Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best egg hook /salmon

Default Best egg hook /salmon

What's the best size and brand for salmon fishing with cured eggs. Not trying too get into a fight with this question.

my personal favorite egg rig, is the brads leaders single hook egg loop rig....they come in like 6 different sizes and and they are perfect for drifting an aerodrifter or corky rig,great for trout,silvers, and kings or just with eggs by themselves....cheap too and saves alot of time....get em at fred meyers, sportsmans, walmart....

you can also make your own pretty easily....for most salmon fishing here, silvers and king rigs should be made up off size 4/0 (top)/ and 5/0 (bottom) (i like brads hooks, gamakatsu, even eagle claw) and 15-25 lb test leader.....for alot of smaller streams for silvers, i like to use rigs with 3/0 (top) and 4/0 (bottom).. just to throw this out there, not saying you dont know this already but some people have no idea, t fish cured eggs successfull you have to use an egg loop as they do not stay on a hook without it.....

Release Lake Trout

Owner ssw super needle point is a personal fave.

I use the smallest hook I can get away with...with kings and big baits, sometimes this is a 4/0 or 5/0, but mostly 2/0 and 3/0. Coho, 2 to 2/0, again depending on bait size.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default A Quick Comment on Egg Loops

Something that I use to keep your eggs from being cut off by your eggs loop is pretty nifty.Take a piece of pipe-cleaner and make 7-10 wraps around a 16 penny nail.Keep the wraps spaced tightly together.When you have about a half inch wrap,stop,cut it off with clippers,needle nose pliers,whatever gives you a nice clean cut.Take your egg loop out of the eye of the hook and thread your leader thru the pipe-cleaner wrap,then back thru the hook eye.
    Now when you put your eggs in the loop and pull the leader tight ,your eggs will be protected from your line by the fuzzy's of the pipe cleaner.You can also add scent to the pipe-cleaner for some addditional attraction.Pipe-cleaners come in a variety of colors so you can customize your offering even more.This little addition might just give you that edge we all look for when the bite is slow or the river looks more like a freeway during rush hour.
    I don't have any "scientific proof" that this helps,but I do know that it has allowed me to catch fish when all those around me were getting nothing.

I like to use 2/0 and 3/0 owner hooks, but their expensive so I end up using a lot of 4/0 and 5/0 gamagatsu pre tied egg loops.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I used some 2/0 & 3/0 Owner octopus last year on a sampling trip for kings. In four days of non stop fishing and 200 kings later, 4 packs of the Owners were bent. I switched to the Gamakatsu octopus 2/0 & 3/0 and didn't bend any. I'm not sure what Owner model # I was using, but I was greatly dissappointed.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Gamakatsu Big River Bait... their version of the sickle bend.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/bigriver.htm
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Gamakatsu Big River Bait... their version of the sickle bend.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/bigriver.htm
    Doc, what size are you going to be running on the Kenai this year? I was thinking a 7/0 looks perfect for kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Builder View Post
    Doc, what size are you going to be running on the Kenai this year? I was thinking a 7/0 looks perfect for kings.
    We land fish over 40 pounds virtually every year in my back yard trolling std Gami 5/0 octopus hooks. Have yet to straighten a hook out and I believe in pulling as hard as the rod can stand at all times!

Got Gami's 6/0 sickle next to a std 7/0 octopus as I type... gap is identical. I believe the 7/0 octopus I grew up using on the Kenai is already too big.... leaves too big a hole in the fish and has too much reach. Not to mention the wire caliber is much harder to drive into flesh on the strike.

Given all the dinks in the river, the 7/0 sickle is gonna be overkill. I'd guess you're gonna take out a lot of eyes with that much reach.

I'm going with the 5/0 sickle.... rigged hangback.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

You make a good point on going with the smaller hooks, I may rethink my choice. I'm not so much a fan of the hangback though, especially after watching the Toman Egg Bites video.

Why not? Better hook exposure since it won't be shielded by the bait.

