Thread: kenai motor limits

Default kenai motor limits

can you use a 2 stroke to fish above the lower bridge
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

yes, you can if it is not more then 35 hp, and not in the month of july. But if I was you I would get a 4 stroke it wont be long and that is all they will allow on the river.

You can run it in July, just don't have a dipnet w/you tho.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

above the lower bridge? I thought that was were the motor restrictions start?

just got off the phone with a lady down there said 35or less above the bridge but none in july on the river and no 2 strokes at all after jan 1 2013
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

You will be able to run certain 2 strokes Ironartist. This is a link to the official rules.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/krsmamotorbtregsfaq.pdf

On March 1, 2008 new regulations went into effect addressing boat and motor requirements for the Kenai River Special
    Management Area.
    These regulations
     Prohibit the use of older two-stroke engines within the entire Special Management Area for the month of July. The
    exceptions to this are for those engines of recent manufacture that employ Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) technology. A
    list of those manufacturers are noted below. Beginning January 1, 2013, all older two stroke engines will no longer be
    allowed to operate within the Kenai River Special Management Area waters at any time of the year1.
     Allow for increases in maximum horsepower of engines to 50 hp (except for Kenai and Skilak Lake where horsepower
    is unrestricted), however, all engines in excess of 35 hp may not be an older two stroke technology but must be of a
    cleaner burning technology (Four stroke or DFI).
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Below the Ames bridge you can run anything but if you are dipping, a 2 stroke is prohibited, unless it is a fuel injection in the month of July.That was put into regulation by the BOF to come to terms with the Kenai special use management plan. The older two stroked will be entirely banned in 2013. There is a special use area above the bridge that limits engine size and such. What were you looking to do? King fish? Dipnet? Just run around and waste gas? Just asking?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Below the Ames bridge you can run anything but if you are dipping, a 2 stroke is prohibited, unless it is a fuel injection in the month of July.That was put into regulation by the BOF to come to terms with the Kenai special use management plan. The older two stroked will be entirely banned in 2013. There is a special use area above the bridge that limits engine size and such. What were you looking to do? King fish? Dipnet? Just run around and waste gas? Just asking?
    Just so it's clear to ironartist, if you are running a 2 sroke, it must be DFI (Direct Fuel Injected), an EFI (Electronic Fuel Injected) 2 stroke motor is not legal if you are dipnetting. For that matter, during the month of July on the Kenai you can only use a 2 stroke that is DFI. I've watched alot of people get tickets because they had an EFI 2 stroke and thought they were in the clear.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I have been reading on the Kenai all night and I'm just a little confused. I have a 2008 17' Alumaweld with a 60hp 4 stroke prop and a 8ph 4 stroke prop. I can use this below the Ames bridge correct? Is there a special sticker I need for my boat in the Kenai? I'm okay fishing up to the bridge correct? Just wanting to get out this spring and take a wack at a few kings!

Another general question, below the bridge to the mouth, how many miles is that and what would be an average mid channel depth. I figure the kings will be in that part of the river and I'm wanting to start picking up a few lure jensen jet divers and not sure what size. There is usually no bait allowed until July???

thanks for the clarifications and help!

I have a 2008 17' Alumaweld with a 60hp 4 stroke prop and a 8ph 4 stroke prop. I can use this below the Ames bridge correct?
    Correct, below the bridge is unlimited hp.

Is there a special sticker I need for my boat in the Kenai?
    No.

Another general question, below the bridge to the mouth, how many miles is that and what would be an average mid channel depth. I figure the kings will be in that part of the river and I'm wanting to start picking up a few lure jensen jet divers and not sure what size. There is usually no bait allowed until July???
    All I ever did was dipnet reds below the bridge so I can't help there.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I have been reading on the Kenai all night and I'm just a little confused. I have a 2008 17' Alumaweld with a 60hp 4 stroke prop and a 8ph 4 stroke prop. I can use this below the Ames bridge correct? Is there a special sticker I need for my boat in the Kenai? I'm okay fishing up to the bridge correct? Just wanting to get out this spring and take a wack at a few kings!

thanks for the clarifications and help!
    You can use your boat there, however it is not the best place to fish for kings. Not saying you can't or you wont catch any thing, but most people fish up the river a little bit. But like I said who knows your pretty much going to be first in line so maybe you will do better then every one else? You dont need divers until July, and you need at least a K16 for the kings with a 10-30 ft div. Also it is single hook so you will have to remove one of them and change the other to a single hook which is easy enough.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default The Lower Kenai

The Warren Ames Bridge is just beyond river mile 5.If you put in at the Kenai City Dock you are at river mile 1.5.There are a lot of shallow areas that change every year with the tides and current variations.Have a good depth finder and pay attention to it.As already mentioned not a whole lot of folks fish down there for Kings,but it is certainly do-able.All fish have to go thru the mouth to get any higher.As far as what size diver to use....you might try starting with a 20,see if that drags bottom and make adjustments as needed.You will not find too many deep holes that low in the river,plus there are some large tides that have to be considered.Food for thought

Thanks for the information, thoughts on kings in Early June in the lower river???

thanks again

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

My earliest King on the Kenai so far has been June 5th.Anyone been earlier ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    The world record king caught by Les Anderson on the Kenai was caught on May 17th.

Mark,
    I don't remember the exact date but the first year (2006) we came up to Alaska, my wife caught two (one on Kenai & one on Kasilof) between May 18th & May 25th.

May 11th for me.