Thread: I am looking for a bush pilot.....

Default I am looking for a bush pilot.....

Here is my plan:

Myself and 2-4 friends want to fly into Anchorage, and hop a bush plane deep into the backcountry to a rustic cabin. We are not looking for a plush cabin, but something bear proof and able to sleep 4-5. A wood stove would be nice!
    We want to spend about a week at this location. The plan is to pack in an emergency supply of food, and hunt (small game) and fish for the rest. Then be picked up at the end of the week. Is this idea feasable? We are all experienced in the outdoors (Colorado). Hoping maybe to rent a sattelite phone or Spot sattelite in case of injury or illness, other than that we want to be all aone in a remote location where the possibility of seeing others is slim.
    Any ideas? recommendations?

TIA,
    Mark

be sure to have your non res hunting and fishing licenses if you go.....this idea is possible but, just remember Alaska isnt colorado...there are not all kinds of small critters everywhere...living off the land isnt very easy here....fishing will be more reasonable, considering all odds, regardless of where you go here. You might get lucky to be in an area where the grouse and rabbit population is good, but its on the down cycle pretty much across the southcentral portion of the state, and youll need to make sure its open grouse season (starting in august) where you are....just makin sure you and your friends have thought of everything before commiting a trip here.....as you didnt specify the time of year and all that...the more specific you are about what you want and what your expecting, the more help youll get on this site.

Release Lake Trout

Not sure how "deep" into the backcountry you want to get. There are probably some cabins in the Interior available, but I'm not sure how you'd find them. However, here's a possible alternative- the Forest Service cabins are scattered throughout Southcentral and Southeast, most are accessible by bush plane or by hiking in, they're inexpensive, ($25-45 a night), and they're got the essentials- heating stove, wooden bunks, tables and benches, outhouses. Many that are situated on lakes have rowboats available, and most are remote enough that you won't have to deal with lots of passers-by. One that might suit you well is the West Swan cabin on the Kenai. It's not on the trail so you won't have people dropping in, there's a boat handy and plenty of fish in the lake, including salmon, (in season), lake trout, rainbows and Dolly Varden, you can hike up onto the nearby mountains for ptarmigan, and if you want more exercise you can row the boat to the other end of the lake and access the Resurrection Pass trail. Check out availability at www.recreation.gov for details. Good luck with the plans- if you've got more questions, PM me or reply here.

Thanks for the replies! I was looking at the sunrise / sunset calendar, and I think June or July would be best. However, I've never been to Alaska so any suggestions on time of year would be much appreciated. Ptarmigan would be an ideal prey. I know here in Colorado they are easy targets as they seldom fly far away. Will definately have all required permits. West swan lake cabin seems perfect! I checked it out on the website. What do you think it would cost to be flown in and out of Swan lake? We are very flexable with this plan, and will adapt to suggestions. As I look on Google Earth it seems Swan Lake is about 35 miles from Anchorage. (as a crow flies) I think that is far enough in the backcountry. That terrain around the cabin looks awesome too. We could climb the Mtns, and explore around when not finding fish.

also, check the hunting and fishing regs.....ptarmigan can be legally taken only from august 10-mar31....its remote enough.... about a 1/2 day to a days good hard hike from the sterling highway....lots of black and brown bears in that area so be cautious....

Release Lake Trout

Can bush planes land on Swan Lake? it would be hard to hike in with gear.

Ptarmigan season doesn't open until Aug. 10 on the Kenai, so if you're looking for maximum daylight hours, you'll have to sacrifice some hunting opportunities. However in August, there's still going to be more daylight than you're used to in CO. Snowshoe hare hunting is open year around, but I'm not sure of the population situation down there, and most guys don't shoot hares until after the snow files. However, you should have really good fishing in the lake, and there are caribou, mountain goats, Dall sheep, black and brown bears, wolves, coyotes, and moose in the area, so if you're interested in hiking and wildlife viewing in addition to "living off the land", the opportunities are legion. The cabins are pretty popular, so get your reservations in ASAP once you make plans, and the sooner the better. One problem with waiting until later in the season is that moose season opens on August 20, so the demand for cabins goes way up then. As far as flying in, check with Rust's Flying Service in Anchorage, ( www.flyrusts.com) or Scenic Mountain Air in Moose Pass ( scenicmountainair.com) for rates. Good luck with the plans.

Yep, not a problem.

Living off the land in June and July is a pipe dream without breaking the law. Do yourself a favor, bring enough food, a good camera and your fishing poles.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

sorry for the ignorance, but why do you say that? Not enough game?

That cabin was most likely booked two months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb64vols View Post
    sorry for the ignorance, but why do you say that? Not enough game?

Because no game is open for hunting. Hard to live off of game if it isnt open season. The only thing open year round in most parts of the state are hares. And they arent very good to eat in the summer and can develop tularemia in the hot months which can be deadly if you eat them it isnt a huge risk as the numbers of those effected is very low but it is still a risk. HE says bring your fishing poles because that will be the only thing you can legally take, and even then some places are catch and release only so even then you may be out of luck. I would say you could gather berries but not in june/july they arent ready until august/sept.