Also better odds of the hook being OUTSIDE the mouth when a fish hits... most of the fish will be hooked from the outside in.

The risk is that if it's a really big buck, he could take the entire thing in his mouth.... hook and all. That extended reach could end up bagging a gill arch. But the same thing could also happen with a std rigging.... any of us who bounce bait know it does happen once in a while.
    The KeenEye MD

Have you seen the video Doc? When I watched it, I was shocked to watch a salmon come up to the bait, push the stinger hook away with it's nose then chomp on the bait. It then turned and left, never coming close to the hookpoint.

I have the second video in the series which includes teasers for the third (the one devoted to egg bites). Maybe we're seeing different things, but what I saw is repeated attacks on the bait by sometimes multiple fish until the eggs were gone. If you've got good bait, a biter is NOT going to give up. Some of those fish in the egg bite vid were tempted with hookless baits.... inhaling the eggs completely into their mouth chomping away, releasing mass amounts of egg juice that would go trailing out the gills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TAP5X0hqeE

Toman believes in rigging fixed doubles, spaced quite close together for his stinger setup.

I rig a "Kenai amputee" with one terminal single and hang mine further back from the bait than does Master Toman. I have yet to determine the ideal spacing for Kenai kings. I'm thinking it's probably further back than in the attached pic.

When fishing fresh eggs for trout with the hangback amputee, my hook is about 3" from the bait. The fish try like crazy to inhale my baits but that hangback hook hangs up somewhere on the jaw or maxillary plate... hooking the fish from the outside to the inside.

The objective is a NON-mortal hooking site that is most easily accessible for a quick release. I never want that hook INSIDE the mouth when fishing bait.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The KeenEye MD

You know, I would LOVE to see a video on how to tie an egg set up I have basic setups with Gomakatzu hooks and 50lb test leader. But how does one properly tie the loop to hold the eggs. I'm sure I can find someone to show me when I go fishing, but I'm just saying, that would be a great instructional video to post on here......

Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post
    You know, I would LOVE to see a video on how to tie an egg set up I have basic setups with Gomakatzu hooks and 50lb test leader. But how does one properly tie the loop to hold the eggs. I'm sure I can find someone to show me when I go fishing, but I'm just saying, that would be a great instructional video to post on here......
    A trick we have begun to use other than the first hook amputee method is to slide a a three way swivel with the leader running through two of the three rings. Pull out the line insert eggs, and the cinch the line and swivel up against the bait. I was a little leery of using this rig since I thought the fish would "feel" the swivel, but we catch fish. I guess there is just as good of a chance to feel the top hook that you cut the point from. the best three way swivels are the ones that are "flat" vs "round" for the metal holding the rings to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    A trick we have begun to use other than the first hook amputee method is to slide a a three way swivel with the leader running through two of the three rings. Pull out the line insert eggs, and the cinch the line and swivel up against the bait. I was a little leery of using this rig since I thought the fish would "feel" the swivel, but we catch fish. I guess there is just as good of a chance to feel the top hook that you cut the point from. the best three way swivels are the ones that are "flat" vs "round" for the metal holding the rings to each other.
    Kardinal:

I am trying to visualize the three-way deal you are using. With the line running through two of the three swivels eyes, then the other swivel eye is sticking out at a 90 degree angle to the line?? Is this correct? Do you think using a bead chain and running the line through the eyes would work?

ClearCreek

Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post

I just searched on youtube for instructional videos and taught myself how to tie egg loops. It took about an hour of practice and 25 pokes to my finger tips before I figured out how to keep my finger tips out of the way.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Builder View Post
    I'm not so much a fan of the hangback though...
    In the vast majority of the fisheries I partake, "hangback" is virtually the only way I roll....

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=268341
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    In the vast majority of the fisheries I partake, "hangback" is virtually the only way I roll....

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=268341
    I'm a fan of the "hangback" when using eggs. When I can't use bait I don't use it.

Is this the link you meant, MNViking? Looks pretty much what I was asking for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUp-fbiLZVs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast