Thread: ThermaCell

Default ThermaCell

Anyone have any experience with these insect repellents? Thinking about investing in one this spring to keep the pests away, would be great on stand if they really work.

Default thermacell

my son has used them and swears by them for keeping those pesky skeeters away. seemed to work whether he was walking or standing. used in both swampy areas and areas full of trees.

Default Excellent

They are excellent!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up thermacell

they are incredibly effective

Default They Rock!!!

Used one the past year on my Bear Bait and you could see the circle of mosquitos around us out about ten feet and the bears didnt seem to mind it. But keep in mind if the wind picks up even a little the potency of it goes down. I still think it's well worth the money though.

I bought one last year, used it in the boat at the deshka. The mosquitos were horrible until we broke out the thermacell. In short order they were virtually gone from inside the boat. As F-16 stated, a slight breeze will decrease the effectiveness but it may also ground them dive bombers. They aren't particularly cheap but I'd say they are worth having especially in a tent, boat, front door of the cabin, etc.

Default Worth every penny!!!!!

Within a few minutes I could remove my net and enjoy the hunt. The wind will reduce effectiveness. I will keep one with me at all times. Get the holder, it keeps extra fuel cells and pads.

Steve

Default Yes and no...

Great product if the wind isnt blowing. Thats the only drawback though.

I'll join in an recommend them also. We used one on a caribou hunt last year. We primarily used it under the dining tarp and we could eat in peace. It was very effective. Because of the lean-to tarp set up we used, the wind did not negate its effectiveness and it was great not having to try and eat through a head net.

Default Therma Cell

Well you guys have me sold, knew I came to the right place for advice. Thanks guys for the info and good hunting to you all this season...

How much do they cost? Anything to watch out for? Tony

Default They work

They are about $25.00 if memory serves me right.
    I am curious if the little butane cartridges are banned on flights? They are really no different than a lighter.....

reuben...

Thumbs up Thermocell

You might watch at Walmart. I picked mine up on a 50% sale-$12.00 last year. I also got the holder & pads for another $3-$4. The fuel cells were also on sale but don't remember how much. Must have been cheap because I picked up 10 of them.

Default Take Ben's also

I am from North Carolina and have never heard of Ben's till I was in Kotz in 2004 working for about 6 mos. Great stuff and it can really save you if the bugs are bad. Its 100% deet and will eat your plastic watchband, is not to be used on small children, and IT WORKS. I would take a bottle or two in addition to the Thermacell. It is sold in a small orange bottle and can be found at www.campmor.com and Cabelas (if I am not mistaken). I wouldnt take a trip in the bush without atleast one bottle. A little will do you. Keep it away from your lips. Its numbing! Store in a ziplock bag and dont get it on your hands and touch anything made of plastic (sunglasses, scope covers, binoculars) as it may degrade the plastic. If you fish, dont let it on your fishing lines whatever you do. I use the back of my hands to apply it and that work great. It is a spray an the back of the hands is only used to put it around face and neck. One thing to remember about the fuel bottles for the Thermacell, you can not take them in your carry on or checked luggage. If found they will be thrown away by TSA agents at the airport. You could mail them up to the bush pilot ahead of time. That shouldnt be a problem as people mail up all kinds of stuff (like stove fuel) for the same reason. Just a reminder.

Default Bear Bait

Anyone have any experience with these in the Bait Stands? Does it seem to spook the bears?

Default ThermaCell

Thumbs up. My husband has had one and gave it to me so that I could watch the boys play baseball and I love it.
    I'll be using it more often this summer once we do more camping and climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by BearSlayer View Post
    Anyone have any experience with these in the Bait Stands? Does it seem to spook the bears?
    I use it in my stands, hasn't seemed to spook bears yet. -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I am from North Carolina and have never heard of Ben's till I was in Kotz in 2004 working for about 6 mos. Great stuff and it can really save you if the bugs are bad. Its 100% deet and will eat your plastic watchband, is not to be used on small children, and IT WORKS. I would take a bottle or two in addition to the Thermacell. It is sold in a small orange bottle and can be found at www.campmor.com and Cabelas (if I am not mistaken). I wouldnt take a trip in the bush without atleast one bottle. A little will do you. Keep it away from your lips. Its numbing! Store in a ziplock bag and dont get it on your hands and touch anything made of plastic (sunglasses, scope covers, binoculars) as it may degrade the plastic. If you fish, dont let it on your fishing lines whatever you do. I use the back of my hands to apply it and that work great. It is a spray an the back of the hands is only used to put it around face and neck. One thing to remember about the fuel bottles for the Thermacell, you can not take them in your carry on or checked luggage. If found they will be thrown away by TSA agents at the airport. You could mail them up to the bush pilot ahead of time. That shouldnt be a problem as people mail up all kinds of stuff (like stove fuel) for the same reason. Just a reminder.

Dan, we'd rather get eaten alive than put that stuff on the kids, wife or myself.
    Sounds like pure poison.

Does anyone know if the Thermacell has any odor or hazardous downside?

Thanks in advance,
    Frank

Default ThermaCell

I have been using the the ThermaCell. It is suppose to be odorless and nonhazardous; but you need to use it in a ventilated area. Not sure on that one. Also, not sure how it can be scentless and still work. But I will give it a try on the bait.

How long does the fuel last in them?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK