Thread: Finalized next years hunting loads

Default Finalized next years hunting loads

I have finalized two loads for next years hunting season for my 300Win mag and my 358Win. I am using a 180gr TTSX for my 300Win and the 225gr Accubond for my 358Win. Results of my tests were as follows.

For the 300Win mag I used the following powders with Win Brass and CCI250 primers and with all powders listed the largest group with my 116FHSS Savage was 1.285" and the smallest group was .454"

RL-25 = 3051fps (fifth most accurate group .887")

RL-22 = 3099fps (fourth most accurate group .856")

RL-H1000 = 2968fps (worst group 1.285")

MRP-2 = 3025fps (third most accurate group .768")

MRP = 3129fps (second most accurate group .6789")

IMR4350 = 3052fps (sixth most accurate group .977")

H4350 = 3002fps (seventh most accurate group .989")

W-760 = 3074fps (most accurate group .454")

Most accurate group and load with 180gr TTSX 300Win Mag, W-760, 3074fps, .454"

For the 358Win, I used one load of TAC but two different primers Fed 215 and CCI250, with CCI250 primers giving more velocity and best accuracy.

Tac = 2552fps with Fed 215 primers

Tac = 2587fps with CCI250 primers and best group of .528"

Most accurate group and load with 225gr Accubond 358Win, TAC, 2587fps .528"

No pressure signs at all and very easy ejection.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Darned good shootin' Tex. Good luck on your hunts. I hope to do a spring black bear hunt with the T/C Encore 454 Casull I just picked up. Need to really get into doing load testing when the weather hits 40 degrees so my old bony joints don't freeze up, lol.

Hey, that sounds like a lot of fun going on that spring black bear hunt. I will be interested in how the T/C Encore in 454 does. It was 69 degrees this morning with cloud cover and not much wind so I took advantage of it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am going to try AA2230 as per Westerns Johnna's data. I have a 20.5" barrel on a 700 and that may be better for its length.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried AA2230, Its westrens top powder pick for the 358win with all bullets weights followed by AA2460. For Ram shot line its Xterminator then TAC. Johnna say faster is better for then 358. I have just don work up loads for both TAC and H4895 with the 225gr Sierra stopped at max listed about 2430fps with no pressure signs. AA2230 list another possible 100fps over TAC. I will post once I load these 225gr partitions and then will see if accuracy with the 200gr is any better than H322 gives me. A spring MAY time line for me.

I am compressed with the TAC and won't mention my load on forum, but I have no pressure signs at all and I am getting these velocities.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Which reminds me why I wish we could get +P or bolt gun loading data for the 358win same as most do for the 45-70 for trapdoor/1895/ ruger single shots. I did follow data from trusted friends and Johnan from western powder for +P 35rem loads in the 336 rifle.

My guess is for the 358 I would still be way under max If there were +P data to follow. For a 200gr close deer load 2450-2500fps is fine but for the 225gr bullets I wish I have a safe 2550fps load just for a solid 300yard gun. I do have a whelen but the 700SA carries so well.

I noticed your primers had very round edges nothing flat looking to me.

Yeah, that would be cool to have loads just for the bolt 358Win rifles. I will put it this way, with my 358Win Ruger Hawkeye, I can't get anymore TAC in my case and still seat the 225gr Accubond correctly. With that said, if I could get more in the case the Hawkeye would handle it. It will push the 250gr Partition over 2400fps and the 225 Partition just over 2500fps. Now anyway someone wants to cut it, when you move a 225gr bullet over 2580fps, that is nothing to sneeze at and with the Accubond at those velocities I do have a 300yd 358Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Did last year's hunting load actually do anything? What happened to those hunts? Post some pictures up!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Did last year's hunting load actually do anything? What happened to those hunts? Post some pictures up!
    I did not get to go on any hunts this last fall, and I only killed a doe this year using my 300Win mag. This was the worst hunting season I have had in 20yrs. This coming up year I have two out of state hunts planned and some good hunts in state set up. Should be a different hunting season than was this last one. The 165gr load for my 300win mag devastated the doe at 147yds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    ...with the Accubond at those velocities I do have a 300yd 358Win.
    BT,

Have you had any irregularities in performance from those Accubonds? They have been my main bullet in my .358 Norma going about 2850 fps. They had done exceptionally well for me prior to this year. The buck I shot was a whopping 30 ft. in front of me slightly quartering away. I didn't think I would even be able to get my gun raised as I was sitting on the ground and he came from behind me. I got the shot off though and he was totally unaware of me. I was thinking in my head, at this distance and that velocity this bullet is going to explode. I truly expected him to be knocked off his feet.

The last two bucks I had shot at over 200 yds. had both fallen over dead on the spot. But this guy took off like he was shot out of a canon for about 30 yds until he jumped over the edge of the hill out of my sight. I then expected to find him piled up just over the edge of the hill, but to my surprise when I got there he was nowhere to be seen. I was getting nervous I had missed, or worse made a bad shot. I went back to where he had been standing and started looking for blood and saw none.

Now I was REALLY nervous I had missed.

I decided to walk the line he had run on for a little farther. I never saw a drop of blood. This was in a pasture field so blood should have been easy to see. After about 50 yds of walking along the line he had taken I was loosing hope when I happened to look ahead to the edge of the woods and saw a small patch of white in a brush thicket. Luckily he had fallen belly up or I would never have seen him in there. He had run about 200yds. total in straight line and crashed as soon as he reached the tree line. There was not a drop of blood on that deer anywhere.

The bullet had gone in toward the back of the near side ribs and out just behind the far side leg. However, there was a .358" hole going in and a .358" hole going out. I was shocked at the apparent lack of expansion. I had broken 1 near side rib, gotten the back couple of inches of the near lung and obliterated the far lung. But no blood exited the cavity. I guess I can't say the bullet didn't do its job because the deer was dead. But that was the closest I have come to losing a deer in a long time.

Sorry that was a long explanation of what happened, but I was just curious if you have had any similar experiences with Accubonds. I know some guys on here hate them, and some swear by them. I guess at this point I am somewhere in between.

Evan

I have not had any bad failures from the Accubond in 30 cal, 338 Cal, or 35 cal, but that does not mean that at times all bullets due to many variables - from production, to the very circumstances of the environment, and game shot, along with bullet placement that can and do fail. The Accubond is a very good killer, but certain conditions can compromise the Accubond and as with any other bullet, there are conditions that I believe that can cause any bullet at some point to fail. I would not be to overly concerned about it unless from that same box of bullets you have a repeat of the problem.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS