Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ar10 or socm 16 which is better for

Default ar10 or socm 16 which is better for

I am thinking of a survival type rifle if things were to go bad example earthquake or public meltdown. If I needed a rifle to protect my family and put meat on the table I have narrowed down for me that i would want either the ar10 or the socom 16 . Which is a better gun that will last through a harsh environment and handle my hunting need best. I would like to hear opinions on these two specifically. I am going with 308 because the power factor and ammo availability. thanks

My favorite rifle is my Springfield M1A. I hunt with it, camp with it, and fling hundreds of cheap rounds down range with it. In fact Iím an M14 aficionado. That said, I would not chose the Socom 16. The 16 inch barrel is not a good match for that action. Muzzle flash is nasty and accuracy is degraded. After having a full size 22 inch rifle, the shortened versions seems like an engineering idea gone wrong. The idea was to make this an offering as a CQB weapon and grab some business from the M4. In reality is too heavy and cumbersome for CQB and it does not make use of the full potential of the .308. Why not get a real M1A? Iíve no experience with an AR10 but it was designed for the .308 so it should be better than the Socom too.

I guess I should confess that this is my choice (For ME) for your application: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=248 Only 7 pounds.

As far as bbl length, I'm with TR. The .308 should be matched with an appropriately longer barrel, and this would certainly help with the hunting. How about an AR10 pattern rifle with a 20" (or even longer) stainless barrel?

I like the AR design for lightness, ruggedness and easy maintenance, which is why my SHTF gun is a simple AR15 middy 16".

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    My favorite rifle is my Springfield M1A. I hunt with it, camp with it, and fling hundreds of cheap rounds down range with it. In fact Iím an M14 aficionado. That said, I would not chose the Socom 16. The 16 inch barrel is not a good match for that action. Muzzle flash is nasty and accuracy is degraded. After having a full size 22 inch rifle, the shortened versions seems like an engineering idea gone wrong. The idea was to make this an offering as a CQB weapon and grab some business from the M4. In reality is too heavy and cumbersome for CQB and it does not make use of the full potential of the .308. Why not get a real M1A? Iíve no experience with an AR10 but it was designed for the .308 so it should be better than the Socom too.
    Aggred, between AR10 vs. SOCM would be hands down AR10 . . . but AR10 vs. M1A is a much more difficult choice. They are way better matched rifles, AR10 being easer to deck out and the M1A more reliable in poor field conditions. Over all a very closely matched pair and would just depend on what you like better.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

For a survival gun I would choose the most common bolt gun available. Lots of spare parts that you can trade for or swap from your other rifles. Get one in .308 and ammo is a cinch for a lifetime. If I was going to buy a semi-automatic rifle to stake my life on it is going to be a good manufacture AK-47.

None of use are going to defend our homes for long no matter how good of a battle rifle we own. A house is not a good defensable position. A dozen goons with a few dozen molitov cocktails and your house is toast..no matter how much ammo you have.

On a side note, every single critter in Alaska has been killed with a .223. I can buy two decent AR-15's for the price of one AR-10 or Socom 16. I can build one for even less. For those who really don't like the gov't having info on you, you can even buy 80% AR-15 lowers and built one yourself with a drill press. While not the ideal choice for anything, the ammo is cheaper and it's lighter, and rifle parts are all over the place.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I am not worried the Government has my best interest at heart, they will protect me.

I guess you don't need to build any 80% lowers then. The whole idea has me intrigued and I've been doing a ton of research. Nothing like building non-serial number guns with a drill-press...legally
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I guess you don't need to build any 80% lowers then. The whole idea has me intrigued and I've been doing a ton of research. Nothing like building non-serial number guns with a drill-press...legally
    I have a thundering herd of attack geese, they have even run Grizzly Bears a Wolves off.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have a thundering herd of attack geese, they have even run Grizzly Bears a Wolves off.
    And what do you arm them with. .308 .223 or 7.62x39?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    . . . but AR10 vs. M1A is a much more difficult choice.
    Yeah Andy, I've always wanted to try an AR-10. If Blackbear gets one maybe he'll let me help him shoot.

