Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitter bear hunt

Default Whitter bear hunt

Just wondering how many people do a spring bear hunt in Whitter?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default First time

I will be doing my first trip out of Whitter this May18 - 28. I will be heading south about 80 to 100 miles. I understand that by going this far I will see less hunters.

Wow thats far. thats all the way out and past Montegue. Your right you won't see many that go out that far.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Not that far

Not that far, but it is in the lower left corner on page 72 of the Alaska Gazetteer.

You'll be runnign intto people who or going out of Seward though.

I'll be going out of Whittier..
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I am hoping to go out bear hunting in pws this spring for my first time. Have not really figured out where to go, but have been given a few ideas. It seems as though this hunt is primarily a spot, land and stalk operation. I did see a number of bears while out salmon fishing last year, but none that looked too big. Our plan is to take the boat out to one of the islands, secure it in a protected area and use the dingy to motor around the island(s) glassing. Sound like a sound plan? I have considered baiting so I could use the bow, but I haven't yet taken the bow certification class. Has anyone tried baiting in pws? If so, with what, dog food? In Minnesota we tried those burning incense bair attractants in remote locations where we couldn't practically haul in, and kept baited, a bait station over time. They didn't work for us.

Default PWS Bear Hunt

I have made a few trips over there for spring black bears. I like the last week of May to the first week of June. We usually spot from the boat and take the Zodiac to shore. Our trips are pretty laid back and we combine some fishing with it. At times we have seen bears on about every hill side once we left the harbor. I think the average size is a little bigger on the Kenai Penn. and a lot bigger in Southeast. My 2 girls and another young boy took their first bears in PWS. If the weather is good and the boat runs it is alot of fun for sure. There is alot more hunters there then there was 20 years ago and it will probably continue to draw more every year. We probably saw 20 bears last year but never did a stalk due to there size. With all the day light we do not hunt early in the morning and ya gotta sleep sometime.
    Last edited by .338 mag.; 02-26-2007 at 19:44. Reason: add on

Talking

Is it time to go yet? Comeon spring
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

No bears in PWS, I killed em all!!!!! Please go someplace else!!!! hahahahaha

Oh yeah, and to those who say they don't get big out there, when I have the time, I'll post a pic of 2 seven footers taken on the same day!!!! See, I killed em all, go someplace else!!!!! hahahaha

Red face

At least it should start warming up a little here in the next couple of weeks.

I look forward to a bear hunt this spring in PWS. My wife is from Missouri and has never been bear hunting, so this will be her first year. It should be interesting. What sticks is that she is a better shot than I am.

My first hunt and a few after was in Windy and Chugach Bay on the Gulf side. The bad thing is there is absolutly no protection from storms coming off the gulf. Got stuck there for 7 extra days for a 4 day hunt. It sucked.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

took a seven foot nine outa unit 13 last year and several others over seven foot...but i'd stay coastal if i was everyone...JinAk's got a hot spot somewhere..find it!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I might give spring bears a shot this year, especially since we teachers are getting out in late May for a change. I'd rather have the later start date/later end date, but you know what they say: When life gives you lemons, go bear hunting.

It all depends on whether my family's fishing boat is ready in time. We're getting a new engine, hydraulics, and electronics installed in Seward this winter, and progress has been slow to date. If she's ready to go, though, I'm on it. If you see the Miz Liz out on the sound, stop by and say hello.

-Brian

B M what motors are you putting on that boat and what slip is your boat on?

FISH- Haven't got a clue on the motor. The boat is my father's, though I'm hoping to slowly take it over. It's on C-float, can't recall the #.

-Brian

Sorry BM, no hot spot here, they all come from different places, just gotta know where the big one's are gonna be, that's the secret.....and they are where ya find em!!! hahaha, kinda like shrimp!!!

J - That was BRWNBR that mentioned the hotspot, not me. I've already got my own hotspot for blackies out there, and it happens to be in the same place as great shrimping and rockfish fishing! Can't wait for those sunny late May days.

-Brian

Oops, your right BM, it was BRWNBR...my bad, gotta lay off the cocktails!!! Anyway, here's a toast to hot spots!!!
    J

Default i have three different bays with big bears

the average bears out there are about 5-5.5'. some are hard to tell, look big but end up just a nice bear with nice fur. I am legal this spring and hope to get a 7'plus. i know they are there, seen them just not sure of exact size. got pic of one just after season closed, figures the time i see a big one the f&g change the close date!!! but oh well. cool seeing pop can size turds laying around the bait station. plus tracks wider than my thumb and pinky spread streight apart. Have some other areas i would love to investigate but need a tender with motor, have tender. they are everywhere out there. my dad another killed to 6.5'ers side by side, dropped them off a cliff into the water, back when you could shoot from the boat. Baindridge passage is a good spot where i don't hunt. Latuche on those islands out there from what we have killed are the average, never seen a monster. closer in towards whittier the later they come out. I know i am giving out way to much info but it is how i learned. plus just putting in miles on the boat and cruising, easy to do when you have people willing to go and pitch in. i am already starting to get the boat ready, buying stuff mainly and getting stuff ready to pull the boat in. well hope some of that info helps. gonna stop before i give out too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast