Thread: Why no airboat advertising in Alaska, does the public hate us so bad????

Default Why no airboat advertising in Alaska, does the public hate us so bad????

I read a few Alaska mags on occasion. Alaska, Alaska Fishing and just receintly was looking at Hunt Alaska. I don't recall ever seeing any airboat builders advertising their product. Even our local builder, Airboats Alaska doesn't advertise (at least he is in the boat show however). Just read in Hunt Ak about a hunt, where the writer described standing on top of his atv to spot moose. The pic in the article was dark background, but sure looked like a airboat he was standing on. Sounds like people don't even admit to owning a airboat or using one if they want to get their article published. Are airboats that bad in the eyes of the public?? I know we all get the bird on a regular basis. Before I got mine (airboat not bird), I didn't really care for the things, just loud and obnoxous to me. I'd like to see airboats become more accepted and not viewed so negatively. Do others agree, or would u rather just consider the less airboats, the better for us in the areas we can go that others can't. Any ideas. Bud

You see and read more about Alaska airboating in the Flordia publications like Marsh Rider and Airboating magazine then up here.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

OK..this is coming from a guy that knows nothing about airboats, but a guy that really has no problem with them in many cases.

I don't think airboats in Alaska have a good reputation amongst the general public. There are enough clowns in the airboat community that have ruined it for the good airboat guys, just like snowmachiners have had to deal with for years. I think the biggest issue is noise. The only complaints about airboats I ever hear is the noise factor. There is no denying that airboats are noisier than jetboats. Even with mufflers they are louder. It's my understanding that the prop blades are a big factor in the noise too. Cure that issue and I bet the objection amongst the public would deminish considerably.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think the folks without the airboats are just jealous of those that do own them! I know I was, so I bought one.
    Afterall, an airpplane lifting off the sandbar or buzzing the river/mtn side is equally as noisy if not louder than the recent production of airboats. (Go to Lake Hood and try to have a conversation on the lake side as a 180 takes off and it's prop tips are breaking the sound barrier) Counter rotating props, marine muffled engines, etc... are making the boats quiter than many of the older big inboards running the rivers today. Most people I know don't care for the airboat for reasons mentioned above....till I take them for a ride....then they see what they are capable of and want one themselves. They always leave with a smile on their faces.
    I sure am proud of mine, in fact I am selling my jetboat next week cause I haven't used it since I bought the new ride.
    I'm glad everyboday doesn't own an airboat or all our inaccessable area that we frequent would be overun like the mouth of the Deshka during king season.
    BK

I think Doug is right... again. To me, airboats are possibly the most annoying invention known to man (when used inappropriately). Think about it BK, if your standing next to lake hood, a plane takes off. In 20 seconds you can not even hear it...well that and Lake Hood is an AIRPORT, LOL..your comparing apples and UFOs.

From my house, I can hear an airboat coming for a solid 15 minutes before it gets there and another 15 minutes after it passes.

The place where I see airboats, there is no need for them. If they were necessary to be there, I would be in one, right? So as long as airboats only go where only THEY CAN go. Then the public should have no problems, as we will never hear them

If what you say about newer quieter airboats is true, that is a good thing. But from what I hear, there is not any possible way you can compare an airboat to an jet outboard as far as noise...I mean not even in the same universe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I think the folks without the airboats are just jealous of those that do own them! I know I was, so I bought one.
    Afterall, an airpplane lifting off the sandbar or buzzing the river/mtn side is equally as noisy if not louder than the recent production of airboats. (Go to Lake Hood and try to have a conversation on the lake side as a 180 takes off and it's prop tips are breaking the sound barrier) Counter rotating props, marine muffled engines, etc... are making the boats quiter than many of the older big inboards running the rivers today. Most people I know don't care for the airboat for reasons mentioned above....till I take them for a ride....then they see what they are capable of and want one themselves. They always leave with a smile on their faces.
    I sure am proud of mine, in fact I am selling my jetboat next week cause I haven't used it since I bought the new ride.
    I'm glad everyboday doesn't own an airboat or all our inaccessable area that we frequent would be overun like the mouth of the Deshka during king season.
    BK

