Thread: Bacon/Ham smoking

Default Bacon/Ham smoking

Anyone ever make their own bacon from a fresh butchered hog or smoke their own hams for that matter?
    Trying to decide if I want to do it myself or have Mat Vally or Pioneer meats or (offer suggestions) do it for us?
    Thanks
    BK

I had a bad experience a couple of years ago with a butcher smoking my hams. I'll never take meat in again.
    I've been doing my own hams, bacon and sausages for several years now. It's so simple and takes hardly any time at all. The hardest part is watching them in the smoker and not taste testing everything.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Default bacon

At the monent I have 60 lbs of bacons dry rubbed. Shoot me a PM with a phone # and good time to call and I will call you and we can chat

Grizz

Grizz,
    PM sent.
    BK

How about some recipes ?

The only recipe I use any more is 4 pounds salt mixed with 1 pound brown sugar.
    Use it as a dry rub, for bacon rub it on and let it sit for 4 days than rub more on. After a week rinse the meat than pat dry and smoke. For Hams rub it on and let it sit for 2-3 weeks, once a week rub more on. Keep it up so juices can drain out, but don't worry it's still going to be plenty juicy when its done.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.