Thread: Winch fair lead roller question....

Default Winch fair lead roller question....

I keep breaking my synthetic rope on the winch. It's breaking right where the bottom roller is on the fair lead since I'm using it to plow snow. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to keep it from breaking other than going back to a wire rope. When I use it, it breaks, I cut the broken piece off and just tie a Bowline knot in it and start again. Yesterday, it broke 6 times. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    H
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Roller fairleads with synthetic line are a big no no.

http://www.winchline.com/fairleads.html

http://winchline.com/cut-winchline.html

I may have a hawse style around if you don't have one.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

If you used the fairlead for a cable previously there are probably burrs on the roller that are cutting the synthetic. I have a roller fairlead and switched to synthetic when our wheeler was brand new and its done well over the last two seasons of plowing. It hasn't broken yet and doesn't look all that worn.

try using a flat strap, such as off a rachtet strap. tie it on to your synthetic or pull the synthitic off & use. also switch to a your fairlead out. electricians used to use a flat white woven strap to pull wire through conduit, if you can find some get your hands on it, crap is strong, cheap & makes good tow straps too..

Quote Originally Posted by hbons View Post
    If you used the fairlead for a cable previously there are probably burrs on the roller that are cutting the synthetic.
    It came with a synthetic rope. dirtofak, I checked those pages. Very informative. Thanks! I guess I need to get one the hawse style fairleads. The rope has worked fine pulling out of mud or ruts or winching other people out as long as the line is straight out. That angle from the bottom roller is whats doing it. I'll try the hawse style fairlead.

Thanks guys,
    H
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

problem with synthetic and plowing is that your rubbing in the same spot on your line over and over and over. Burrs on the rollers or not it is going to wear out our line. go with the strap idea or get a "plow" synthetic line it's only 10 ft long and alittle thicker to handle the constant rubbing. I plow with my argo and i mean alot of plowing and I run synthetic on my winch. went through the breaking all the time and switched to a 20' nylone 2" strap and have had lots of luck using that.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!