Thread: Pelican Alaska Fishing???

Default Pelican Alaska Fishing???

I want to get some info on fishing the Pelican area in late may..Looking at booking a trip the last week of May and need some insight..Is anyone familiar with the area and if so any info is appreciated...Thanks in advance..

John

I'm curious, but the did charter outfit booking you tell you about the halibut size limit in 2011? It might get changed, but I wouldn't count on it. Right now, your limit would be 1 hali under 37". (22lbs) A far cry from the size of halibut they are used to catching up in that area.

Btw, they have some good king fishing up that way.

Thanks for the info on the King fishing..I haven't booked yet but have heard nothing about the Hali size limit...Was it that way last year or is this a new proposal for 2011..?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm curious, but the did charter outfit booking you tell you about the halibut size limit in 2011? It might get changed, but I wouldn't count on it. Right now, your limit would be 1 hali under 37". (22lbs) A far cry from the size of halibut they are used to catching up in that area.

Btw, they have some good king fishing up that way.

Last year it was one halibut, any size. The limit of 1 halibut under 37" is a new thing for 2011. I'm not sure if it's been signed into law yet, but their is a very good chance that will be the limit. You will want to be aware of the regs before you book or your trip won't meet your expectations, if big hali is part of your motivation for the trip.

Thanks for the info 270ti,that limit if it goes into effect will keep me from going up...When will the regs be set..?? And thanks a lot for the info...

John

I'm not exactly sure when it'll be set in stone. I was thinking it should be any day now. It's going to be a tough deal for SE charters, but I believe that you guys who are going to be dropping the big bucks need to be informed on stuff like this.

You might want to look at Seward or Homer, as they still have a 2 halibut limit, any size. Crackerjack seems to have the kings/hali figured out for early June.

Default Other fish besides Halibut

The King fishing in Pelican is great that time of year. Fish around the kelp beds and you might get a monster feeder king. I think the Ling Cod season is open also till June 15, Lots of rock fish and yelloweye also. There is great Dolly fishing with a fly in the creek out of the powerhouse. There are Spot shrimp in Stag Bay, and exploring old gold mines is fun also. I have spent time around the area the last few years and had a good time, you should not miss Rosie's bar, you have to sign the ceiling. Also if you time it right the Boardwalk Boogie will be going on and you will have the best party of your life, It is wild. You can party all night and fish all day. Remember what happens in Pelican stays in Pelican.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    The King fishing in Pelican is great that time of year. Fish around the kelp beds and you might get a monster feeder king. I think the Ling Cod season is open also till June 15, Lots of rock fish and yelloweye also. There is great Dolly fishing with a fly in the creek out of the powerhouse. There are Spot shrimp in Stag Bay, and exploring old gold mines is fun also. I have spent time around the area the last few years and had a good time, you should not miss Rosie's bar, you have to sign the ceiling. Also if you time it right the Boardwalk Boogie will be going on and you will have the best party of your life, It is wild. You can party all night and fish all day. Remember what happens in Pelican stays in Pelican.
    Thanks for the info...I think I'm going to wait till the Halibut regs are set,I can't see going up and having to weed through Halibut looking for 20 pound fish..Keep the info coming guys and thanks a ton...

Yes, that is the place for early season Kings. Deer Harbor is the place that they go. I would also look into Elfin Cove. I think it is a more scenic town and you can fish the same areas from there. If I were to charter in SE, this would be high on my list of places to go. Close to Glacier Bay, I would think you could get a day trip to there as well. When I was there there were float planes bring people over from Juneau, which would be a short hop.

It would be a good trip just for the kings, and late May should be just about right. I got a 90lb halibut within a few miles of Elfin Cove a few years ago, of course that may be catch and release this year if you are on a charter...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I've always wanted to get a charter from Pelican to run me up to the Fairweather Grounds to jig for Ling for the day. It would be some of the craziest ling fishing known to man..

The King fishing in Pelican is great that time of year. Fish around the kelp beds and you might get a monster feeder king.
    Would those be the beds near Miner Island, where Lisianski Inlet meets Linsianski Strait, or the ones at the mouth of Lisianski Strait? I have fished the Pelican/Elfin Cove area quite a bit over the last 10 years, but always later in the season. I will be there the 2nd week in June this year so I will be targeting kings for the first time. Any other suggestions for good spots for kings that time of year will be appreciated. I think my name went on the ceiling of Rose's Bar back in 2002.

Thanks,
    Big_E

I have done a fair bit of fishing out that way and late May would be a good time for fishing kings and okay for halibut. One thing that I will mention and others please correct me if I am wrong. You are very close to area 3A where there is a two fish limit with no size restrictions. I have fished off of Cape Spencer and seen chater boats from Elfin Cove in the area. So I think you would be allowed two halibut with no size restrictions if the weather allowed you to fish out there. It is only about a 15 mile run to to 3A.

I would agree with JRodgers about Elfin cove, it is a very cool little spot. If I could recommend a charter it would be Eagle charters out of Elfin Cove.
    Good guys, good boats & good fishing!

The area is between Miner Island and the waterfall towards town for the big ones. We picked up a lot of smaller kings between Miner Island and Soap Stone. We would zig zag back and forth across the inlet for the smaller kings. We even picked up a "2011 Legal Halibut" while trolling for kings. Just right size for lunch sandwiches. We went out L strait to Porcupine Island for ling cod, rock fish and yellow eye, We even caught a few Kings out by Porcupine, but the weather has to be good to get out and back. One trip out there was the trip from H___. Lots of seasick crew. We ended up going up around Cape Cross, the wrong thing to do in bad ocean conditions. That place gets nasty. In a 34 foot boat it was like being in a washing machine on the spin cycle for 2 hours.

The area is between Miner Island and the waterfall towards town for the big ones. We picked up a lot of smaller kings between Miner Island and Soap Stone. We would zig zag back and forth across the inlet for the smaller kings. We even picked up a "2011 Legal Halibut" while trolling for kings. Just right size for lunch sandwiches. We went out L strait to Porcupine Island for ling cod, rock fish and yellow eye, We even caught a few Kings out by Porcupine, but the weather has to be good to get out and back. One trip out there was the trip from H___. Lots of seasick crew. We ended up going up around Cape Cross, the wrong thing to do in bad ocean conditions. That place gets nasty. In a 34 foot boat it was like being in a washing machine on the spin cycle for 2 hours.
    Thanks for the info on Miner, and I know what you mean about Cape Cross. Last year we fished the Porcupine Isands and a bit north in 6 ' at 6 seconds; we left half the crew ( the smarter half?) back on the dock in Pelican. The water got even worse as we got closer to Cape Cross. We have done well several times, when the ocean was angry, fishing inside L strait for ling cod and halibut.

Big_E

A friend of mine caught a 212# halibut on the ridge between Miner Island and the "Y" of the Inlet and Strait, We drift fish that area a lot for Halibut if it is rough outside.

A friend of mine caught a 212# halibut on the ridge between Miner Island and the "Y" of the Inlet and Strait, We drift fish that area a lot for Halibut if it is rough outside.
    I have the area from Miners down to the dock in L Strait marked on my chart as the "Hurricane Hole" because it is fishable no matter how bad the weather is. We drift/jig for halibut or we'll break out the spinning and fly gear and fish the kelp across from the dock for quillbacks, sea trout, and an occasional ling and flag rockfish.

Big_E

Watch out for the rip tide just before the dock when there is a big tide change, one time I was going thru there and it turned the 34 foot boat 90 degrees, right toward shore in just a few seconds, it is real narrow at that point.