Thread: Tripods for Spotter

Default Tripods for Spotter

Just wondering what you guys are using for a tripod? My cheap tripod is done !.... thinking about just buying a really good one and be done with it, thinking about going with carbon fiber, which cuts weight a little, been looking at Gitzo and manfrotto to be used with a ball head feature. does anyone in Anchorage sell these?....i'd like to put my hands on one before dropping the cash......the scope I have is a Carl Zeiss diascope 65.

I'm not aware of any place in Alaska that sells high end tripods and have really seriously considered just biting the bullet and ordering the Gitzo Traveller w/ball head and like you being done with it for once and all. My spotter is a Leica APO Televid 82 and the cheap compact tripod I have been using has left much to be desired (especially with stability issues). The weight of the Gitzo tripod is 2.2lbs which will put my whole Spotter kit (tripod, scope, scope cover, eyepiece and objective covers) at a total weight of 113.2oz. The tripod I have been using is a compact (unsure of brand) that weighs in at 2lbs 10oz not overly heavy but lacking in the performance department and If I can save approximately 1/2 pound with the Gitzo, as well as having a superior setup and the last one I'll ever need to buy I guess I'll just go for it. If I decide to spring for the Gitzo, I can let you check it out. Probably go with Cameraland as to vendor. I have never used or seen a Gitzo, but, they have an excellent reputation. I have used some of the other higher end full-size tripods and the Gitzo is the lightest weight for a full size tripod with the features I need. Expensive, yes, but it will only hurt just once. After being buffeted for the umpteenth time by the winds last spring bear season on the peninsula, I swore I would buy a new tripod this year.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Stewart's Photo Shop
    531 W 4th Ave
    Anchorage
    (907) 272-8581

Thanks Leech will check them out....

I believe Barney's may carry some of the compact, high end tripods. The Gitzo Traveller looks good. $589 with ballhead from BH Photo.

Anybody ever try one of these http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom/ Gorillapod SLR-Zoom. Weighs 8.5ozs and supposedly rated to hold over 6lbs. Looks interesting with the ball head.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Anybody ever try one of these http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom/ Gorillapod SLR-Zoom. Weighs 8.5ozs and supposedly rated to hold over 6lbs. Looks interesting with the ball head.
    I have a friend that has one he bought one from REI here in Anchorage for his small camera, I tried it out and it is NOT at all stable !!!!...when I put my carl zeiss on it, I won't even bother. Theres a pic of one of their advertisements holding a Swaro spotter but it won't perform trust me...it just doesnt do it for me.....but thanks, i did look at them last year......chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    This is NOT a good option. You will not be satisfied with the quality of the product, as it is one of those designs that looks good but performs poorly in real use. I wasted my money....

I can highly recommend this product: http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product...8&categoryId=3
    I have used it for years with the grip swivel head. http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product...1&categoryId=2
    You will not be disappointed in the quality and durability. The setup is strong enough to securely hold my spotter outfit with is actually a pair of 25 by 80 Steiner Astronomical binoculars. It is a pleasure to spot using BOTH eyes open.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Just a clarification.... are you guys referring to the Gorilla Pod "SLR Zoom" or just the "SLR"? I just want to make sure we're talking about the same one. The SLR Zoom.