Thread: honda 9.9

Default honda 9.9

Costco is carrying Honda 9.9s with a 4-blade prop for $2300-$2400. Seems like a very good price for a Honda. I didn't check the shaft length.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Not a bad deal at all, we paid AMDS $2319.00 for the exact same engine and prop in 2004, by the way we had the fuel supply come from the main fuel tank and I bet you could make to Hawaii on a full main .... that is at 6 to 7 mph. LOL. I am about 8,000 to 8,500 lbs and that little engine has saved my ***** acouple of times. The only problem I had was that the original mount was too high on the transom so that in 5 to 7 ft seas it would cavitate when it got too close to the surface of the water. Went to a heavy Gerlach for a bigger engine and mounted it lower, keeps more power on the water.

The 15 hp version is the same displacement engine but it reves higher, the electronic ignition ones are not convertable ... Oh well :~)

Our shaft length was "extra long" doubt Costco offers that one?

I had a long list and short amount of time there this afternoon. I suspect that it was a long shaft due to the "torque" prop. It seems like a fair price to me and no need to go to AMDS which is also a plus!

Be sure to check for regular shaft, long shaft and extra long shaft, comes in three lengths and we have extra long, I think you need the same length with you big boat .... good luck.

I wouldn't consider the 9.9 for mine, but the high thrust 20 might push me along close to hull speed. I don't think the 9.9 would do anything but point me into the storm, plus it would clash with my yamahas. Just figured I would post it since it looks like a fair buy for someone on the forum looking.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    plus it would clash with my yamahas.
    I knew you were all about style. Check at that bottle of Grand Marnier!

Thanks for the info. That's an awfully tempting deal. I wonder how much they'll go for when they go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I wouldn't consider the 9.9 for mine, but the high thrust 20 might push me along close to hull speed. I don't think the 9.9 would do anything but point me into the storm, plus it would clash with my yamahas. Just figured I would post it since it looks like a fair buy for someone on the forum looking.
    I agree with you that planing boats don't do so great at hull speed compared to sail boats of similar size. Yet with that said, I bet you'd go just about as fast with the 9.9 as the 20. If fact, the little 6 hp johnson my brother has on his 40 something foot bayliner at Priest Lake pushes it along at 5 mph at full throttle which surprised the heck out of me when he was cleaning it out after trolling for hours. Good thing the lakers are only interested in about 1.5 mph...LOL.. I would bet that max hull speed is only 7 mph on his boat so that little motor was close to pulling it off. Of course full throttle all day long wouldn't be good for it, but you're not going to go significantly faster no matter if you use a 20 hp motor, 10 hp, or even one smaller. If you are fighting a gale, well that changes things for sure, but why not just go the other way to a safe spot? I guess I am baffled that folks are really using and or considering a kicker/trolling motor to get them back to port in the snot (that aint you since you have twins). If it is crummy, I am hunkering down somewhere and going back when it is nice just I would if the boat was running right; this is especially true if I have to sit out in the rain on the tiller handle.....

I had both a 9.9hp high thrust and a 8hp high thrust Honda, so I tried them both on my 22 fiberglass, both pushed the boat a 5-6 MPH and the 8hp weight was 20+ pounds lighter. So I sold the 9.9 for $1500
    I bought used as most kickers never see 1000 hours, the goverment put these in a tank, ran, changed oil and all that and they wore out at 9000+

In current Honda models the 8 hp and the 9.9 hp weigh the same and the 15 & 20 hp models are only another 12 pounds. For only 12 pounds of weight and I will take the added HP. I know more HP will push my boat faster in the conditions I use it.

Default kicker hull speed vs. holding in wind

My understanding is that for the most part more HP in a kicker doesn't nececessarily mean it's going to move your boat faster. Basically you get up to hull speed and that's it, whether you have for example a 9.9 or a 30. So if you want to go faster with your kicker, then there's no need to buy a kicker with more HP. But let's say that your main engine goes out and it's windy as hell and all you want to do is use your kicker to either hold your boat in place or make way into the wind. In those instances, where you're not even trying to reach hull speed, wouldn't a kicker with 30 hp work better than one with 9.9? I'm a big advocate of kickers of any HP. The only time I've absolutely needed mine was when I was entering Surprise Cove at low tide. My engine (stern drive, single) alarm went off, steam was billowing out from the engine compartment, and I had to shut it down. The wind was about to blow my boat onto the rocks and I was able to get my kicker started just in a nick of time. As would be expected, the kicker had always started on the first try except for this one time.

My rationale for a bigger kicker is more HP equates to more thrust when you need it. One of my F250s will only push my hull at 10knts and a bit over 4000rpms with my current prop setup. With a much lower pitch I suspect I would pick up some speed, but I would still be plowing water. A single F350 won't even plane my pig. I know that I will still have enough forward power to make progress in the snot. That won't be happening with a 9.9 and probably not a 20...just saying.

I agree with several of the posts about hull speed and hp needed to make it happen. I had a 15 merc on a 22 ft searunner (mabey 4,000 lbs) and a 9.9 honda on the Osprey more than twice the weight, they both had the same speed when the big engine had a problem between 5 & 6 mph. Wind tides and waves are important in the discussion. With a long hull with waves greater than 5 ft. you run into the problem that as you crest a swell you tend to cavitate on the kicker loosing your bite on the water with the prop as you nose down heading for the trough. Tide amazingly enough did not appear to matter that much, my guess is that a 4 to 5 mph tide only cost me possibly 1 mph against it, skinny boat for its length. As far as wind goes I think a direct crosswind is the biggest problem perhaps stealing 20% of your forward progress plus dealing with the swells, roll a lot. With just the power of the kicker the only other issue is keeping the thrust on line, my kicker like most is off the center line of the boat ane there is always a little counter steer necessary ... what did Tom Hanks (Lovell) say in Appllo 13 .. first time in the lunar module... "I feal like I have an elephant on my back .... it is like learning to fly all over again" That little Honda is incredebally reliable ....