Dkwarthog,
    I guess we'll agree to disagree.
    I live at Finger Lake in the valley, planes come and go all the time. I have a place on the Deshka, planes land in front of my place all the time and buzz us while fishing. Personally, I enjoy the sound and love seeing them fly by. My friends own planes and stop by, the noise is part of flying just like runnning an airboat. Again, living at Finger lake there are literally hundreds of boats that came to that lake every spring to run them after the ice goes out as it is one of the first lakes to thaw. Large inboards have a definite roar to them. To me it's music. I love it. And yes, I can hear them for 3 miles away as they make laps around the lake. It's the sound of spring out there!
    Sooo, where are you seeing airboats where there is no need for them?
    With that thinking, I see jetboats on the Big Su where one could run a prop boat. Hell, I see tons of Thunderjets and Customwelds on the ocean, should we only run props there too cause the bayliner guy doesnt like the noise they make when they pull into a cove at night....I don't think so. It's not my business to tell them where or where they cannot run their rigs. Its a free country and they own the toys to play on a public waterway.
    I suppose if it bothered me I would avoid the area where the noise activity is.
    It's like complaining that the factory next door makes noise, yet I bought my house there knowing full well it was in operation.
    Anywho, I suppose this thread wasn't necessarily about what you or I think and is getting a little off topic. Back to Akblackdawg's question and answering.

Its all good BK, Im not trying to start anything.

In reading my post, I make it sound like a bigger deal than it is for me. I'm talking about airboats on the big su. No need for them in general, but I'm not saying they should be outlawed or anything...heck I've probably seen YOU come by my place...you jerk

I do think that the lack of advertizing is partially an attempt to keep airboating on a low profile. Once airboat use reaches a critical mass, I think there will be a pushback against them, jmo. Maybe it's just such a niche market that they figure if you want an airboat, you will go looking for them...

It's all good!
    Thats why this forum is great. We can debate and let our opinions fly.
    I hope no one else buys an airboat, then my spots might get too crowded!
    BK

[QUOTE=I do think that the lack of advertizing is partially an attempt to keep airboating on a low profile. Once airboat use reaches a critical mass, I think there will be a pushback against them, jmo. Maybe it's just such a niche market that they figure if you want an airboat, you will go looking for them...[/QUOTE]

This could very well be the answer I was looking for. And yes I know airboats are used in many areas that they are not needed. However, one thing to keep in mind, is that many of those areas that they are not needed, are not accesable by road to put ins for the boat. People with airboats must ususlly run navigable waterways like the Big Su to access the swamps and skinny water that they are going to hunt. In many of us can only have one boat, so the airboat becomes a multi use boat, rather then just for skinny wanter. If I can get the leaks fixed in mine, most likely I will use it also for some trout fishing on local lakes this summer in addition to its intended purpose. Bud

Why advertisze, when you have all the work you can handle and because of the special items needed to build and repair airboats nobody wants to open up a new shop; and because of the cost of doing business in Alaska an airboat company that want to sell boats in Alaska have no plans on opening a shop.

Hi There Guys I Would Like To Advertize But I Stay Busy And I Don't Like To Take Away From Other Customers, I'm Hopeing That I Will Have Time To Go Fishing With My Family This Summer, Last Year I Worked Seven Days Aweek. But If You Need Some Thing I'm Going To Bend Over Backwards To Help Anyone That Needs It. I Hope You Understand I Have Two Jobs I Work For The US Army And I Have My Airboat Bussiness, Skip

I dig airboats, and have no problem w/ them. except when the roar through spawning beds willy-nilly. I think it goes along w/ responsibility though.

I used to have a jet boat and it bothers me when I went up a stream tearing up the bottom, so when I was looking into airboats I found they compress the water and it has little or no effect on the river bottom. Jet boats are so bad I donít understand why they let them on salmon streams.

I think the reason you don't see more advertisement is as listed above 1) shops are already busy enough and don't need to advertise (saving them money), and 2) they don't want the extra competition or attention for a variety of reasons. I tried to get into Alaska Airboats last year and had a decent (but well worth it) wait. Anytime you have a business and don't need to advertise to stay busy you know your doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I used to have a jet boat and it bothers me when I went up a stream tearing up the bottom, so when I was looking into airboats I found they compress the water and it has little or no effect on the river bottom. Jet boats are so bad I donít understand why they let them on salmon streams.
    Airboats may have 'little or no effect on the river bottom' when your running on (or in) sufficient water but they still create wakes, can travel over sensitive grass lands, tundra and swamps, are louder than most other recreational vehicles and can negatively impact their surroundings leaving behind a foot-print. I've yet to find a perfect recreational vehicle that leaves no 'foot-print' - jet, air, or otherwise.

That said, I run an inboard jet and frequently see/pass airboat's on the Big Sue every year during bear season. While I don't personally care for the noise I wouldn't ask why they are allowed "on salmon streams" or lobby against their use as long as they follow the established rules and requirements (as we all should) and act responsibly. Alaska's big enough for all of us - once we are divided and someone finds a way to limit and/or remove one user group among us it won't be long before they come for the rest of us and turn Alaska into a larger park than it already is.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.