Thread: Looking for some winter hiking

Smile Looking for some winter hiking

My husband and I are wondering where some great winter hiking may be. Nothing extremely hard but we have good ice cleats and snowshoes we just don't really know of all the good places to go. Went to Portage Glacier a couple weekends ago and had a blast! Hoping to make some more great Alaskan winter memories

Thanks in advance!

Arctic Valley. Park at the ski area and walk from there.

Gull Rock Trail.............

Do you want to gain elevation, or are you looking for meandering trails down in the trees?

With snowshoes, you can easily hike on any of the backcountry ski trails in Chugach State Park. Head out from Glen Alps and you can hike the Powerline Trail, or any of the side trails leading to Williwaw Valley, down toward the Prospect Heights trail head, etc. Lots of possibilities. Or on the Kenai you can hike on the Johnson Pass trail, the Resurrection Pass trail out of Hope or Cooper Landing, etc. Have fun- no bears or bugs to worry about!

I just say go to the popular places near town, and you'll rarely have to deal with breaking trail through deep snow (this is a big reason why I miss living in southcentral). Glen Alps, Prospect Heights, Eagle River, Hatcher Pass, etc. Better yet, just poke around all the summer trailheads that you can get to and see if other users have beat in an established trail. If so, go! The one thing to be aware of is that skiers DO NOT appreciate it when snowshoers mess up their groomed tracks! It's always a good idea to educate yourself about how to recognize avalanche terrain, and the basics of determining snow conditions.

All the Anchorage hillside trails are snowpacked and routinely hiked and skied every day. simply go to either Glen Alps parking area or Upper Huffman parking area and hike as far as you may want. Dont forget to pay the $5 parking fee, or geta 2011 pass at REI for $40.
    Bring your X-Country skies, snow shoes, or just hike in warm boots. I can catch more sun by hiking out of Upper Huffman......
    Hope this helps some....dennis

I'd suggest Arctic Valley, Eagle River Nature Center (little elevation gain), and Hatcher Pass as a few good ones to start with.

The Potter Section House trail is awesome. Start and finish where you like, Beluga Point, McHugh Creek. Another good one is Indian Valley,turn at the resturant before the bridge to get to the trail head.

Fantastic meander, best weather, mountain views, wetland views, wildlife, walkable - Rippy Trail in the KRPUA