Thread: Yamaha grizzly clutch weights

Unhappy Yamaha grizzly clutch weights

Hey I would like to find out if any of you have experience messing with your grizzly 700 clutch weights. OR any other types of atv. I am thinking about changing mine up as I installed a dalton clutch kit on my grizzly 700 and am horrified by how it made my atv seem weaker than stock with my 27" xtr's on 14s. Any help would be greatly appriciated! I am thinking about putting 4 stock grizzly 700 weights in and 4 kodiak 450 weights in and seeing if that combination is what I want.

I decided to forgo a clutch kit and give these guys a try... www.airdamclutches.com Man was I happy. Happy enough that I'm sending in the clutches off my two other ATV's when I get a chance. Totally replaced the low-end grunt I lost when going to the bigger mud tires on my Cat 500. I usually don't even have to shift to low anymore unless the mud is super deep.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Hey I would like to find out if any of you have experience messing with your grizzly 700 clutch weights. OR any other types of atv. I am thinking about changing mine up as I installed a dalton clutch kit on my grizzly 700 and am horrified by how it made my atv seem weaker than stock with my 27" xtr's on 14s. Any help would be greatly appriciated! I am thinking about putting 4 stock grizzly 700 weights in and 4 kodiak 450 weights in and seeing if that combination is what I want.
    Have you tried contacting Dalton for advice? From my limited dealings with them, they seemed helpful.

There are a lot of variables in clutch tuning ( including the helix cut, primary and secondary spring rates, primary clutch weights and weight distribution)--not to mention the loaded weight of your machine, engine power, desired performance characteristics, and tire size. You are probably better off having a clutch tuner (such as Dalton), who can evaluate all of the above as a system, modify or adjust your clutch, rather than rely on well-meaning advice from a forum. You could easily make things worse.

I am thinking about putting 4 stock grizzly 700 weights in and 4 kodiak 450 weights in and seeing if that combination is what I want.
    Been there, done that. I couldn't tell any difference from stock weights.

I sent my clutch off and had it machined and added a shim. Much better now with my 27's.

not sure what comes in the dalton kit but for the grizzly there is no better kit than the EPI kit that comes with the wet clutch stall springs , weights and then add some shims . I've done a tone of stuff to my clutch on my grizzly 660 and the best was the EPI compitition stall springs ( makes the clutch engage 1000 rpm higher than stock ) This gives you that snap off the line that the grizzly is lacking . The shims give you Approx. 25 % lower gear ratio .I've went with lighter weights but thought it reved to high so I went with 4 stock and 4 lighter weights . If I could do it all over again I would save some $$$ and just buy the spring and shims on ebay for about $80 total and never look back . With springs and shims the grizz will pull the front wheels in high gear no prob.

well i weighed the dalton weights. they are 14.7 which is just about a half gram heavier than the kodiak weights. So i used 4 of those and 4 kodiak weights. Im assuming I will have the high revving people complain about, I am not sure how to get the stock clutch spring out though.

well i weighed the dalton weights. they are 14.7 which is just about a half gram heavier than the kodiak weights. So i used 4 of those and 4 kodiak weights. Im assuming I will have the high revving people complain about, I am not sure how to get the stock clutch spring out though.
    I would try that but leave your cvt cover off so you can try different weight setups and not have to take everthing back off this will save you a tone of time , but make sure to put the cage on before testing. I use a impact to get the seconday clutch off the spring is on the back side held on by a large nut , remove with impact . To install a new spring you will need a spring compressor , you can buy one or make a redneck one for like $10 at Lowes . What color spring are you going with. Check out this link it will give you some good info on the cvt , It's for the grizzly 660 clutch but just about the same .

http://www.grizzhopper.com/cvt-maint.html

Here is a great link on how to change a spring in your secondary and how to make your own spring compressor. http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...tallation.html

Posted this on another forum.
    It'll give you an idea of the difference between shims.
    Just multiple the speed by 1.6 to get approximate tire speeds.

Been messing with my primary clutch on my Grizzly 700 a little.
    Thought I'd post the non-scientific results.
    I ran down a level county road, it was snow packed with 2" of fresh powder.
    Stock with my Tatous 4s its GPS speed was 39.2mph.
    With a .020 shim in the primary it ran 38mph.
    With just a .030 shim it ran 37.4mph.
    With a .045 shim it ran 36.6mph.
    With a .060 shim it ran 35.8mph.
    1.5 mm is what you see a lot of people running for shims that's is about .060 shim.
    I'm torn between the .020 and .030 shim. I left the .030 in it for now.
    It seems to run a little easier down the road than the stock no shim.
    The .060 was way to low geared to suit me.
    If anybody with tracks want to mess with the shims this is what I got, your results may vary.
    Happy Trackin!!!
    "The older I get, the better I was."