Thread: Close call no problem

Default Close call no problem

Last weekend me and my boy where out on the wheelers checking beaver traps. We were about 12 miles from home and 40 almost unnavigable miles from any other shelter. (We Live in the Bush). I took a dumb step on a beaver dam and next thing I know I was up to mid thigh in mud and to my armpits in water. After he got me out we made our way back to the wheelers which were only about 50 yards away. by this time I was getting a little cold. With a pole a silver tarp the 2 wheelers and some rope he made a quick little shelter / reflector. As I was getting undressed he pulled out on of those sawdust and wax fireplace logs. With this and some dry wood he dug up he had a nice hot fire going in front of me and the reflector. Now I got my dry clothes, boots, and shop towels out of the box on the wheeler. After I was dried off and redressed we hung my rain gear next to the fire to dry out. We drank some coffee next to the fire and had a sandwich. this was long enough for my rain gear to dry out. We then tore down the shelter tried to put out the fire ( those wax logs burn well.) we got it on the way back through. we finished out the day dry and warm. This could have been real bad if we weren't well prepared. oh yea did I mention that after the 12 mile wheeler ride we had a 3 mile ride in an open skiff with the wheelers back across the bay to get home.

Woody

Great story! Sounds like it could have gone south in a hurry. It really pays to carry the basics. What was the temp?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default temp

Down low where we were it was around 35 to 38 not real bad, but as soon as we turned around to head home we start a 2300 ft climb and then a drop back to sea level. On top of the mountain it was windy and well below freezing.

Woody

Thumbs up brrrrr...

Great story, glad to hear it ended well. I was in a similar situation with my older brother back when we were quite young (maybe 8 or 10). We were out hunting and I dropped through the ice on a shallow riverbend. Should have done what you did, but we tried to make it for home instead...bad idea. Home was only about a mile away, but we had to cross on open field. Wind and cold was harsh and my pants froze solid. My brother had to sling me over his shoulder...ma and pa, not so happy, but glad we made it home;0

Sounds like you've educated your boy well!