+ for M1A: It makes a good club too.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    And what do you arm them with. .308 .223 or 7.62x39?
    (5) AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and (4) AR-15 in .223 and (4) Rem. 597 LSHB in .22 WRM; the rest of them just have their peckers.

The AR-10 has great provisions for a scope for long range shooting, and is capable of doing the shooting, the M1 does not have very good scope mounts available unless you get the Hathcock special with good scope mount. You could also do some special machining to unstall a mount on the M1 but it would be tough to get it perfect. I like my AR-10, and I just turned down a good deal on an M1, because of the ability to mount a scope.

Oh there are good solid scope mounts available for the M1A...just be prepared to shell out 300 or 400 bucks for one. The cheaper ones aren't worth the metal they're made from. I know because I went that route once and several hundred rounds and curses later ditched all for the iron sights. I'll probably scope properly in the future. Right now I'm enjoying it "comando".

Socom 16 is for fun. Buy it because you have to have it. Looks cool, but too short a barrel. An M1A/M14 is a heavy duty battle rifle. You can get good Gen 3 scope mounts and aftermarket accessories, but the AR10 type of gun has a bazillion accessories. Way more than the M1A. I sold my M1A years ago, and I wish I still had it, but if I ever get semi-auto .308 again, I'll be building on the AR10 platform. Build one with a 16 inch barrel and get tired of the enormous muzzle flash, pull it off an put on a 20 inch one. Can't do that with out a gunsmith with a M1A/Socom.

Get the M1A if you like that kind of gun. For sheer abundance of options, though, get an AR10. Similarly, I like my Beretta Cougar .45 pistol. It is a very cool gun, functions perfectly and I shoot it well. But, if I'd thought more about it, I should have gotten a 1911. The aftermarket accessories are endless.

Other somewhat expensive options that allow customization are the Larue OBR:

http://larueosr.com/obr.aspx

and the Bushmaster ACR - which may be the next US battle rifle to replace the M4/M16:

http://www.bushmaster.com/acr/#/intro

I have no experience with a SOCOM 16 but I do have an AR-10. Mine was made by GA Precision. GAP is a company that makes very accurate rifles. If you want just a run-of-the-mill AR-10, look elsewhere. My AR-10 has been very reliable, incredibly accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot. It takes DPMS mags and the MAGPUL polymer 308 mags. To me it's a bit heavy to lug around the woods, I can use other rifles for that. This is my range-queen.

Accuracy: With this rifle, prone position, laying the rifle over a backpack, I fired a 5-shot group, at 100 yards, that was 0.39 from outer edge to outer edge. When you subtract the .308 to get a point to point spread, well, it was pretty good. I have never before fired that tight of a 5-shot group before (I'm 50 years old) and I may never do it again. It was one heck of a good day...perhaps THE best shot-group of my lifetime. I used a 6.5-20 x 50mm scope (the eyes need more assistance than I'd like to admit).

Not sure if my post helped or not. At the very least I hope it gives you something to think about. Good luck with your information gathering and your decision blackbear. The GA Precision AR-10 website link is below.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precis...n-gap-10-.html

I have one of the older Bushmaster BAR10's. I have used it for several years nowfrom general target shooting to hunting. I have taken caribou out to almost 400yards. It is easy to maintain, ammo can be gotten most anywhere and it hit where you aim. I have a friend that has a SOCOM 16 and while it is good to shoot, I would not want to own one.
    No matter what to end up with, shoot it as much as you can efford to. Get to know it real well.

SCAR 17. Weighs considerably less than other 7.62 gasguns, is very soft shooting, and for the two that I have first hand experience with are about 1 MOA accurate. Weight is the big issue here, A SCAR 17 decked out weighs less than my Larue OBR sans optics, sling, light, etc. There's a new Larue OBR light 7.62 that was shown at SHOT. Not much for details on it yet.

If getting away from the AR/M14 platforms it's hard to beat the FN-FAL . . . affordable, reliable, light, available, semi-auto 7.62 NATO battle rifle to me says FN-FAL.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast