Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marten taxidermy

Default Marten taxidermy

I have a buddy that trapped his first marten and would like to get it mounted. Unfortunatly the best price he could find was $500.00. I know nothing about taxidermy but compared to $1k for a nice black bear rug this seems kinda high. Are we missing something here?

John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Hey John,

I know it seems kind of high but trully, it takes a LOT of work on behalf of the taxidermist to mount small critters. Hours and hours to do a good job. I was kind of shocked too when I got my price quote too but decided to go ahead with it. Best money I spent and my best mount for my camp, folks will truly appreciate it. I posted photos on the trapping forum, check them out work was done by Mark at Double Shovel a site sponsor here. You will find that especially on small animals work done especially by discount folks is terrible on marten type animals. I have a client I met up with in the river and he was disgusted by his mount at a discunt place. Food for thought.

Pay the $, the munts are incredible.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Having dabbled in taxidermy myself, I can say it is a lot of work. Add shipping and hazmat fees to Alaska for materials and it adds up quick. Don't forget the tanning as well. That sounds like a fair price to me. I know I won't be volunteering to do anymore. Took me many hours to do this one and I still needed help with the sewing.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Humble is one thing but you are full of it. That looks great!

I will second the "pay the price thing" makes all the difference in the world.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I've always taken my taxidermy to the same guy. He charges almost the same for a shoulder mount deer as he does for a squirrel. I don't do squirrels. I would do a marten though. Save your dough and go for it.

Contact Steve Huffman at Huffman Mammal Taxidermy Studios in Colorado.
    http://www.huffmantaxidermy.com/taxi...algallery.html

He specializes in small mammals and does great work. I had him do a marten for me and it turned out great. Granted, it was the better part of a decade ago, but it was $250 all told with shipping back to me. I just shipped him the frozen marten with UPS 2-day and it worked out great. His prices have likely gone up, same as everyone else, in recent years. But I'd still check with him. If I wanted to get another small critter mounted, he'd be the first guy I talked to.

The marten is in my dad's game room down in WY, so this is the best pic I have handy.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Smile

Thanks for the help!

I just had a tough time wrapping my mind around the fact that a marten mount could be almost half the cost of a 60in shoulder mount bull moose or a good sized black bear rug. I guess the smaller more detailed things take up more time than I imagined. I guess it is true that size doesn't always count.

Chinese proverb

JC,

It's too late now if you've already skinned it (and fyi, the taxis I know prefer dorsal skinning for marten that are to be mounted), but in the future you might check with the taxis that offer freeze-drying services. They use that a lot for pets, no form required, I've seen a few marten done that way and they are real slick. Should be cheaper too, but not sure.

Google for more info or check taxidermy.net

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    JC,

It's too late now if you've already skinned it (and fyi, the taxis I know prefer dorsal skinning for marten that are to be mounted), but in the future you might check with the taxis that offer freeze-drying services. They use that a lot for pets, no form required, I've seen a few marten done that way and they are real slick. Should be cheaper too, but not sure.

Google for more info or check taxidermy.net
    Thanks Mark, I will check into that. I'm sure there will be other matens in my buddies future when trapping season opens up again. One of our other friends got a huge one this year that he referrs to as his Boone and Crockett maten.

Chinese proverb

Check out the averages for Marten at the NAFA auction just recently held. Maybe your bud should sell it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Since I ran a taxidermy studio before I moved up here I will give you a break down.

Marten form $30
    Eyes $6
    Tanning $11
    My Base $15
    Shipping $15
    Then add in shop overhead like Electric,rent,Ins...Ect
    The total time from start to finish over a period of a few weeks 12 hrs

I always told my customers if they could bring them in whole ,I did dorsal cuts on Coyotes,Fox and almost and small game animals and some deer. This pose was my best seller that people wanted for Marten

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

There is a market for "cheap" taxidermy, just as there is a market for "cheap" wine, "cheap" boots, "cheap" binoculars, etc. For my part, I've no interest in "cheap" anything, least of all taxidermy. I cannot afford competition level work for everything I mount, but saving a few $ on taxidermy seems to be a poor way to immortalize the hunt and the animal. YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The sad truth about taxidermy is that the only people it has significant value to is the taxidermist and the trapper/hunter. In a few years the mount will worn and when you're gone none of the family will want it. Look on the auction sites, tons of beautiful trophies for pennies on the dollar.

What I would do is tan the hide and get something useful made, buy a stuffed martin online, and use the rest of the money to buy a firearm your sons or daughters will cherish after you're gone.
    I have a friend who's father was a big game hunter in the 40's. I'm talking big 5, tiger, plus big bears. She virtually gave away some of the trophies....she kept the tiger rug, leopard and elephant ivory, but really who wants a used buffalo head?

Just some practical thoughts on the issue...flame away.

I would also recommend Mark at Double Shovel. I have seen a mount he did where he skinned a mouse to use on a fox mount. Very creative and it looked excellent.

257wby,
    After reading the forum for a few years, I figured i had read everything many times over......
    Your post "luck 13", above, is the first time anybody has ever written/said this......interesting, thought provoking........a little sad....(should be its own thread)....
    no flames........denni

Where the art of taxidermy has always been huge is for museums and wildlife displays, and those mounts are seen and appreciated by hundreds of thousands of people and that won't change. And believe it or not, more and more people who don't hunt and don't typically appreciate trophy room type stuff are having their dead pets mounted (that is where the freeze-drying method is really big). Who'd a thunk it.

It's interesting really, I have many friends who have various mounts in their homes, and have been there with other friends and family who weren't hunters and were put off by them. But you find those same people immersed in the mounts at museums and airports, since it isn't as individualized, they don't know the "hunter" and so the mount is just perceived differently, and appreciated.

Hey Roger, thanks for the pics, nice work, but I ain't never seen a marten in that pose...didn't think they ever laid down like that with a smile on their face <grin>?

Mark - they don't smile when you're shooting at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Mark - they don't smile when you're shooting at them!
    Or when they are in your trap!

2 really large, or 3 medium small, marten make a beautiful fur hat. Warm too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Where the art of taxidermy has always been huge is for museums and wildlife displays, and those mounts are seen and appreciated by hundreds of thousands of people and that won't change. And believe it or not, more and more people who don't hunt and don't typically appreciate trophy room type stuff are having their dead pets mounted (that is where the freeze-drying method is really big). Who'd a thunk it.

It's interesting really, I have many friends who have various mounts in their homes, and have been there with other friends and family who weren't hunters and were put off by them. But you find those same people immersed in the mounts at museums and airports, since it isn't as individualized, they don't know the "hunter" and so the mount is just perceived differently, and appreciated.

Hey Roger, thanks for the pics, nice work, but I ain't never seen a marten in that pose...didn't think they ever laid down like that with a smile on their face <grin>?
    Bushrat - I have to agree with your comments with respect to how people view mounts in museums vs. homes. I have seen friends exhibit the same behavior in my home. I have watched as these same individuals stood for long periods of time truly studying the animal on a wall in the local library. The tophies mounted in my home represent a treasure of hunting memories. I suppose after I am gone it won't matter where they land. But it would be nice for them to be on display somewhere where they could be of interest. I do not think I could mount my favorite pet but that is just me.
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4] but I ain't never seen a marten in that pose...
    Hey Mark that's because the ones you see are swinging from the tree in a conibear LOL!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast