Thread: Crosswind trail

Default Crosswind trail

Hey I bought a Cabin on a Lake with 10 acres and no I have not been there yet
    I bought it about 2 years ago, I have many pictures of the cabin and you can
    see Lake louise from my cabin.

Its about 5 miles east of Lake Louise off the Crosswind Lake trail, I bought it as a
    turn key cabin, The man I bought it from is a DR. in Anchorage and he built the
    cabin back in 1985.

I just was looking at photos and found a picture of the so. tolsonic trail and it
    looked very drivable.

Then I saw a map and it showed a boat ramp on Lake louise so I was thinking you can drive on those trails.

why would there be a boat ramp if you cant load and unload a boat.

thats what I was wondering about.

Lake Louise has several boat launches. What good does that do you if you are 5 miles east? Most of the land on the lake is private, there is one trail heading east just north of the island. I would believe that summer access would include ATVing from the Jan Lake Trailhead around or up the Crosswinds lake trail. Both can be vary nasty. I believe it is 4.5 hours to Crosswinds from Tolsona Lodge.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

The boat launch I am refering to is at or about the Crosswind Lake trail, Thats why I mentioned it, I am talking about
    the north-south seismic trail to crosswind lake trail that is were the boat launch is.

If you can see LL from your place, boat access from anywhere is impossible.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by oregon redneck View Post
    Hey I bought a Cabin on a Lake with 10 acres and no I have not been there yet
    I bought it about 2 years ago, I have many pictures of the cabin and you can
    see Lake louise from my cabin.

Its about 5 miles east of Lake Louise off the Crosswind Lake trail, I bought it as a
    turn key cabin, The man I bought it from is a DR. in Anchorage and he built the
    cabin back in 1985.

I just was looking at photos and found a picture of the so. tolsonic trail and it
    looked very drivable.

Then I saw a map and it showed a boat ramp on Lake louise so I was thinking you can drive on those trails.

why would there be a boat ramp if you cant load and unload a boat.

thats what I was wondering about.
    Driveable with what? Seismic trails may or may not be drivable with ATVs and track rigs in the spring/summerfall before too much snow has accumulated.

If that area of the trail was driveable at any time of the year, it would be a muddy mess with water holes and rocks showing. It appears to be smooth, but after you have walked a mile of tundra you will see that it is very rough. When wet, ATVs make soup then mud.
    Bill Hicks

I wish you the best in your access to your cabin... I will tell you that you will have access issues if you are trying to get from tolsona lake, "using the existing "trail" to Lake Louise. If you can give us more specific location, we can help you out more.. winter may be your only access by snowmachine.. or summer with a tracked vehicle, and a winch

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

There is a guy that runs into his cabin all year with an air cooled snowmachine. Add some bogies and stay in the water puddles. I still think Jan Lake trail is going to be the fastest and closest. I suggest an Argo on tracks or a 6X6 with tracks.
    Bill Hicks

Seems like maybe the easiest thing to do, would be to ask the Dr. how he got to the cabin. If he's still locatable.

BTW - Ret25yo and I are probably your closest neighbors that frequent this site. There are a couple more including 1 within 5 miles of your place but he isn't on here much.
    Bill Hicks

I've hiked many miles of the Crosswind trail. There is a public spot where you can put your canoe where crosswind trail starts at Lake Louise. It's never too crowded, and would be an easy hike to your property with hip boots. I wouldn't suggest leaving a large boat due to the waves. Just pull a canoe up into the woods, and It'll be there when yah get back. If yah need a scout to show you the way, let me know. My land is way the heck back there. and way the heck off crosswind trail. An ATV will probably only do yah well during the dry season. If your ankles are strong, hip boots and the sht you can put on your back will be your best freind, along with a good paddling canoe like a 17 ft. tripping canoe. Other n that, winter access will be very good.

The problem with that is you have to canoe 4.5 miles on a lake that is not canoe friendly all the time. Sometimes it isn't even boat friendly. Lake Louise can go from flat to 4 foot rollers in 10 minutes.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks for all the nice replies, The Dr. I bought the cabin from ownes a plane and snowmachines he said if I came up
    he would fly me in and show me all about the cabin he seems to be a very nice man. I have looked for land and or a cabin
    for a few years now and well this place was in my price range, I calculated the price of land and the building of a cabin
    that includes flying materials in and I bought this place because he gave me such a good deal on it, He even paid all the
    closing costs on the place pretty cool I thought.

Anyway I only plan to use it in the summer but I was told its very nice in the winter also the owner says you can hear the
    Aurora Borealis crackle and he says the cabin stays very warm even at -45. I did work out a deal with him on the cabin
    I ask him if he can do simple repairs when needed I will pay for all the costs and he can use the cabin as he always has
    except when i come up.

I would like to fly in a canoe for there is only a rubber raft at the cabin now.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    The problem with that is you have to canoe 4.5 miles on a lake that is not canoe friendly all the time. Sometimes it isn't even boat friendly. Lake Louise can go from flat to 4 foot rollers in 10 minutes.
    ive seen it happen.....that lake can get serious in a hurry

Release Lake Trout

I have a cabin approximately 3 miles as the crow flys east of Lake Louise. In the winter time there are many trails to access my cabin and it takes only about 15 to 20 minutes from Lake Louise Lodge.

In the summer time I mainly use the 4-wheeler to get there via the Jan Lake Trail (a.k.a. the seismic trail or tolsona trail) right off of Lake Louise road. Depending on the condition of the trail it can take as little as 1 1/2 hours to get there or up to 8 hours. It can be a very muddy trail with lots of winching if it's a wet summer. Although it's 3 miles as the crow flys, it's 11 trail miles in the summer. Give Jerry Lee (Lee's Air Taxi) a call and he can fly you out to your cabin.