Thread: pick up / suv pet ramps ?

Default pick up / suv pet ramps ?

Does anyone use or have a reccomendation for a ramp to get in & out of vehicles with? We are trading out the SUV for a pickup that sits higher & with the dog turning nine I was thinking it would be good to use for her to get in & out of the cab with instead of jumping all the time.
    Any suggestions of decent ones? If it matters she is a 74lb shorthair.

I use steps that I keep in the bed. A ramp could be easily built, or just ATV ramps will do. Good luck bud.

I don't think it's a good thing for even a young dog to be constantly jumping down from a pickup. I pick up each dog by collar and tail and place it on the ground or up on the tailgate. I've never seen a decent ramp.

"I've never seen a decent ramp"

Thanks,
    Thats what I was afraid of. She gets to ride in the cab & goes everywhere so it is a lot of in & out. I might look into the step idea.

I have been using a telescoping dog ramp from Cabelas for several years now. Works great for getting dogs in and out of the sides of the dog truck and trailers.

Here is what WR is talking about, good setup, but relativley expensive. Might be a bit big for what you want.
    http://www.cabelas.com/waterfowl-boa...linds-18.shtml

I think Jim hit the nail. If you can, pick them up by the scruff(I avoid the collar, but no big deal)/rear end, that's what most do. It's entirely possible those ramps weigh as much as your dog, and then it's pointless, IMO.

After my 10 yr.old Chessie had his acl chewed up by a bear, I bought one that folds in half, think at " alaska mill and feed". Seems like it was in the $70 range. Was a life, saver for an 85# dog. You owe it to your dog.
    Goo

Checkout www.discountramps.com they have pet ramps in just about every flavor and price range. I've ordered from them once...I don't really remember having any problems with their service.

Actually, I'm getting tired of picking up each of my bird dogs after a long day of hunting. I'm not getting any younger, you see. So I bring along a pretty young woman on each hunt and let her pick the dogs up and put them back into the kennels mounted in my truck. :-)

On a serious note...I'm also a big fan of carrying my dogs in kennels fastened down hard onto my truck bed. I don't like them all over inside of the truck 'cause I have too many, they sometimes smell really bad, and because it's a lot safer if they aren't loose in the cab.

Jim

Maybe I am missing something, but why wouldn't a piece of plywood work? Just throw it in the back of the truck and lean it up to the door when the dog needs it. Seems you could hold it with your foot and it would be fine. Maybe even add some stick-on tread that people put on stairs. Lowes sells them for about 7 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, but why wouldn't a piece of plywood work? Just throw it in the back of the truck and lean it up to the door when the dog needs it. Seems you could hold it with your foot and it would be fine. Maybe even add some stick-on tread that people put on stairs. Lowes sells them for about 7 bucks.
    That is definitely how red green would do it! minus the fancy grip tape. He would use duct instead.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Me too Jim, I have a young stud along ... I liked my set up for my F-150. A frame of 2 x 4s covered with plywood and a rug reminant in the bed. Then build a ramp of plywood and 1" strips that slides under the platform. Have to monkey around with ways to attach it since trucks are different and tailgates are not all the same. I had a cap on my truck too.