Thread: cleaning station mat?

Default cleaning station mat?

hi all, is this what the commercial guys and others use to cover their cleaning station for slicing up fish?.....is there a certain height of fibres a guy should choose?...seems too high would be hard to clean!!...thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Hello
    I have use a rubber outside door mat that you can get anywhere, because you can wash it off and let it sit out and it will dry. I had a fiber one and it always stunk so I changed and have not had an issue for the last 7-8 years. i will have to change it this year because it is starting to look pretty bad.

Later
    Moose

Another tip is to put a grommet in the mat a couple inches from the edge and tie it off the side of the boat as you are cruising back in. It cleans up well. I prefer the rubber backed mats like moose talked about to the fiber ones, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Go to Wally world and they are downright cheap. Just your normal outdoor artificial turf looking mat, usually in green. Artificial green turf is the best, they wash up well, just dip in back into the water and are light enough to roll up too. Don't buy the heavy ones, too much bulk and thickness to them.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've seen the coconut mats on quite a few longliners. They work great as far as the fish won't slide around, but they are literally impossible to clean. I can't even imagine what would be growing in those mats after a summers worth of fish slime was on it. Go with the artificial turf version, as at least you have a fighting chance to clean it after use.

A dip in some Clorox and water and they smell fresh and you kill all the bugs to boot.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    A dip in some Clorox and water and they smell fresh and you kill all the bugs to boot.

hi potbuilder..is that what you do with the coca mat rug, dip it in clorox?....lots of good ideas here, thanks all,,,,will hit the wally world next days off and see what we can find!!.....cleaning fish, that is a "pink" job isnt it?..!....good thing my wife doesnt read this stuff!!....thanks all larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi potbuilder..is that what you do with the coca mat rug, dip it in clorox?....lots of good ideas here, thanks all,,,,will hit the wally world next days off and see what we can find!!.....cleaning fish, that is a "pink" job isnt it?..!....good thing my wife doesnt read this stuff!!....thanks all larry
    I spray down my whole bowpicker with clorox, let it sit a bit then hose her down good, sweetens the whole boat up!! I don't have any coco mats on the boat but i do have one of those big rubber floor mats from costco up by my reel/hauling station, fiberglass is hard on your feet(metal is worse) so the mat makes things nice and cushy.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I second what the wop said. artificial grass mats hold the fish and clean up nice.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

When I had an endless supply of burlap bags I saved a bunch. They work fine and only need to make it one trip, I pitch them after that. No sanitation issues.
    Mike

I quit using mat years ago because they stink!! Buy some clear carpet runner, mount it with the pointy nubs up. Holds fish better and it never smells, I have converted everyone who has seen my fish cleaning station. If you mount it on one end you can flip it out of the way for skinning.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com