets out there being used now, has anyone found that the pemium bullets didn't expand as hoped for when used in a lower velocity firearm.
    I am using a 7-08 encore pistol on a goat hunt this fall and with it's lower velocity, mv about 2500fps with 140 gr. I can see going to far in the tough bullet area as causing expansion problems. Any thoughts on the bullet you would pick for this velocity. Thanks, Tony

Can you spell pinhole?

I used a 7mm TCU (14") for years, followed by a 7x30 Waters in the same length. I don't think you will get enough extra velocity from the 7-08 for results much different than mine.

Look at the velocity ranges recommended by the manufacturers for each bullet. Get below that range and you can almost guarantee that expansion is going to suffer.

In the days when I was exclusively handgun hunting, rifle bullets were the only game in town and I had a dickens of a time getting expansion on deer at longer ranges. Best bullets for over 150 yards were the Sierra 120 Spitzer, the Speer 130 grain spitzer and the Hornady 120 Spitzer, but that's not saying a whole lot. All were likely to needle through a deer on broadside shots at 200 and over.

Then Sierra came out with their 130-grainer designed specifically for single shot pistols. That quickly became the ONLY bullet I would use for long range shots at deer. It expanded reliably even at 200 yards, but held together well at closer ranges.

I'd be torn whether or not to use something a little more heavily built for goat, but not at the cost of expansion. Due to it's softer front end than other premiums I might be tempted by the Nosler 140 partition, but only after some serious expansion testing to determine my maximum range limits. If it isn't going to expand at your anticipated shooting range, switch to something that will.

Default Single Shot Pistol Bullets...

Sierra makes a series of bullets just for the single shot pistols. What is special about these is that they are made for those velocities. Something in the 1800-2600 fps range. They will expand and work very well in deer sized critters. I have taken W/T, muleys and antelope with them in calibers of 6.5 and 7mm and 30, with those bullets in that velocity range. I have a bullet from a 285 yard shot on a pronghorn that even expanded from 6.5 to 40 caliber. I think Hornady also makes some and the original Remington core-lokt bullet will also work fine.

Every bullet must be matched to the velocity and the game.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Finding the bullet's window

Murphy, BrownBear, et al.:

Where do you go to find a bullet's velocity design window? I have a giant scanned image of a test in Handloader Magazine (issue 193) that shows the expansion window of 38 different 180 grain, .308 caliber bullets. It's great, but not so helpful for other calibers and bullet weights. And there are more and newer bullets on the market since the article came out.

Is there a good resource to which you turn?

Default There will be...someday..

Yes. Me. There will be a book.

This was one of the most difficult parts of putting material together for any text, getting manufacturers to commit to realistic numbers for velocity ranges for their bullets. I posted a rather extensive document on this forum about two years ago and it was met with so much b.s. and resistance that I removed it from the forum. It listed every bullet ever made to date, and the minimum and maximum velocity ranges for them. This of course is based on impact velocity. There is no other document that list all of them. Some manufacturers will publish figures and some will tell you if you call or e-mail them. Sometimes the published figures are riduclously listed as to indicate velocities from 1200 fps to 5000 fps, just to get one up on the competition.

Here is a web link for Northfork Bullets. These folks absolutely know bullets. They understand what makes a bullet work and what makes it fail. Their site is the best ever of it's type and list the preferred impact velocity and the limits. The bullets are also very consistent in dimensions and perform as advertised. They are hunting bullets and they work very well. Every manufacturer should list the range of impact velocities right on the box of their bullets.

Here's the link, enjoy the site.

http://www.northforkbullets.com/pricing.htm
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Most load manuals for bullet manufacturers list them, Sierra comes to mind. Most, however are listed in terms of muzzle velocity, so you have to be sure what is being specied.

Great book idea Murphy! Sounds like an essential reference!

Hey Murph,

I followed your link to Northfork bullets, and I'm amazed how much they resemble the old Zipedo bullets (.224 and .243) from Nosler- both internally and externally. Any links in their family tree?

Default Bullet Velocity windows

Hornady manual; second volume, list the windows for all their bullets.

Sierra Tech Line for their bullets.

Personally I like expanding rifle bullets to be traveling at least 2000 fps when they hit. So yes your 140 gr bullet will still expand at a muzzle velocity of 2500 fps, but if I were you I'd limit my range to 200 yds to get consistant expansion. You could also drop to a 120 gr bullet @~2700 fps, but the lighter bullet slows down faster so you won't gain a huge increase in range, maybe out to 250 yds. And if you want to drop down to 120 gr, I know several folks that use that bullet in their 7-08 rifles for shots way out there. If a 7-08 rifle will take game out to 500 yds w/ a 120 gr, a 7-08 pistol will certainly do the same out to 300 yds, IMHO.

i have used 140 gr ballistic tips exclusively in my 7-30 improved for over 10 years. at just under 2500 fps out of the muzzle they perform excellent. i have shot deer and antelope at 250 plus and bullet performance was great. those lighter 120 and 130 grain single shot pistol bullets are made for 7 tcu and 7mm br velocities, they open up way to fast above that. never used the partitions but they would probably work fine. also the hornady sst might perform alot like the ballistic tip. never messed around to much once i worked up a load with the bt's, that gun shoots sub moa all day long with em. handguning is the way to go! especially for mountain game, just put it in your pack and climb

I used the 7-08 handgun on a sheep hunt 2 falls ago. It was nice to put the gun in the pack and climb. I used 140 gr sierra prohunter bullets. At 242 yrds according to the rangefinder the bullet went thru nicely leaving a nice size hole on it's way out. I would think this bullet or a partition should work on a goat.