Thread: McKinley Meat Processing in Palmer?

Default McKinley Meat Processing in Palmer?

Anybody have any butchering done at McKinley meats in Palmer?
    I know they only take live farm animals. I have a hog I want done.
    I normally do all my own critters but that's wild game. Unfortunately I do not have a bandsaw and want some of the hog made into chops, bacon, etc...
    Thanks in advance,
    BK

I haven't had them do any of my slaughtering or butchering in the last 15 years or so. I used to have one beef per year taken there between the early and mid-90s, so I can't speak to recent quality of service.

Back when I used them, they were reasonable, and did a neat, professional job, typically leaving the cleaned and processed carcasses in hanging halves (at my request), wrapped in shrink-wrap, at which point I'd pick up the meat and take it to my meat cutter in South Central. They even saved sweet breads and various other edibles, such as tongue, liver, heart, kidney, etc., when asked to do so.

I don't know if they still offer the same types of service or not, or even if they've changed hands (tho' I'm inclined to think they -did- sell to another owner some time back in the last 10-15 years) but back in the time-frame in which I used them they offered butchering and other training to trustees or other better-behaved prisoners from the Palmer State Correctional facility; a good thing to do, in my opinion, considering the potentially lucrative nature of being known as a skilled butcher by profession, and needing some possibilities for meaningful income upon release from prison... It's a trade that's capable of paying some bills and which won't lead straight back to the prison gates.

Back then they offered large flats of sausages such as hot links at a reasonable rate too. I didn't regard them as a high-quality sausage back then, but as commercial fare goes, they were edible.

But like I said, it's been many years since I was down that way for that purpose, or did any business with them.

Ruffle,
    Thanks, they still use inmates that are supervised by a butcher from what I gather. They pretty much do meat cutting only and breakfast sausage according to their website. I'll have to take the bacon and ham to someone to have it smoked I believe.
    Anyone else care to chime in?
    BK