Thread: Launching from the Su

Cool Launching from the Su

Besides Deshka landing what say you about launching from other areas close by and how did you like them I have only used Deshka landing but would like to try somewhere else usually I'm headed toward skwentna direction. Already got boating fever I know it's early.

Deshka landing gives you access to the Big Su and all it's tributaries such as Yetna, Skwetna, Deshka, Willow, and Alexander.
    Little Su gives you access to the Lil Su river only.
    Talkeetna launch gives you access to the Big Su and the Talkeetna river.
    All are decent launches with plenty of river to explore. Lillte Su river gets kinda small and would not be a run you would want for a large boat as it could get dangerous for you and others you might meet on the river.
    Check out the Alaska Gazateer for other tributaries that you might be able to access with your baot.
    What size boat are you runnig? This will determine where you might be able to go.
    How skilled are you at running your boat?
    BK
    BK

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Susitna Landing gives you close access to the Kashwintna River, Sheep Creek and Montana Creek upstream and Little Willow and Willow Creek downstream, as well as access to all the other points mentioned above with longer runs to start. Plus Susitna Landing is a great campground with a small harbor so you can launch your boat and leave it in the water during your stay. There is also decent bank fishing at times for the kids and lots of room to run.

The best thing for me has always been the excuse to run the river more. Its 18 miles to the Deshka River and it is real river running, not the big lake channel from Deshka Landing, lot of braided channels and great opportunities to get stuck.

Good stuff thx for the replys, I'll giver a try this year.