Thread: Barneys External Frame pack users?

Default Barneys External Frame pack users?

What kind of bags/packs do you have attached to your Barney's external frame? And why do you like your pack design?

I don't have any bag attached to my Barney's frame at this point.... But I'm planning on having Apocalypse Design sew up one for me this spring that deletes all the large side pockets usually found on external frame pack bags. I found I get along just fine without them on internal frame packs, and much prefer the narrower width.

Yk

I'll have to check em out. I also only have the external frame. I'm weighing out different options for what to attach onto it. Trying to figure out what others have done.

Pinnacle kevlar bag. Big enough for anything I might need and probably too big for anything I can handle.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Barneys Hunter bag in 1000 cordura nylon .....its camo, and a little faded, but still works.

I've got the pinnacle kevlar (from Barney's). Great bag overall. I like being able to haul out 1/2 a sheep plus the cape and horns along with my hunting gear. As mentioned above, it will hold more than I can pack. My need for the space tends to be with bulky things or after a kill. Nice to have that extra space. I like having pockets on the outside for things that I get at often like my spotter, snacks, etc.

Possibly this year I'll be making a few modifications that I have thought about for a while. First is to set something up in the pocket on the top flap to hold my hydration bag (like a camel back). I like the rifle carrier on the side, but it can be difficult to access. I'd to figure out a quicker way to get it out. I was thinking maybe some kind of quick release thing on the buckles.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I have thought about for a while. First is to set something up in the pocket on the top flap to hold my hydration bag (like a camel back). I like the rifle carrier on the side, but it can be difficult to access. I'd to figure out a quicker way to get it out. I was thinking maybe some kind of quick release thing on the buckles.
    Funny you mention that. I recently put a corral gunslinger strap on the waistbelt of my Barney's frame for the stock of my rifle to ride and slide the barrel of my rifle into a zip-tie loop that is attached to my Barney's frame. No flopping around, tight and secure, and just a buckle release and the rifle slides down out of the zip-tie loop and the gun is free to shoot. I tried the Kifaru gun bearer and it wasn't for me. I also like this setup cause I can sit down and not have to remove the gun like you do with the gun bearer. Also the 22" barrel of my rifle sits just above my head rather than how high it used to ride when strapped seated in the water bottle pockets of my Mystery Ranch and Arcteryx packs. Gun slinger makes an additional sternum strap that secures the rifle to you via the rifle's sling, but I found that I had to put my rilfe sling back on and it flopped around too much for my liking so I went to the zip tie method.

Will likely trick my wife's pack out the same way.

Here is a couple pics I took of the setup with a really ugly model I found on the street to put it on while I snapped the pics HAHA It is the barney's frame with the corral gun slinger on the waist belt, and the 3.25 pound 8100 cu in of pack space compressed down super small. Really wouldn't know there was that much pack space there as it compresses down so well compared to my Barney's hunter 7000 cu in pack. Plus the packbag setup cost about $105 total and the frame was $250 so its pretty affordable really. Of course the meat shelf and top bar have been removed:

Barrel sitting just above my head rather than nearly 12" should make for better brush busting then before.

Side profile of the 8100 cu in compressed down and how the rifle rides:

Close up of the gun slinger:

And the zip-tie where the barrel is secured:

Ok, Alaska_Lanche, you keep talking about this new pack set up you have. Give us the details....

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    Pinnacle kevlar bag. Big enough for anything I might need and probably too big for anything I can handle.
    +1

I really feel the Pinnacle is the way to go.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I've got the pinnacle kevlar (from Barney's). Great bag overall. I like being able to haul out 1/2 a sheep plus the cape and horns along with my hunting gear. As mentioned above, it will hold more than I can pack. My need for the space tends to be with bulky things or after a kill. Nice to have that extra space. I like having pockets on the outside for things that I get at often like my spotter, snacks, etc.
    You need a job? Seriously though I think he really hit the nail on the head for why I think the Pinnacle is the way to go. Sure it can carry more than you should carry in to the field. I hear this all the time, but if having more capacity means you bring more stuff then you need to head back to back packing 101! It can however mean you have all the volume you need to get out of of the field with your trophies and gear. The other complaint I hear is it carries the load to low. Again return directly to back packing 101. If you lay the pack down flat, load it, tighten the sinch straps, and then stand it up right and go you will be fine!

Brett

I wish that they would add a lower sleeping bag zipper on the pinnacle bag. I pack my gear according to weight so that it carries right and having to unpack the whole bag when I need to get to certain items is a PITA!

Thanks for the link AK_Lanche I plan on doing some playing w/ my McHale pack when I get home (hopefully soon) to find a better way to haul my rifle.

i agree on the lower shelf zip on the pinnacle bag, that would be handy sometimes, but i've made it 12 years without one and still not frustrated.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212