Thread: Scent control for Bear hunts?

Default Scent control for Bear hunts?

I'm wondering what I should use. Any suggestions? I've used the deoderant and the spray on earth scent in the past, but am willing to try anything that will give me a little edge.
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Default Bug Dope

Use your favorite bug dope. Ya, seriously. A couple of drops near the food each time you replenish the bait. Then when you are in the stand they will be used to it.

Or, a mixture or anize oil and almond exract in a spray bottle. Spray your feet going in and the trail you walk in on, anything you touch. Then a little touch-up near the tree stand when you go in.

Bears, unless they are in a populated area probably do not even know what a man smells like. Most of the time I use nothing.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Use your favorite bug dope. Ya, seriously. A couple of drops near the food each time you replenish the bait. Then when you are in the stand they will be used to it.

Or, a mixture or anize oil and almond exract in a spray bottle. Spray your feet going in and the trail you walk in on, anything you touch. Then a little touch-up near the tree stand when you go in.

Bears, unless they are in a populated area probably do not even know what a man smells like. Most of the time I use nothing.
    Thanks Dave but I can't bait the brownies here on Kodiak. I've been winded by a few too. Was watching a Bore last summer, got within 150yds, he stuck his nose in the air for a second, look our way, and bolted. We weren't hunting bear at the time though...
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Default Browns

Did not know that you meant browns. Rifle hunting I do not think I would worry as you are probably going to be sweating up and down hill staying downwind.

If you are going to use a bow I would treat it the same as whitetails. Clothing in a good scent control soap, keep the clothes scent free, scent free deorderant. Wildlife Research has some good products as does Scent Away. Carrying a small spray bottle of 2-4 oz. in the pack is handy if you sweat too much. Orderless scents should be best. Smelling like fresh dirt or acorns are probably not best.;D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

i'll be honest, i've enver had a client try to use scent lok with bears or anything other garmet like that. but i really don't think it would work. those bears can tell whats inside a tin can, no way your gonna cover enough scent to make a difference. on the upside, sometimes bears really don't care that your there, i've had several right downwind at less than 100 yards, looking at me and then feeding. all depends on the bear and the moment, but treat them all like they'll freak.
    several hundred brownies are killed each year by guys who don't do anything about scent...and several hundred thousand deer as well...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Good point

Thanks Brwnbr!

One thing that I think helps, at least with Blacks, (I don't want anything to do with brown) is to change your diet for a couple of weeks before hunting season. Stay away from meat and strong vegies like onions. Then hit the Sauna every day. This will get rid of much of what makes you stink in the first place.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    One thing that I think helps, at least with Blacks, (I don't want anything to do with brown) is to change your diet for a couple of weeks before hunting season. Stay away from meat and strong vegies like onions. Then hit the Sauna every day. This will get rid of much of what makes you stink in the first place.
    Dan
    Yes I agree with this post. Gshep you stink!

Default nothing

About 75% of my hunting is for bears, and I've never used anything. For baiting, the bug dope idea is a good one. I leave a rag or old shirt in my stand and I soak it down with bug dope every time I'm there so that the smell is always around. For any other kind of bear hunting, just pay attention to the wind.

Default Another route

I think the best way to cover that stinky man scent is to get some Doe in Rut scent as is sold for whitetails....since bears don't read outdoor life, there's a chance they will just think it's a blacktail in need of some feminine hygiene products....then, spray on boots and drag rag and commence the hunt...walk into the wind and look behind you every 4 or 5 ....seconds. Should have no problem getting brownies will within knife range. Oh, take out large insurance policy before getting on plane.

Default Bears Sense of Smell

The acorn fell from the tree:
    - the eagle saw the acorn fall,
    - the deer heard the acorn fall,
    - the bear smelled the acorn fall!!

I don't think it is humanly possible to cover and/or mask your sent from a bear while in the field using any form of commercially available product normally used for hunting.

Wind and/or thermals in your favor are probably the best option.

GVA

Smile

Have any of you heard of smoking up,i've been hearing of folks that are using it for deer hunting with great results.stand next to a fire for 1/2 hour and head off to the hunting grounds....

Default skeeter spray

Found that black bears like the taste of bug spray. Left a can at my bait site last year and a black bear ate it to pieces. Guess he didn't like the skeeters either

Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    Found that black bears like the taste of bug spray. Left a can at my bait site last year and a black bear ate it to pieces. Guess he didn't like the skeeters either
    Yes, they do. They also love any aromatic stuff, from WD-40 to gasoline. In fact, bears are known for grabbing plastic fuel cans and running into the brush with them, or at least poking their teeth thorough.

It's possible that if a bear that comes into the campsite, catches the smell of gasoline or any other other smell it's not familiar with, and then finds some food to eat, the bear can associate the smell of gasoline with food for the rest of its life.

Default YES to smoking up.

Standing in the smoke of a good campfire is great. Smoke is a natural smell in the wild, any time of the year.

Or, you could toss a pound of bacon in your washing machine with all your hunting clothing, and dont worry about the bears not smelling you, this works great for all kinds of bears and other carnivores
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

rub your body in bacon greese/ salmon guts
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.