Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow wraps

Default Arrow wraps

How many people put wraps on there hunting arrow?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I use wraps
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I don't use arrow wraps either, I'm a member of farthest north Archery club (Eielson AFB) and I don't see alot of people use them, what purpose do they serve anyway? The ones that I have seen, have used some bright off the wall colors like Hot pink, fourescent greens, oranges, etc. its like they want to be seen.Please enlightened me if they make the arrow go faster. I don't know much about them, even though I have been bow hunting for more than 14 years now.....K

Actually some of us do like to see our arrows!
    I guess maye it's a trad shooter thing but I like to be able o see my arow in flight, on impact, & be able to find it after the shot. I'll pass on the camo arrows thank you.
    Most trad guys (& a lot of compound shooters I know) have for years done a "cap dip" when applying the finish to their arrows to get the same effect as the wraps. A noticable color on the last 8-10" of arrow.

One of the other big advantages of the cap wrap for me is that it peals off of my carbon arrows with a little heat without damaging the shaft so I can change fletching if they wear out or one is damaged. When I glue directly to the shaft it's easy to damage it removing glue.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Some

Some of my Axis arrows I had wraps on. I used orange and white. They were a lot easier to see when looking for the arrows than black or camo shafts.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I was going to mention that I generally use yellow, but have also used white (not good when there is snow on the ground, & probably not best for sheep or goats!)
    Vance in AK.

I can see my arrow just fine with my fletchings, Haven't lost an arrow yet, also no wear on my shaft with a Trophy Ridge drop away rest....K

With a white wrap on your hunting arrow you can easily see what kind of hit you made on an animal. The blood sticks out great. You can also follow the arrow in low light very well.

My favorite thing about wraps is when you go to reflech your arrow you just peel the wrap off. You dont have to clean anything or scrape glue.

If you want to see how many people really use wraps go to www.archerytalk.com and do a search. I would say thousands on there.

Thumbs up wraps or dipped?

When I first got into archery I shot a slow compound and had little problem seeing my arrow in flight and after a few short years switched to traditional gear. Even slower by comparison, but started dipping my arrows and what a difference it made in being able to track the arrow all the way thru the shot. Not to mention being able to find a stray arrow or two, if a guy shoots long enuff your bound to get some strays.

Last year I decided to see what all the hype was about and bought a compound. Extraordinarily fast compaired to my trad. gear. Fast bow, black carbon shafts and dark vains. I was lucky enuff to connect with a small bull moose and at the shot I saw nothing. I herd the arrow hit, but saw nothing. What a sick feeling not knowing where the hit was, I found the arrow on the ground where it blew thru and confirmed a good hit, but that will never happen again. All my arrows will either be dipped or wrapped!

I've never tried the wraps. Anyone have a suggestion on brand and propper application on various arrow materials{wood,carbon,alum.}

thanks Jackson

There is a guy on www.archerytalk theat sells like 6 doz for 12bucks. Just search the classified for wraps. Great quality too. You will have to specify wood, alum or carbon.

Kenai King
    Thanks I'll give it a look
    Jackson

I've capped dipped my woodies since I made my first set 17 years ago now.

There's more to gain then not by having them painted or wrapped. That one time you take a shot and dont know is one to many for me also.

If I were to go to carbon or alum I think I'd go to wraps for the things mentioned above, easy to rewrap and refletch then it is to spend an evening or two or three, capping and cresting. Heck it's just fun and ya got some awfully purdy arrows to boot!

Kaha,

Do you ahve far norths contact info? I work on eielson in winter, wanted to join however was getting no kind of response back. Be kinda nice to shoot after work though I wonder if that'll be possible due to the monitor times during the week/weekends. Shoot me an email if ya like.

dawn-dan@gci.net

Dan

Default Wraps

I have dipped and used wraps. I perfer the wraps. Really quick and easy and alot less messy. I use the white ones that reflect light. Have found shafts under the grass that I would have never found without the reflective coating on the wraps. If you loose a shaft wait for dark and start shining a flash light in the area that you made the shot. They glow like crazy. Also makes it easy to read blood sign on a camo shaft.

When I shot cedars and aluminum I dipped and crested most of my arrows. Since switching to carbon I have been making and using my own wraps and found this much easier. Print shops and sign companies use vinyl sheets with adhesive backing that can be easily made into arrow wraps at a fraction of the cost of buying the ones from an archery supplier. I bought some from a local print shop but you could probably find the same product by searching the net. I purchased a piece of vinyl 15" x 72" for $6.00 that I can make ten dozen seven inch wraps from. If I want to get really creative I have crested over the vinyl using a paint markers. When it's time to refletch an arrow I just use a hair drier to heat up the wrap and peal them off.

i used them , i like the brightness i used to dip and crest my arrows but have not for probably 5 years. wraps are just too easy.

kahahawai- is farthest north archery club the name of your club at Eielson?

fyi- you are not the farthest north, Kuparuk River Archery Club is on the north slope. just a bit of trivia

-Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Instead of wraps, I use white enamel spray paint. Tape the arrow at the point you want the paint to end and spray while rotating the arrow. Works great and is much easier to deal with when you rip a vane off. By the way, wraps/paint REALLY help in tracking arrows when the conditions are on the dark side (in the trees on a gloomy day hunting Sitka deer). Works for me.

Just curious, but do you know how much weight you are adding to your arrow when you apply a wrap? Just wonder if this throws off you FOC or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhamel View Post
    Just curious, but do you know how much weight you are adding to your arrow when you apply a wrap? Just wonder if this throws off you FOC or anything like that.
    Not much at alll but, enough to cause you to re sight your longer pins.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Pins

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Not much at alll but, enough to cause you to re sight your longer pins.
    You guys use sights! Man I'll have to find a rusty nail and drive it in my riser. I've never used wraps but, I have always dipped and crested my shafts. Just makes arrow building more fun.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    You guys use sights! Man I'll have to find a rusty nail and drive it in my riser. I've never used wraps but, I have always dipped and crested my shafts. Just makes arrow building more fun.

As we speak I'm wraping so arrows.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast