Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What round to go with for 7mm

Default What round to go with for 7mm

I've always been a bowhunter and don't know a lot about different rounds. I'm going to do some rifle hunts this year. Possibly a black bear this fall and I'm going on a sheep hunt to the Brooks in August. The sheep hunt is really what I need advice on. I am looking for opinions on the best round to use for sheep out of a Ruger M77 7mm Mag. But also something that I could kill a grizzly up there too if given the opportunity.

Thanks

Two rounds to consider:

My Ruger M77 loves the Fusion 150 gr. Not much for Grizzly but over it shoots them well for all other game.

As a general round for all 7mmRM it's hard to beat the 165 Nosler Partitions.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

There are a ton of good 7mm loads out there. The sheep is easy- any decent bullet that your rifle shoots well.

The griz is a little tougher... but a really good controlled expansion round (TSX, Partition, A-Frame, XP3, etc...) should do the trick. I'd likely go for the heavier weights like 175grs.

I would suggest swapping in a Timney before you go much farther, the factory triggers on those M77's can be a bit robust. It will save you some serious range time and help with bullet selection.

Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what a new trigger can do for me? That's something I don't know anything about. Who can do that in Anchorage and where can I get one?

I would go with the 160 grain accubond out of that bad boy for both target animals. As far as the trigger, Stan Jackson can make the factory trigger put a smile on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what a new trigger can do for me? That's something I don't know anything about. Who can do that in Anchorage and where can I get one?
    Good Day mossyhorn. I think what the posters are trying to say is - sheep can require longer range shots than a lot of first time hunters may be used too. Better quality triggers - or custom work on the trigger you have like Lujon suggests - will make it much smoother and crisper and probably lighter so it will go off more consistently which is supposed to increase your accuracy... By the time you drop all that sweat climbing those mtns you sure don't want a miss if it can be avoided. However, along with a trigger - or without - range time shooting your gun at longer distances should be done - and quite a bit of it...
    A decent rangefinder and setting yourself realistic range limits is also a good idea!
    Hope that helps.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks,

I do plan on spending lots of time shooting, from now till the season rolls around. Lujon, where can I find Stan Jackson?

you may ask Stan about the pros/cons of tuning a factory trigger over replacing with an adjustable trigger like the Timney. Timneys are only $80 or so.

As Smokey said about having a decent trigger, it's pretty important. Some folks like their M77 trigger right out of the box, mine I wasn't so lucky. Lots of travel, real stiff pull. Made it really tough to get consistent groups at 100 yds. Let alone at some of the distances people shoot sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Thanks,

I do plan on spending lots of time shooting, from now till the season rolls around. Lujon, where can I find Stan Jackson?
    This is the number I have in my notes. It's been a couple years since I called him though (might be time to again though!)... 349-3854

If you can get a hold of somone to reload for you Barnes X has some 195gr. Only place I have seen 195gr for 7mm.
    Shot my brownie with 175gr out of my 7mm.

After shooting a 7MM for 20 years, the only weight I carry is 160. I really liked the old Failsafes if I wasn't reloading, the Winchester XP3 in 160 grains is it's replacement and appears to be as good a round. Buy a couple of boxes at Sportsman's as soon as you see them on the shelves as they go quick.

I want to second LuJon' post about the 160 Accubond. I push those with 64 grs of IMR 7828 and they are absolute tack drivers. I pulled a couple out of the dirt after some target practice and was getting 90%-95% weight retention with great mushrooming. I haven't shot them, but I've heard real good things about the Partitions as well.

I can tell you from experience that deer, elk, black bear, and caribou have immediate fatal reactions to 165 gr. partitions.

I just got my gun today, well it's my dad's old rifle, he shipped it up to me. I topped it with a Zeiss 3-9x40 conquest with rapid-z reticle. Wow, what a nice scope! I spoke with them at the shop and also recommended 160 accubonds. I also called and spoke with Stan Jackson and will drop by his shop on Sunday and have some trigger work done.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

If it's an older M77 it could have the adjustable trigger that would make life nice.

It was manufactured in 1977

I have a 77R made in the 70's in 280 cal and it has a wonderful trigger - breaks at 2.75 lbs....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

+1 for Stan Jackson on the trigger job. The better (crisp pull & reasonably light weight of pull 2-3lbs.) your trigger is the better you will shoot with your rifle. I'm assuming you don't reload your own ammo, so I'd recommend something you can easily buy. 7mm RUM, 7mm RM, or 7mm WSM. You could easily get a Remington 700 SPS stainless/synthetic in the 7mm RM & RUM. The 7mm RM with a 3-9 scope would be hard to beat.

Brett

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If you're talkin Factory Loads, I'd suggest Federal's 160 grain Nosler Partition.

I've never shot a bar with that load. I'm not a bear shooter, but I like to be prepared.

In case you do run into a grizzly, I think it prudent that you have a "heavy for caliber" bullet, AND, the ,proven to penetrate well, Nosler Partition.

The 7mm Mag. shoots the 140 grain bullets reely fast, and I'm afraid they wouldn't penetrate well on a bear, at close range where the velocity is greatest. That's why I suggest at least 160, or even 175 grain bullets for 7mm Mag. They will shoot flat enough, too.

They oughta do fine on a Sheep. I know they'll do a Caribou in quick-like.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast