Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot Puller Questions, gas vs electric???

Question Pot Puller Questions, gas vs electric???

After several years of handhauling my shrimp and crab gear, I have decided to buy a pot puller for my boat this year. I'm trying to decide between the gas and electric models, and I could use some help from those that have used these before.

The electric model I am looking at is the safe-t-puller, and the gas is the Honda (either 4 hp or 5.5 hp) with a gear reduction. I like the idea of the electric puller because it's cleaner and quieter. That said, I think I'm leaning toward the gas hauler because it's independent from my electrical system, and I think it would be easier to fix, and more powerful. I've searched the archives, and didn't see anything about the gas pullers there. So let's hear it, does anybody have any suggestions/tips/experiences they can share about their pot pullers?

I have the Ace Line Hauler electric puller on my boat, and I really like it. The nice thing about it is it uses the scotty downrigger mount. I have no experience with the gas models so I can't be of any help there.

Default Puller

I also have the Ace Line Hauler, and wouldn't go anywhere else. I don't understand the need to keep the puller seperate from your electrical system. I leave my outboard idling for the 5 minutes during pulling, which is probably wise in case something comes up quickly, such as a large wake. I've had no issues with being under-powered, the motor doesn't even get warm.

Thumbs up safe-t-puller

I had the light commercial model on my old Sea Runner. It never skipped a beat. I would long line 5 pots at a time in 600-800 foot of water without a strain. I don't like the davit that they offer with it, so I had Dave at Heavy Weather Boats fabricate one for me. Great set up.

I've got the Safe-T-Puller and a large bank of deep cycle batteries. Realisticlly though I only make 4 300' pulls an outing. I have had it overheat and bog down in heavy seas though (it is the heavy duty version too). Plus the foot switch can fail or the breaker on the battery. But I am still happy with it even though it was about $1,100 with davit.

The honda and a davit is about $800 or $900 and those things run forever. For a skiff or smaller boat I'd take the honda.

Also the safety puller isn't whisper quiet either but still quieter than a gas motor.

Sobie2

Default Honda 4hp

I have the Honda 4 hp with the gear reduction. I went that route to stay off my electrical like you mentioned and also have visions of using it to pull my anchor maybe. I bought it used about half way through last year and haven't had a lick of trouble with it yet. It pulls well and is fast too (I usually run it just off idle). The bummer though is pulling in to a nice quiet area with other boats around and firing it off. Oh yeah...and I smacked my wife in the face once because I didn't look behind me before pulling the rope. Boy...I won't do that again!! The puller sounds just like my lawnmower, so I can only imagine what others are thinking. I just try and get them up as quickly as possible and shut it down.

Still, I don't think I'd go electrical.

Talking

Smack......tell your wife sorry but that's funny, lol.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Eggy

Will your honda puller do 3 pots on 1 line with no problem? I'm thinking of switching from my power winch which works hard to do it.

Default Acbman

What kind of Power Winch do you have? I got the Power Winch Quick Catch puller this year and love it. I can pull 3 pots no problem, with shrimp and weighted. I posted on another thread how I set it up to the gunnel for easy removal.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=5215

Yep i pulled 3 several times last year....I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't do all 5.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Queen of Kings

I have the power winch 300,I have to run my motors at 1500 rpms or the winch will really bog down with 3 pots on it, I go out alot and I raise my pots every 6 to 8 hours,I don't like putting the hours on my motors and using the gas(225 yamahas).

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really leaning towards going gas. I'll be pulling 2 strings of 4-5 shrimp pots each, without much time between hauls. Or when I'm crabbing, I'll pull 2-3 king crab pots on individual lines. That is a lot of weight, and fishing deep too. Considering that my main is 115 HP, I'm a little hesitant about the draw on my electrical system. Thanks for the input, and keep the feedback coming-

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    Yep i pulled 3 several times last year....I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't do all 5.
    Should say these are the round shrimp pots...not crab pots...

I would say your concern is valid if you are running 1 battery. I ran with 1 battery, used alot of juice running equipment and killed the battery once at the end of the season. As soon as it warms up or I get the boat inside I will be installing a dual battery setup. I like the power winch for its size/compactness and its not as noisy so for me a second battery will ease my mind. Hind site being 20/20 I would say I should have ordered the boat with 2 batteries.

Just curious where are you going to be pulling 8-10 shrimp pots and crab pots?

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm really leaning towards going gas. I'll be pulling 2 strings of 4-5 shrimp pots each, without much time between hauls. Or when I'm crabbing, I'll pull 2-3 king crab pots on individual lines. That is a lot of weight, and fishing deep too. Considering that my main is 115 HP, I'm a little hesitant about the draw on my electrical system. Thanks for the input, and keep the feedback coming-
    Don't know where you are shrimping but just remember that in PWS its 5 pots per boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I've been running a 11hp Honda (Gx340) to power a hydraulic puller. Here's the puller...

...and the engine/pump/tank unit. I was replacing a broken pull rope...

The engine eventually died, mostly do to corrosion and lack of maintenance (guilty) so I just ordered a 8hp (GX240) to replace it. I'm not concerned about the 3 less hp, as that old engine never, ever, lugged down. Not even when pulling 5 pots, or when they get stuck, trying to pull the boat under the water.

I'm happy with my Safe-T-Puller (electric) and I've seen the 4-horse Honda spit gas all over the water... The electric doesn't bog down for me on sport gear, but I can't exactly pull a commercial king pot either.

Of course "the rest of the story" is that I've got 2 large banks of batteries, 2x230 hp diesel engines (with big alternators) and a 35' boat to power it. Also, the gas Honda that lives in the boat-house next to me was a second-hand unit installed on the cheap, so the gas spitting may not be the fault of the unit itself.

If I were to do it over again (which I may need to do in another 2 years or so) I'd probably go hydraulic.

-Case

i have been using gas briggs and stratton unit for probably 8-10 years works well, pulls 5 pots on one line with out a problem.
    it is noisey but not needed for a long period. stores out of the way easily
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Don't know where you are shrimping but just remember that in PWS its 5 pots per boat.
    I'm in SE, so 10 pots is the rule...I'll probably only need to fish 4 to get all I need, but it will be nice to scout some new areas with another string too-

Thumbs up Spots

How about all you guys making a list of the locations of your secret spots and posting them here.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast