Thread: Non-lethal grouse opportunities

Default Non-lethal grouse opportunities

Hey Gang:

I have a german shorthair/chocolate lab mix that would like to sniff at some roosts and flush a bird or two. She loves to retrieve but is supremely satisfied just to get some scent in her face. My thought is to get her near birds, forest or otherwise. Would I like to carry a firearm and harvest one, of course, but I'm just interested in getting Gypsy back into the action to keep her primed and encouraged.

I guess I'm thinking local (Anchorage to Willow, preferably nearest to Wasilla) just to keep the time and money costs down.

Please reply publicly or via PM if you prefer.

Prairie Guy 13

It would be easier to find some ptarmigan, I suspect. Head for the high, treeless country. If you're not shooting, but just looking for birds for the dog to sniff and chase, perhaps up near Arcitc Bowl would work? Those living closer to you will likely chime in with some better locations. Good luck.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Hey Gang:

I have a german shorthair/chocolate lab mix that would like to sniff at some roosts and flush a bird or two. She loves to retrieve but is supremely satisfied just to get some scent in her face. My thought is to get her near birds, forest or otherwise. Would I like to carry a firearm and harvest one, of course, but I'm just interested in getting Gypsy back into the action to keep her primed and encouraged.

I guess I'm thinking local (Anchorage to Willow, preferably nearest to Wasilla) just to keep the time and money costs down.

Please reply publicly or via PM if you prefer.

Prairie Guy 13
    Nothing beats knowledge. You should get her some wings. If you don't want to shoot the bird, ask someone here to donate a pair to your dog.

Her instincts might be right, but they'll be perfected by knowledge. If she falls in love with the wings, she'll find birds everywhere they are.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Better Title

I have frequented the Crevasse-Moraine system and been to Hatcher's Pass on the Wasilla side a couple of times. I should have titled the thread better, "Where do you folks go that's public access, nearby, and might have birds, even if you can't harvest them?"

I'm not a very good dog trainer, I was just blessed with a pooch that is energetic and listens to a few basic commands and will do whatever she can to track down bird sign.

PG13

PG13
    In my younger years I used to think everything had a logic to it.. and had to follow rigidly follow that logic... i.e. ptarmigan had to be at a certain elevation, alpine meadows, etc... in my later years i realized the d$mn birds are gonna be where ever they want to be when ever they want... I've seen ptarmigan crossing the road on the way down to the winter parking spot near the Burma Road Landing on the Little Su... I've seen the d&mn birds running down the road on the way to the Deshka Landing.... and I've chased them with my old single shot 16ga up in some alpine meadows at the top of the talkeetnas... good hunting..../John