Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Yetena River Poker Run

Default 2nd Yetena River Poker Run

I can not believe a month has already passed. Sorry about getting this out late but this coming Friday is the start and again the weather is looking real good with temps forcasted for mid 20's. This will be an all Yetena River run with the turn around lodge around Donkey Lake area(I have never been to this place), I believe it is called Memories Lodge(?) I will get more info this week and pass it on.

Friday man we are all still at work to bad it wasn't on a saturday love to take my wife on a run like this...

it's a 3 day run... Fri, Sat, Sun..../John

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Friday man we are all still at work to bad it wasn't on a saturday love to take my wife on a run like this...
    Sorry I meant to say it was 25, 26, 27. Still want to go. Let me know. Looking for average riders to roll with and those wanting to learn/play off river some and those definately not in a rush to get home.

Let me get with another buddy and see if he wants to go as well on Saturday... I'm definately interested to go on Saturday so my wife and daughter can go... My wife a daughter will be riding a two up trail sled... Not looking at a fast pace just an easy ride for the wife and daughter...

Let me get with another buddy and see if he wants to go as well on Saturday... I'm definately interested to go on Saturday so my wife and daughter can go... My wife a daughter will be riding a two up trail sled... Not looking at a fast pace just an easy ride for the wife and daughter...
    Will they be ok for about 180 mile plus round trip? Or possibly getting into a late evening return. Which I do sometimes to beat the flat light if it happens.

Well now my wife is thinking she wants to stay home but I'm up for the trip let me get with the other guys and see what the want to do...

I may be interested, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be to do the poker run on a '00 Tundra..... Anyone ever put that many miles on a Tundra in a day and live to tell about it?
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

dupont,
    Three of us are on board I shot you a pm let us know where to meet up with you...

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman View Post
    I may be interested, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be to do the poker run on a '00 Tundra..... Anyone ever put that many miles on a Tundra in a day and live to tell about it?
    TBloomA's daughter did the last run on a Tundra II had to pry her hands off the bars when we got back........

dupont,
    Three of us are on board I shot you a pm let us know where to meet up with you...
    Sent my numbers to ya in case bronco can't locate them. He probably left them in Afgahnstan. Call me PM Thursday. It's looking like I maybe solo right now.

I had a great time with all. I was expecting that you guys would have posted up before me. I left Tony sleeping on the couch this morning as I rolled out with my daughter at 6:30 for a soccer game. Can't wait to hear the stories. Hopefully you guys will be up for the last run on the river two weeks from now.

Now I would like to post a seperate post about some things I have heard about the last poker run.

It seems that some people called the lodge owners, cheats and the Poker Run a fraud. I have been running Poker Runs in Alaska for 14 years and I will have you know the Poker Run on the River system is one of the best run, most times the best coordinated, and is one of the longest runs in the State.

During the last run there happen to be 3 or 4 people who live or had lived on the river system that had claimed prizes. I am here to tell you that one of those winning hands for a person that lived "on the river" was drawn BY ME. Why would I screw myself? How did I rig the card draws at the other lodges?

At the turn in point you are supervised during the opening of the envelopes where they are checking to see that you indeed have cards from all the different lodges, that you are only opening one hand at a time to ensure you are not combining hands and then if you get a qualifying hand they are writing down the ticket number which is then called in back at the other lodge where you paid your money.

Just because you did not win is no reason to call and complain or to spread nasty things about fraud. How you can rig a game with at LEAST seven different decks of cards is also beyond me. I feel honored that folks ask me to pull cards for them during the poker run. I always run multiple hands just for myself. I have run hands for lodge owners, I have run hands for those that were not able to make the run, I have stopped to assist folks with broken sleds and once we got them to a place where they could stay I have run thier cards. The most hands I have run at one time was 8 and 3 out of those placed. So if you got anyone to call a cheater it is me not he ones running, coordinating, or sponsoring the poker run. As a note I (personally) have always put a hand on the leader board but I am usually bumped off. I played a hand for my wife and daughter and they both have taken some money. I have run cards for numerous lodge owners and they have won some money. Most of them will give me a meal or fuel for running their cards.

