Thread: Omega/sabot problems

Question Omega/sabot problems

Myself, Sal, and Flyer55 can't be the only three people with T/C Omega/sabot starting problems. If you have had the same problem I've had... What was your remedy?
    Does T/C know about these problems? I've e-mailed T/C, but haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone have any info on this, or how T/C is addressing the problem? I doubt T/C will lap your barrel if you return it to them (for free), since the barrel dimensions fall into the manufacturer's tolerance. The barrel isn't defective, you just can't load sabots... even T/C's sabots.

Any inputs would be appreciated.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I don't have experience with the Omega or a solution, but I think another experience is worth hearing. Thank goodness it's a TC!

In the world of traditional muzzleloaders no one has a better warranty or rep for service than TC, so I have to assume it extends to their nontraditional products. Among traditional users the word is out that it's best to pick up the phone and call direct rather than emailing. I know folks who have bought second- or third-hand 25-year old kits put together by someone else (usually ham-handed) who had repair parts sent absolutely free and quickly by TC. One guy even backed his truck over his and broke the stock, but TC didn't charge him for a new stock. Same for repairs done by TC.

I'd say that you have a heck of a partner waiting to help sort out the problem, so pick up the phone and talk to their repair folks. This is certainly a better time to do it than close to the hunting season, just in case they want you to send the Omega back to them.

Thumbs up Amen

exactly the reason why I didn't hesitate in spending the extra dollars to buy a quality gun. This was going to be mom's first attempt at muzzleloading, so I didn't want to discourage her with an inferior weapon. Mission accomplished.... she is hooked. She missed the biggest buck she's ever attempted to shoot at this fall. 130 yards out and under shot it. Would have been brown and down if she had her 243... so she says. Muzzleloading has extended her season, and provided a challenge that was lacking a little. She has never missed a deer in her five years of deer hunting. This was a learning/humbling experience. One she is reminded of quite often now.

The X7 is a great little muzzleloader, I have no quality issues with it or T/C. I just got a barrel on the low side of the tolerance. May have been a new reamer, shrunk a little in the tempering process, don't know, but I'm sure T/C will prove their worth in fixing the problem.

I'm just out of pocket right now (deployed) and can't act on it. Just trying to pick some brains on suggestions that could possibly remedy the situation in the interim.

I've heard too many horror stories about "other" makers and their customer service/satisfaction. Lyman and T/C are the only ones I'll consider.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

If the end of your deployment is likely to squeeze your hunting season or cut her out of some practice, you might want to have her ship it back to them now. I can't find the phone #, but here's what it says about returns on their site:

Returns

All returns must ship to:
    Thompson/Center Arms Company, Inc.
    400 North Main St.
    Rochester, New Hampshire 03867

Attn: Service Department

Service For Your Thompson/Center firearm:

Should your gun require adjustment, repair or refinishing, we strongly recommend that the gun be returned to the factory. There is no other way to ensure that the work will be done by a competent staff or trained technicians.

Guns returned to the factory should be marked for the attention of the Service Department. A letter explaining the problem should be enclosed with the gun, please include your physical address and phone number. Adherence to these suggestions will prevent loss of time and facilitate handling at the factory.

Our Service Department will give your gun a complete inspection. They will evaluate the problem or problems specified in your cover letter. If the work required is not covered by our “Lifetime Warranty” you will receive a quotation which must be authorized by you. No actual work will be done without your approval.

Return Shipments can be shipped via UPS, FedEx or mail at your cost. Repaired product will be shipped back to you via FedEx requiring an adult signature upon receipt.

Limited Lifetime Warranty:

Thompson/Center Arms provides a warranty for all factory finished firearms for the Lifetime of the original consumer purchaser. Any such firearms or part thereof returned, postage paid, to the factory at Rochester, New Hampshire 03867, will be repaired or replaced to our commercial standards free of charge , and returned to the consumer purchaser postage prepaid. This warranty is established by return of our authorized warranty card which should be done within thirty (30) days of purchase.

This warranty does not cover any damage caused by custom alteration of the firearm! Services performed by the Thompson/Center Custom Shop do not void the warranty. Thompson/Center Arms reserves the right to refuse to repair or replace firearms, or parts thereof, damaged by abuse or misuse. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Address all correspondence and inquiries to the address shown on the cover of this booklet.

What type of sabots were you shooting? I was using Barnes Spitfires. I wonder if the hardness of the copper had a bearing on the tight fit. Tried some TC Cheap Shots (all lead) for practice and they loaded easier. I can't speak for other jacketed bullets because I haven't shot them in this rifle. It's definitely more intrinsically accurate than the guy who shoots it, so I'll put up with a little extra push if the trade off is accuracy. I may have to try the Power Belts. It sounds as if they like barrels on the tight side.

Default never tried lead sabots

Brownbear-- thanks for the info, I'll forward and see what she wants to do.

Flyer55-- tried the Hornady SST 250gr, Barnes Expander MZ 250gr, T/C Shockwave 250gr, T/C Superglide (two pedal) Shockwave 250gr, Hornady XTP 180gr, Hornady XTP 300gr, Granted these are all copper jacketed.

Powerbelt 295gr loaded more readily. The accuracy was what's to be expected (1-2" @ 50 peep sight). The tighter bore seemed to seal the powerbelts. I personally don't have a lot of experience with powerbelts, but from what I've heard and read, they have gas sealing issues in a more open bore. I don't use them in any of my percussion guns, but they seemed to work well in the X7. My Lyman GPH, T/C Hawken, and T/C Hawken #2 won't shoot them to my liking. *now the Barnes Expander MZ is another story... man I love that sabot, can't say enough good things about it*

T/C Maxi-Hunter 350gr was the round I decided on (it loaded the easiest). They are lubed, which was only going to help. They are reputable. They have amazing knockdown power, and they shot just as good as the powerbelts for a little less money. Downside: they do have considerably more drop than the sabots. I am loading an 80gr pyrodex pellet load (for reduced recoil). (The X7 is light, and has a pretty good pop to it when loaded for bear)

Wanting to stick to the 80gr pellet load is my main factor behind wanting a 180-250gr sabot round. I have topped the X7 with a Nikon 4X to help her with aiming. She found out the peep is the size of a deer's side at 130 yards. I'm not concerned with keeping "traditional" with her, just want her to have fun with the rest of us. If I can flatten out the trajectory without sacrificing terminal performance, that's what I'm going to do.

Thumbs up MMP Sabots

The bores are tighter on TC.....you have to use the new EZ load sabots form MMP that are made for the TC.
    Alaska

Makes sense when you think about it. When having rifles built, "true" bore diameter is simply one of the variables to include in your planning. There is a range of sizes available, depending on the manufacturer. A 0.429" bore could be anywhere from 0.4285" to 0.430" for example. The manufacturers usually spec to the next decimal place, and they are pretty consistent.

I could see where TC might spec 0.4995" rather than 0.500" or larger simply to get a bit tighter seal and wring a little more accuracy and velocity from their guns. A bore 0.0005" smaller won't be noticed when chambering a cartridge into a chamber with a throat, but when you are using a stick to push the bullet from the one end of the barrel to the other, it could be a big deal.

Great tip on the MMP sabots.

Has anyone talked to TC about tight bores and asked for recommendations?

Unhappy T/C superglides???

Alaska Bushman correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same sabot/philosophy that is used in the new "T/C Superglide Shockwave Sabots"... If so, they wouldn't load either. I see that the MMP EZ loads are a three petal design, where the T/C S.S. Sabots are a two petal. Knight makes their "EZ load sabot". I'm assuming this is an MMP sabot. I will have to give them a try. Thanks for the MMP suggestion.

Thumbs up EZ Load Sabot

Go to the MMP website, the EZ Load sabot are made for TC because of the tighter bore.

www.mmpsabots.com

Excellent rifle nothing wrong with it!
    Alaska

Thumbs up T/C Omega and Sabots

I read this post and thought I'd share.

My father and I both shoot Omega's and he uses 777 powder while I shoot American Pioneer Powder. He can shoot 3 shots with his hornady sabots before he can cram a bullet down the barrell anymore. I had the same issues when I shot 777 and Pyrodex but after switching powder I can load any sabot and shoot accurately. I didn't clean my gun for 4 months this hunting season and over 40 shots and sabots - T/C Shockwave my personal favorite loaded just like the first time.

Maybe powder change will help - also accuracy 5" group at 200 yards with a 3X9 scope too.

I have not tried Omega or a solution.