Thread: Honda or Yamaha ???

Default Honda or Yamaha ???

Not to start a brand war but I want to buy a 50 hp electric tiller to put on a small river boat.It will be a prop unit when purchased and a after market jet added later. Which one will give me the best performance and fuel economy with the jet? Thanks

I think they are close enough in performance that it's a toss up, both good motors and I'd be happy with either. As I recall the honda is a bit lighter weight. As I recall yammy's 50 is really a de-tuned 60, so if you aren't hp restricted, you might want to consider the yammy 60.

Talking

Well, personally I've got a 16' seaark jet tunnel and it has a 50 hp Tohatsu Tldi 2 stroke jet (electric start tilt and tiller operation) and prop on it. In a magazine article the tohatsu tldi got the best fuel economy among a group of 90hp outboards... and I can saw that it sips oil and doesn't smoke at all so you don't go home smelling. With a small boat and a 50hp jet you are looking at roughly 35 realistic hp driving the thing.

Weight is a huge issue since you loose so much power with the jet. Since you are looking at Honda or Yamaha I'd have to give a nod towards the Yamaha TWO Stroke which are still available... and they have a proven track record. If a dealer up north can't help you try
    www.rockysmarine.com in Petersburg AK and they have the two stroke yamahas.

Id go with the yamaha. Hondas are great prop motors. They are really not designed to run jet pumps. I know they will and do quite nicely. There heavy, thats my opinion. My yamaha 4 stroke weighs alot less than a honda of the same power. Both great motors though. That tohatsu is a good motor as well. Id go with lightest weight for a jet motor. IMHO

You can not go wrong with either motor. They are the top two selling motors and for good reason. I have twin yamaha's but would of just been as happy with Honda's
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Honda jet

I have a honda 50 jet on my 16 foot allweld. I am very pleased with it. It is not a good choice if you want to switch from prop to jet often. You might want to talk to your boat shop about this. As I understand it there is a gear or something that must also be changed. The yamaha it is as simple as swaping the lower unit.
    My allweld is a 16' by 56" wide. With the honda 50 jet it will do 28-30 mph on the gps with 2 guys and 2 fishing poles. If a third guy or much geer is added it drops speed pretty quick.
    If I had it to do over again I would go with a little bigger motor. It is impossible to have too much power with a jet. IMO.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default jet or prop

I have thought about switching from prop to jet and back with my rig(20'wooldridge) The more I look in it, the more things I would have to change to make either work right. Right now I am setup for jet, and it is set up right. To put the prop on, I would have to lower the motor so it won't cavitate. Then put it back up for the pro. So If I use a CMC lift that solves my up and down issues, but now I am 4-5 inches back.....not good for the jet. So what to do!?!?! Well probably sticking with the jet all the time, since i will need the jet 70-80% of the time.

Now going with a jet, YES go with the biggest you can!! I agree, there is never enough power with a jet. When I replace my main motor it will be the max the boat can handle.

I had a 17 ft Alaskan when I lived in SW Alasla and it had a 115 hp Evinrude that went prop/jet. It was set up by Wooldridge and had a aluminum skirt off the back of the boat so water went right to the foot. It had a CMC manuel lift on it also so a 5.5 setback. It worked perfectly. Prop in the spring high water and jet when the water got low towards the fall. With me and 50 gals of gas top up on a flat lake 50 plus mph with the prop and 35 plus mph jet. Set up IS everything!! Call them they know how to do it right.

Default Call dewies and check on

the T-50. I have two on my boat. but do not run jets. But i say the T-50 because they have the lower unit of the 75 horse. I push the same size props of the larger yamahas, actually rated for it and hondas can't touch em. But ask dewies and see if the T-50 will push a larger impeller like the 75, since the lower unit is that. never asked them but makes me wonder myself. The high thrust models are very impressive.

The lady at Deweys said a jet will not work on a T50. I had already ask her.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    I have thought about switching from prop to jet and back with my rig(20'wooldridge) The more I look in it, the more things I would have to change to make either work right. Right now I am setup for jet, and it is set up right. To put the prop on, I would have to lower the motor so it won't cavitate. Then put it back up for the pro. So If I use a CMC lift that solves my up and down issues, but now I am 4-5 inches back.....not good for the jet. So what to do!?!?! Well probably sticking with the jet all the time, since i will need the jet 70-80% of the time.

Now going with a jet, YES go with the biggest you can!! I agree, there is never enough power with a jet. When I replace my main motor it will be the max the boat can handle.
    Others who own Wooldrige boats report they order a longer shaft motor that has a removeable spacer and then have the jet set up mounted perfectly. Then they simply reinstall the spacer and the prop lower unit without having to remount the motor. This gives you a prop that runs about 1 1/2 inches higher than normal but certaintly acceptable, maybe more so for our rivers up here. If you did not originally purchase a long shaft motor with a removeable extension you can buy an extension kit from Bay company. This gives you the best of both worlds. Forum member Eggy has this set up on his Sport Drifter. I plan on doing the same thing when I decide which motor to install on my Alaskan II.
    Tennessee

We did not know about this in 1993?