Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone ever run the Iron Dog?

Default anyone ever run the Iron Dog?

curious to get some pm's back and forth on iron dog stuff...interested in lookin' into running it one day. one of my buddies from High School is sitting in 9th right now..got me thinking!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

i have had several buddies race iron dog, i have not raced it yet, i was going to race it one year but my partner kinda fell through, just being prepared and practicing goes a long way in the race, one of the biggest tricks is to not outdrive yourself or your machine and to try to hold it together, a lot of beginners try to rip too hard early on and end up sackin out their machines, some strategy and taking it easy going north from big lake to ruby is the hardest/roughest part of the trail then after that it is mostly river and coast running, i have run nearly every section of the trail, like i said i haven't raced it, but i have had several friends race it over the year so i might be able to answer any direct questions you have or defer them to one of my buddies who've raced b4, i will race it sooner than later, possibly next year if i find the right partner, i'm gonna be racing nome-golovin here in a couple weeks this year, i would encourage you to try a smaller race as well b4 jumping all in on the iron dog, anyways good luck and remember its anybodies race and half the race is keeping your sled up to par...

I did the trail class a couple of years ago. I would love to do the pro class but it takes a lot of time to train and it ain't cheap either, even with sponsors. Several people I work with have raced it, and the most common advice I have been given was, "it isn't how fast you can go, it is all about knowing when to slow down."

Quote Originally Posted by franklinfleagle View Post
    i have had several buddies race iron dog, i have not raced it yet, i was going to race it one year but my partner kinda fell through, just being prepared and practicing goes a long way in the race, one of the biggest tricks is to not outdrive yourself or your machine and to try to hold it together, a lot of beginners try to rip too hard early on and end up sackin out their machines, some strategy and taking it easy going north from big lake to ruby is the hardest/roughest part of the trail then after that it is mostly river and coast running, i have run nearly every section of the trail, like i said i haven't raced it, but i have had several friends race it over the year so i might be able to answer any direct questions you have or defer them to one of my buddies who've raced b4, i will race it sooner than later, possibly next year if i find the right partner, i'm gonna be racing nome-golovin here in a couple weeks this year, i would encourage you to try a smaller race as well b4 jumping all in on the iron dog, anyways good luck and remember its anybodies race and half the race is keeping your sled up to par...
    Frank, you crazy *******! Tell Doug I said hi, where are all you guys these days?

I have ran tired iron if that counts that is some high speed stuff right there gets the blood pumpin let me tell ya!! Nothing like being on the river on a souped up Elan running about 23mph with the throttle pinned!

Do the Traik Class first. Then see if you want to compete.

ya i was more curious on sled set ups, costs to get into with even with sponors, not so much on the beating my body to death and training part...used to live on the trail so i've seen it and rode parts of it....the logistics is what i'm curious about at this point.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya i was more curious on sled set ups, costs to get into with even with sponors, not so much on the beating my body to death and training part...used to live on the trail so i've seen it and rode parts of it....the logistics is what i'm curious about at this point.

Thats what has me curious as well... is the fuel at set locations how much fuel do you carry with you etc... i have no plans of ever running it but just curious about all the logisitics and what the bare minimum is as far money goes to do it. But the trail class does intrigue me heck might be able to talk someone into doing that... Also do you need the biggest baddest sled or will a 600 class type sled be good ie M-6?? One last questions if you break down out in the boonies and unable to get your sled going they have folks to police you up and help drag your sled back to civilization?

Obviously most of the current Iron Doggers are a little busy right now. Most are more than willing to talk about the race and even let you ride a previous years sled. There are the guys who do it for fun and then the ones that are there to win it. Usually one of the pair is the wrench. They can have air support carrying various parts for them to be given out at check points. Everyone has their own version of race ettiquette. Some teams are very helpful if you get stuck, they will help get you out, while other teams may race on by. Last year there was hardly any snow and machines overheating was a big issue. Having to find snow pockets to throw ice on the engine to cool them off was a big challenge. This year there is a ton of snow, almost too much. Every year is different. Allot of guys like to run at night and do there layovers during the day light to avoid the flat light issues. Hard to avoid a bump when you dont see it coming.

i love the night running for sure! i'll see if i can round up someones who run it and pick their brain a bit....
    Master guide 212

To answer a couple questions that I know the answers to and here is a link to the rules... http://www.irondograce.org/wp-conten...s_ProClass.pdf

Fuel is supplied along the route. One of my friends flew in a bunch of it to various stops along the way.

323.. much as I love the M-6, it isn't going to get the job done. The M sleds simply won't handle that level of high speed pounding. Almost all the racers are running snowcross sleds modified for Irondog use.

10 years ago I thought I had what it took to do this race. I spent one afternoon riding with a couple past Irondog racers. I wasn't man enough to keep up. I swallowed my pride and knew I didn't have what it took. One of my friends that has run it spend over $30,000 getting ready for it because he was unsponsored, that was 10 years ago. I bet now, with the increased cost of fuel and sleds, it is easily $40,000. Even sponsored riders spend a ton of their own money.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Wow 30,000 ten yrs ago... I was using the m-6 as reference I have a Polaris which I doubt well know for a fact would never consider for that type of thing... Snow cross sleds I wonder what those bad boys run for???

Check out the trail class or for the Irondog membership fee you can attend the rookies meetings. Several of the racers go over some tips for what gear, and how to pack it, trail tips. You definetly want to have one wrench and one navigator on your team if you're not both. If you are racing you will want a short track (pros are limited to a 600), but my 136" renegade did just fine in the trail class. For the trail class I easily spent $5000 (not including sled) for gear, food & Lodging and entry fees. Alot of the gear is stuff you can use again, so subsequent years could be cheaper. The pros spend alot of money on sleds, most will have a race sled and a practice sled. The practice sled usually becomes a parts sled they have flown ahead of them waiting at each checkpoint. Personally I wish they would go back to what you carry is what you get. It would make it more about the rider and machine then who has the most money. There are no trail sweeps that is why you ride with a partner so they can tow you out. If you like to make long runs every weekend then you will love it. I am hoping to do it again for sure.

The trail class is sounding more intriguin (sp). The only fella I think who would do this will be deployed next year...

I don't know much about the race, but I do know quite a few folks that have run both the pro class and the trail class. The nice thing about the trail class is that you probably don't even need a new sled to run it (or two new sleds, like a lot of the pro's buy). A few years ago some folks ran it on Tundras and finished fine. One crew that I know that did the trail class last year isn't exactly the most fit bunch of guys, nor are they the best/fastest riders, but they all made it to Nome in one piece and I don't think any of them purchased a new sled to do it.

Iron dog advise... "The race isnt to skwetna" In other words.. Dont get all race amped off the start! Plenty of teams have balled it up on big lake or the yetna river... Try to make it into mcgrath the first night
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

ya tone down the excitment and gitters and get into a groove i would think would be crucial for a race like that. long distance, it don't pay to sprint at the beginning.
    Master guide 212

I'm producing the IRON DOG 2011 race as a special for television to air later this year. Network and time TBD. Here's a trailer for the project. -Tim

http://www.irondograce.org/2011/movie-premiere/
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Bringing a thread back from the dead - I'm planning to put together a trail class team for the 2015 Irondog. Any more info? I want to put together a 4-5 person team, so if one or two have to back out, for whatever reason, the trip is not compromised.

I'm thinking that a 600 Renegade or 600 Assault 144 would be good for the trail class - you need the trail suspension for all the ice, but the trail class you won't be pounding as hard as the Pro. I assume we would pool all sponsor cash, then the rest each team member is responsible for? Most of the dealers are probably already pretty worked over - anyone know the odds of getting machines at their cost though?

Three years in a roll I had guys wanting to go and two weeks before the trip they all cancels so I went by myself all the way to Nome. If I were you I would just go and take each section one step at a time, before you know it you will be in Nome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast