Thread: Double size BAIT Barrel

Default Double size BAIT Barrel

Has anyone ever used two 55 gallon drums welded to gether to make bait last longer. I am thinking of putting two barrels together to add twice the bait and make it last longer. Any thoughts.

I like using two barrels at one site, especially if I'm not able to rebait as often as I like. Can you just attach barrels to seperate trees and skip the welding though?

Bears can empty barrels quick. The idea is to have them hang around. Instead of multiple barrels try cutting a very small opening. Think a salt shaker concept. Use a chain to attach it to the tree and leave enough chain so they can roll it around and shake it, They will spend hours trying to get to your goodies.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

There are a few guys (Ak145 & rmonty) on here that have welded barrels together. If you want to spend the time doing it... I say go for it! Personally I like the multiple barrel concept. We chain a metal one to a tree with a fist sized opening, and then chain 2 plastic barrels with 1 1/2 inch holes all over them to a T-Post. It is a great way to entice more bears to be on the bait at once.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

ok so im thinking multiple barrels i typically use 2 this year i am going for 10 my hunting buddies are not impressed since everything goes in on our backs thats why i am starting exercising now. here is my ideal bait in my mind 10 barels 8 bait balls 15 lollipops and some scent gel balls plus do a couple hour long bear crack burns , my mind is in overdrive i hope my body and wallet can keep up with it.

I use two plastic barrels per stand with a 4.5" hole in each one of them, the grizz have a hard time getting their big ole paw in there. Welding them together will make it harder to get them in and out of the woods, but definately recommend using two barrels.
    -Caleb-

I guess your answer depends on how you bait. If you want that much more food at the site so the bears don't run out of food until you can get back to restock, then I don't think multiple barrels are the best choice. Multiple feeding ports allow more bears at a time to feed. One feeding hole will normally make bears wait their turn. More bears feeding at once equates to running out of food earlier.
    If you have no problem getting the welded system into the woods, it might be a good idea. Another idea is to find steel overpacks. Overpacks are about 85 gallons and are designed to place leaking 55 gallon drums into. The are over 50 % larger than the standard drum and would be easier to fill as they would not be as tall.
    Have you seen those little plastic water dishes that hook to sky crates for shipping dogs? Think about that concept on the outside of the drum. You can make it as large or small as you want. Normally my drums are cinched down to trees tightly, so I like the idea that the food can sit in the feed trough and fill it automatically as they eat.
    I have made the trough large enough in the past that small bears can reach in to scoop out the last remaining crumbs, but we've also put a bar across the opening, much like a face guard on a football helmet to just make it harder. Again, it depends in part how you intend to bait and service your station.
    We've also used a 15 gallon drum that has multiple small holes in it. We bolt a swivel to the bottom center, attach a 6' chain, stuff it w/ beaver carcasses or something similar, and close the top. The bears can swat it and move it at will. It takes them a long time to get that thing emptied. They spend a lot of time and effort, but their reward seems to be worth it.
    I've also thought about suspending a drum in the air by running a cable between 2 trees w/ a pulley in the center. My idea was to drill 1" holes around the side at the bottom, fill it, and hoist it high enough that only big bears could reach it. As they reached up and batted it, more food would fall out. If I did this, it would be as a back up to my larger fixed barrel so that I had extra food for the big guys.
    Some good thoughts and ideas on this thread. We are getting close to "B-Day". Good luck guys.
    ARR

Well, I have never used 2 barrels in stand before, but this year I am. I am putting up one with popcorn and one with dog food mixture. I think I have firued out a way to secure them both. First take some U bolts and attach them to the back of the barrels. Then run a steel cable around a tree through the U bolts. Lock the ends together with a lock. I figure if you find a tree you could put both barrels on 1 tree. One on both sides and make it so your stand is "Broad Side" of them. That way when I'm not out there, they will have plenty of food. My dog food barrel will have a small opening on the bottom of it, and my popcorn barrel will have a 4-5" hole about 2/3 of the way up. It should be a easy way to get the bears to feed with out killing me budget wise.

It's an experiment this year, to find out what works. I have lots of other ideas on what to use and I will give a full report through out the year. Good luck and have fun this year. It's getting closer.

BTW if any one wants some more ideas, just PM me and I'll be happy to share. Anything to help people be successful!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Something I forgot to add. When we can, we haul in bait by snowmobiles as close to opening as possible. When that happens, we might not make it back for 30 days due to break up conditions. That is a long time. I need the bait to hold for that period of time. If it does not, I take a chance that bears will leave. Hence my not wanting a system that feeds multiple bears at the same time.
    When I am able to service the stations, I can not do it more than one time per week. Again, I can not afford to run short on food and have bears leave.

I'm just getting started and looking for a source for a barrel or two, the ones with banded lid.....anyone know where a I can get my hands on one...?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    I'm just getting started and looking for a source for a barrel or two, the ones with banded lid.....anyone know where a I can get my hands on one...?
    If you live in the Fairbanks area, PM and I will help. Otherwise, I am of no use to you. LOL
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

search barrels on craigslist im sure something will pop up it always does