Thread: Using my powerboat trailer to haul my Achilles 14 foot river raft? Am I crazy?

Default Using my powerboat trailer to haul my Achilles 14 foot river raft? Am I crazy?

Has anyone used a boat trailer to haul a raft? I'm wondering about using my boat trailer as a dual purpose trailer. I have a tandem axle trailer that hauls my 19 foot Lund, but since the trailer sits empty during the summer why not haul my 14 foot Achilles Raft with it?

Seems a simple temporary conversion could be done and undone when needed without too much trouble.

Anyone tried this or have any tips?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tork View Post
    Has anyone used a boat trailer to haul a raft? I'm wondering about using my boat trailer as a dual purpose trailer. I have a tandem axle trailer that hauls my 19 foot Lund, but since the trailer sits empty during the summer why not haul my 14 foot Achilles Raft with it?

Seems a simple temporary conversion could be done and undone when needed without too much trouble.

Anyone tried this or have any tips?

Thanks!
    Most boat trailers need modifications in order to haul a raft without damaging the boat. I use an EZ Loader trailer for my cataraft, but I had to take off the bunks and install plywood decking. It's certainly worth the trouble, but I would not want to have to convert the trailer back and forth for different boats during the year. If you have a snowmachine trailer that could be the best thing. Keep in mind though, that the Karavan snowmachine trailers float when you get them in the water very far. Not a good thing on the river.

If you do end up putting plywood on yours, use marine ply. It lasts a LONG time. I used round-head carriage bolts on mine so I didn't have anything sticking up that could cause abrasions on my tubes. I was going to put indoor-outdoor carpet on it too, because I thought the boat would slide better that way. I'm glad I didn't. The carpet would only trap moisture and contribute to the break-down of the wood.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks man it makes more sense now and I think I can get closer to what I 'm looking for.

------------------------------------------------------
    typing service

Thanks for the tips Mike. I'll post some pics if I can come up with a decent design.