If you belive this is a huge money maker for these lodges you are also sadly mistaken. Out of 7 stops our group made yesterday we only spent money at 3 and with a group of 7, one stop was less the $20.

You will not find a better run, family orientated (other then distance travelled) poker run, then the one run out on the river. I have done a bunch of poker runs and really felt only one a few years back out Petersville way was a rip off. Some people were not making all the stops and were being allowed to draw a qualifing hand at one lodge.

Sorry to vent but I am disgusted that we get one of the biggest runs ever and that a new owner is being accused of being a fraud because some folks who "LIVE" out on the rivers won prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I had a great time with all. I was expecting that you guys would have posted up before me. I left Tony sleeping on the couch this morning as I rolled out with my daughter at 6:30 for a soccer game. Can't wait to hear the stories. Hopefully you guys will be up for the last run on the river two weeks from now.
    There was no rolling out of bed at 0630 yesterday morning I was to darn sore!!! The other two will concur as well... Don't know about doing that again. It was a fun trip seeing all the lodges up there was pretty cool... If I was to do that again I would do it at a more leisurely pace... Then again I'm easly persuaded in doing dumb stuff more than once...

There was no rolling out of bed at 0630 yesterday morning I was to darn sore!!! The other two will concur as well... Don't know about doing that again. It was a fun trip seeing all the lodges up there was pretty cool... If I was to do that again I would do it at a more leisurely pace... Then again I'm easly persuaded in doing dumb stuff more than once...
    Ha ha ha he he he your killin me........you could do an overniter. Ride 20 or 30 miles stop, ride 40 or 50 the next day, and then ride out on the 3rd. Just kidding. You guys just need a few more rides like that and you will be ready for an IronDog run. You were a great group to run with and look forward to some great spring rides when all that blowing snow softens up again.

How about a Cantwell to Paxson back to Cantwell run here sometime soon. Would be about a 280 mile round trip with stops at Apline and Mclaren.

I hope you guys got enough pictures.

I concur with 323. Sunday was a good day to sleep in and lay on the couch popping ranger candy (Advil) down my throat. I had a great time got to see a lot of new country and meet some great folks. I would be up to it again might get me up to that average rider stat that you were looking for. Thanks for saving my ***** on the oil to i owe you a beer the next time we ride.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODY82 View Post
    I concur with 323. Sunday was a good day to sleep in and lay on the couch popping ranger candy (Advil) down my throat. I had a great time got to see a lot of new country and meet some great folks. I would be up to it again might get me up to that average rider stat that you were looking for. Thanks for saving my ***** on the oil to i owe you a beer the next time we ride.
    I'm glad I carried the extra oil. We need to look at dialing that thing back in the future. You went thru alot of oil. It should be closer to 2 or 3 tanks of fuel per oil refill. I will get with you soon. Just remember where and who has the best deal on 2 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I'm glad I carried the extra oil. We need to look at dialing that thing back in the future. You went thru alot of oil. It should be closer to 2 or 3 tanks of fuel per oil refill. I will get with you soon. Just remember where and who has the best deal on 2 stroke.
    I know it isn't Yenta station thats for sure 12 bucks a quart...

you guys are killing me!! My daughter did the run on a 93 tundra!! it was the first time she had rode in 3 years! I admit she was a little sore cause the sled is set up for my 220lb butt.. John what did ya do to these guys? Was the river super bumpy? Were you breaking trail in 6+ feet of snow!?!? Been there done that! I really wish I could have gone, doing the poker run with john is always a good time. We need to get a rocket ride together, thats always fun. But john is also a good guy to take out families with aswell. I am thinking about doing a mnt. susitna day ride sometime! glad every one had a good SAFE time!

I do have one more stick it to you......I got 2nd place......for the 1st time in 20 plus Poker Runs I actually got some decent money with "MY NAME" attached to it.

So those of you who cheated last time, I beat beat you this time around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast