Thread: Falling off logs

Default Falling off logs

FALLING OFF LOGS

The view from our stack of logs.

The air was cool and the sky was a beautiful blue. The morning was filled with birds gathering food and squirrels chasing each other, leaping from branch to branch. My grandson and I were deer hunting and sitting on a large stack of pine logs left by loggers. The top of the stack was a good ten feet up in the air and gave us a natural stand to hunt from.

Jordan got real excited when two does came within fifteen yards of us, but we were only allowed to hunt bucks. We both watched in silence, as the deer never noticed us being there. They slowly browsed for food and finally walk away. I have always loved hunting with Jordan. He is a fine boy and a great grandson who loves his family, and is so kind to his friends, and so much fun to be with. We sat there for a couple of hours talking to each other in a muffled voice so as not to scare off any deer. Yeah!!! Right!!! Jordan wanted to talk, and being ten years old it is hard to sit still for a couple of hours. We have not taken many deer while hunting together, but it sure has been a lot of fun. We talked about the creation around us, and how God’s handy work in creation was so awesome and amazing. We talked football, and everything from tadpoles to lions in Africa, as well as many other things of interest to him.

When it was time for us to get down from the stack of logs, I took our guns and unloaded them. I held them while Jordan climbed down and was firmly standing on the ground. I then handed Jordan his rifle, and as I was about to hand him the other gun, my foot slipped and I fell off the backside of the logs. It was eight feet straight down, and I was stopped at the bottom by the corner of a log hitting me right in the middle of my chest. I momentarily lost my vision and only saw little bright stars. I tried to gasp for air but could not get my lungs to work. I was dizzy and felt like I would soon pass out and the pain was excruciating. I tried to stand but my legs would not respond, and I was still trying to gasp for that first gulp of air I so desperately needed. I knew I could not panic at this moment, even though things seemed to be really bad. It was important for me to try and breathe, so I would not pass out and end up being unconscious, because of Jordan.

Then all of a sudden I heard Jordan say, “Paw-Paw, are you all right?” I barely got a word out of my mouth at that point, but tried to give Jordan some assurances by saying, “I think I will be ok.” I guess it was not very convincing. Jordan immediately responded, “Paw-Paw, I am going to get the four wheeler and come back and get you.” Now, that four-wheeler was a good quarter of a mile a way and on top of that, it was suffering from a bad carburetor that needed some work. It would not start easily. Although I had spent the last three years teaching him how to drive and operate the four-wheeler, I was concerned that he would not get it started. As I slowly got to my feet and took my first real deep breath of air, a sharp pain shot throughout my chest. I knew this was not good and I started to object, but before I could get another word out of my mouth, Jordan said, “Paw-Paw, I am taking my rifle, but will not put a bullet in the chamber unless I need it. You stay right here and don’t move, I will be back for you,” as he turned and walked away as though he was a twenty year old man.

I immediately started talking to God in prayer to take care of Jordan and let us get out of the woods. A few minutes later I heard the four-wheeler start up and hear came Jordan. He never panicked and never lost control of his purpose. As he drove up I started to walk toward him and he said, “Paw-Paw, stop I’m coming.” I can’t tell you how proud I was of my grandson. He remained controlled throughout the entire ordeal. He overcame any fear of going alone to get the four-wheeler, because his love for someone else was greater than his fear.

Our love for others will overpower our fear.

Love is that powerful.

Love can change bad things into good things.

Love never fails.

“Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
    Romans 12:10
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Great story! And thanks for the witness!

That is a nice story to wake up to. Thank you. I will carry that with me.

Sounds like a great kid with a good upbringing. "That's a good kid Paw-Paw" I could not help myself from thinking of those camper city ads when I saw your location
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

YEAH!! When I saw you post "That's a good kid Paw-Paw" I immediately said to myself, man that expression is all over the place now.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well done Beartooth! Glad it turned out well - did you break any ribs?
    My grandsons are 2 and 4 1/2 - the older one is exceptionally smart the younger one just a tough little nut - will be interesting to see how they act as they grow and hopefully become my little partners!
    My son has bailed me out a couple times - not sure this getting smarter as you get older thing really applies in my case?
    Thanks for sharing! Got a pic of that youngster to share with us?
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I was fortunate not to break anything. I do not put my grandchildren pictures on the net. They need to be older I hope you understand. Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I immediately started talking to God in prayer to take care of Jordan and let us get out of the woods. A few minutes later I heard the four-wheeler start up and hear came Jordan. He never panicked and never lost control of his purpose. As he drove up I started to walk toward him and he said, “Paw-Paw, stop I’m coming.” I can’t tell you how proud I was of my grandson. He remained controlled throughout the entire ordeal. He overcame any fear of going alone to get the four-wheeler, because his love for someone else was greater than his fear.
    Wow, Beartooth, What a Great Story, Thanks for passing that on to us.

I highlighted some of Jordan's response, as while reading, I couldn't help but think,

"I'll Bet he was also Talking to God, about the whole situation, "Help Me, to Take Care of my Grandpa,....."
    His response is really a powerful example of walking in Peace and Guidance,...
    Amazing, isn't it, God and the Little Children...

Also, it's pretty apparent, "He's been watching and learning from someone,..." Knew right where to go for help.
    Good Job both of you,

How Incredibly cool is that ?? Hope You're Ok, now, recovering well,.....??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks for those kind words. Yes, it is amazing, God and his little children.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for sharing Beartooth...../John

Glad I checked into read this Mike... I always read your posts. Funny how God reminds us of how fragile and dependant we are

We are dependent for sure.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

God watches out for us and protects us!

It's sure scary to get hurt when an ambulance isn't near by. Glad you were ok! I was cutting brush once up in the mountains and got my feet tangled up, landed flat on my back on a spike stump (you cut 'em that way when you get tired and lazy). I thought I'd skewered myself, it hurt me to my soul. The sounds that came out of my mouth were unearthly (couldn't even cuss) Luckily, it caught a rib right behind my heart and bruised me very badly. Talk about being looked after....

Be careful out there folks, it only takes a second.