Thread: Braided line

Default Braided line

Has anyone had any dealings with this Dyneema type braided line?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Quality-Dyne...item27b8d55a8c

Was considering using on my extra spare reels for guests and family to borrow. Would like to know if it's really worth it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    Has anyone had any dealings with this Dyneema type braided line?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Quality-Dyne...item27b8d55a8c

Was considering using on my extra spare reels for guests and family to borrow. Would like to know if it's really worth it?

Thanks!
    I've never even heard of the brand. I'd be wary if I were you. If they're offering it at such a low price I'd be VERY suspicious of it. I buy PowerPro because it has a little more "body" to it that keeps it from doing things like wrapping around your tip, etc.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I've never even heard of the brand. I'd be wary if I were you. If they're offering it at such a low price I'd be VERY suspicious of it. I buy PowerPro because it has a little more "body" to it that keeps it from doing things like wrapping around your tip, etc.
    I couldn't agree more. 80# PowerPro is a godsend.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I also,,, like the PRO POWER 60lb. and 80lb.

Daiwa Saltiga is my favorite braid that I've tried thus far.

power pro is the only way to go. Its all i use when i use a braid

Remember, you get what your pay for. CAVEAT EMPTOR. That said, I do have some. Spectra and Dyneema are both chemically identical or close. The main differences lie in the weaving, construction and quality of manufacturing processes. I would do some internet surfing/searches on both types of braid. The Dyneema I have is 80 pound and compared to Power Pro is coarsely woven. Noticeably less smooth in appearance and feel. Think fine tooth saw metal cutting saw versus aggressive coarse tooth wood saw. The cheap Chinese Dyneema may be a coarse tooth saw on your expensive X-brand rod's guides. just my 2-cents YMMV. On an all roller rod with suitable reel it should be okay....other wise what Coho Dave said.....beware.

Great info! Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked before I even attempted to try it. Maybe I'll spool some dacron on for backing then do powerpro for running line then.

Thanks!

you need to back it with dacron because its slipery and can spin on the reel spool. The dacron grabs the spool and stops that. Also on a large reel its a whole bunch cheeper to spool with a mix and to replace when it gets worn.

I purchased a couple of spools off Ebay about 3 years ago. It wore out quick and frayed real easy. Good lines are Power Pro, Shealth Line(which is Spider Wire) and Tough Line.

You will change your minds, if you fish with a different brand of braid. Power Pro is just ok...

So what is better than the power pro. What is the price difference? Power pro is expensive enough for me.

Maybe Tuf Line XP is better or some exotic Japanese stuff like Samurai or something else. Different strokes....

I like my power pro. What's supposed to be much better?

You could use it to back fill your reels then top them off with Power Pro or what ever, which seems to be the norm. I bought some inexpensive braid from Cabela’s than topped my reels with 150 yards or 80# spider wire.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I fish Baja a lot and fish with a friend that owns a lodge there and he has seen it all for tackle......I also have fished Long Range out of San Diego several times and that is the tackle torture of em all....from that I and others have concluded that PowerPro does not wear well and is sometimes inconsistent.

The preferred line down there is Jerry Brown Line 1.......Jerry is a small operator in Oregon and he makes exceptional line in both solid braid and hollow braid. I haven't been able to wear it out and I get better knots with JB. The hollow braid is available for those who want a smooth leader splice.

Check out the web site of BHP Tackle.....Basil is a straight-up guy that sells JB line and has the answers and he doesn't fleece Alaskans on shipping costs.

Some interesting stuff, a different fishing philosophy for sure.
    Would like to try wind on leaders, wonder if anyone here uses them?

http://bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=33

I made up some wind on leaders last winter, and started using them last season. On my salmon/rockfish rods which use 30# braid I used 50# mono leaders. On my butt/ling jigging rods I used 80# mono with 65 and 50# braid on the reels.

It's a bit time consuming to make the wind on leaders, but so long as I didn't hang up a jig on the bottom, they lasted all season. I'm too cheap the buy the commercial windons. On the occasions I did break off, I just tied on a corkscrew swivel with a palomar (I like to get back into action quickly).

I use wind-on leaders for Baja fishing but haven't used em in Alaska......I guess because I seldom fish in Alaska.

The wind-on leader provides a fast splice from Spectra to fluourocarbon and allows use of a fairly short FC for savings.

When "trolling" for cubera snapper [aka pargon or dog-tooth snapper]. I troll with an Accurate Twin Drag 30 loaded with 130 JB #1 Hollow Braid with a wind-on 25 ft, 150# fluourcarbon leader. When the fish hits, the outboard is opened and we attempt to keep the fish from teh rocks......rod is in gunwale rod holder to prevent fisherman from getting pulled over. The wind-on splice holds better than any of the dozens of knots I have used over the years and if damaged by rocks, I can change it out in a minute.

I have made my own wind-on leaders and have the tools but usually buy a few from Basil......I can't say enough good things about Basil.....his small operation provides the best service available and he's very kmowledgeable.

Spectra knots can be problematic.....a Bimini in Power Pro is a very weak knot.....probably 50%-60%.....JB forms better.

In my experince with Spectra Biminis, I find a loosely twisted 30-40 turn with knot glue works best.