Thread: Hodgdon "Leverevolution" Powder

Default Hodgdon "Leverevolution" Powder

Just wondering if any of you have tried this new powder, and whether you like it? It's the same powder they load commercially in some of the Hornady "Lever Revolution" ammo. They claim it produces higher velocities at lower maximum pressures.
    I'm gonna get a can and try it in my old 30-30...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Marshall

I have not yet tried any and have only seen it on the shelf one time. I bought the new Hodgdon reloading manual and there was a good write up on the powder. It seems from everything I've read claims 100-200 fps gain in the 30-30 over the other fastest powder which was BL-C(2).
    170gr Sie FN=2332 with LVR
    170gr Sie FN=2227 with BL-C(2)

One thing I found interesting was no data for the 45-70?

If you give it a try, keep us poseted on your results.

It is interesting to note that the Hodgdon data for the 30-30 170gr bullet uses MORE of this powder than the lighter 160gr bullet load. Goes to show that you can't always go by bullet weight alone, but that the bullet style itself makes a difference. I don't have the new Hodgdon manual, so can't make much comment on lack of data for the 45/70. My guess is this powder is probably too slow of burning to yield good results in the 45/70. (?) Leverevolution powder is listed as just a wee bit faster than H-380, so is a "medium" burning rate powder. (but slower than what is typically loaded in a 30-30). A clue is the (relatively) hefty charge of 36.3gr for the 170gr bullet...considerably more than the usual weight of, say, IMR 3031, 4198, H335, etc. I'd been using 29-30 grs of H335, but velocity was nothing to brag about...a load that was "ok", but nothing to get excited about.

Marshall/Ak

Each cartridge in the LE ammo has its own blend of powder. How ever the LV powder thats offered is the blend used in the 30-30win. Look at the barrel length used for the data, I think its 24" as is the 336XLR rifles have. You won't get that with a 20" barrel but I bet you will bet happy.

I have a 336D 55REM with a 18.5" ported barrel so I think I will stick to my H4895 loads that get me up to 2200fps in my gun. From what I have heard the LE 35rem ammo dose 2160fps in a 20" barreled 336. The 30-30 H4895 150gr load is 2390fps I think.

I' both fascinated and frustrated with the listed loads. I think it would be a real interesting powder for the 375 Winchester, but can't see them doing much with such an obsolete round. By the same token, they list really impressive velocities in the 25-35 with 75 grain bullets, but don't list a load for 117 grain bullets.

I'm still in wait-and-see mode before buying any.

I've talked with a couple of guys who talked directly to Hodgdon about this powder. They pretty much come out and say "This is not a powder to experiment with, if we didn't publish data for it, don't waste your time because we only endorse it for the loads we published" I din't get the impression that was a lawyer disclaimer, but rather stating that this powder was VERY specialized and would not likely yield results in other applications. We all know people are going to try (I may as well) but I am not going in to it with very high expectations.

A few observations, thus far, regarding "LVR" powder:
    This powder is a medium-grained "ball" powder, which meters nicely through most powder measures. I haven't had the time to chrono any of the loads yet, but did fire a couple test rounds of 30-30 loaded with 170gr Hornady flat-points and 35grs of this powder. Judging from case expansion and primer appearance (as compared to factory ammo), pressure seems to be relatively mild...on the low side. There was NO flattening of the primers...zip...nada...zilch. (CCI 200's) And the brass comes out of the chamber looking almost like they were never fired. Makes me wonder how can this be yielding higher velocities than other powders. (?) There was very little powder residue left in the bore, and almost none on the brass also...appears to be clean burning. I was at first a little apprehensive about loading to the specified 36.3grs, (because that's a bit more than the norm for 170gr bullets), so had decided to load just a few rounds with 35 grs and test-fire first. This powder seems, to me, to be on the slower-burning side of the range of powders normally loaded in a 30-30. If you load with the specified 36.3 grs (with 170gr bullets), then you will have just about 100% loading density, because the powder fills up the case right to the base of the bullet. Hope to chono some of the 36.3gr loads soon. If it yields the velocities they claim, I'll be using this powder a lot.

Marshall/Ak

Update 3/19/11
    Made a handful of 30/30 loads using new W-W brass, CCI 200 primers, Hornady 170gr bullet, and 36 grs of this new "LVR" powder. (0.3 grain under listed max) My first impression is that they are kinda "snappy" for a 30/30...noticeable muzzle bark. The average of 5 shots at 15 feet was 2234fps. Hodgdon advertises their top load of 36.3grs and a 170 Sierra bullet as averaging 2330-something fps, but I'm guessing they used a 24" bbl (mine is a 20" carbine), so the Hodgdon data is probably right on the money. I also agree with them that the 36.3gr load is tops, because fired brass expansion is about the same as factory-loaded W-W ammo, which I used for comparison. I was surprised to see pressure signs ramp up so fast though, from just a 1-gr increase. At the 35gr loading I did a few weeks ago there was hardly any signs of pressure at all, and then today at 36 grs it looks like one wouldn't want to proceed any further at all. In the interest of making my brass last longer I think I'll drop half a grain to 35.5 and call it good. My old loading of H335 (29 grs with 170gr bullet) gave only slightly over 2000fps, so this new powder does yield a significant velocity increase. This new LVR powder leaves a bit more "soot" in the barrel, but not to an extreme. (I've seen WAY worse: like 3031 in a 45/70, with 300gr bullets) (lots of unburned powder!) I'll probably stick with LVR next time I need powder for a 30/30, unless I happen to get one of the older powders dirt-cheap. I didn't test for accuracy...conditions were so windy I was lucky to keep all my shots on target.
    Oh....one more thing: load density is 100%....at either 35 or 36 grs the powder is slightly compressed.

Marshall/Ak

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    Update 3/19/11
    Made a handful of 30/30 loads using new W-W brass, CCI 200 primers, Hornady 170gr bullet, and 36 grs of this new "LVR" powder. (0.3 grain under listed max) My first impression is that they are kinda "snappy" for a 30/30...noticeable muzzle bark. The average of 5 shots at 15 feet was 2234fps. Hodgdon advertises their top load of 36.3grs and a 170 Sierra bullet as averaging 2330-something fps, but I'm guessing they used a 24" bbl (mine is a 20" carbine), so the Hodgdon data is probably right on the money. I also agree with them that the 36.3gr load is tops, because fired brass expansion is about the same as factory-loaded W-W ammo, which I used for comparison. I was surprised to see pressure signs ramp up so fast though, from just a 1-gr increase. At the 35gr loading I did a few weeks ago there was hardly any signs of pressure at all, and then today at 36 grs it looks like one wouldn't want to proceed any further at all. In the interest of making my brass last longer I think I'll drop half a grain to 35.5 and call it good. My old loading of H335 (29 grs with 170gr bullet) gave only slightly over 2000fps, so this new powder does yield a significant velocity increase. This new LVR powder leaves a bit more "soot" in the barrel, but not to an extreme. (I've seen WAY worse: like 3031 in a 45/70, with 300gr bullets) (lots of unburned powder!) I'll probably stick with LVR next time I need powder for a 30/30, unless I happen to get one of the older powders dirt-cheap. I didn't test for accuracy...conditions were so windy I was lucky to keep all my shots on target.
    Oh....one more thing: load density is 100%....at either 35 or 36 grs the powder is slightly compressed.

Marshall/Ak
    thanks for the report marshall; i am loading le powder for my marlin .338 express and was surprised that published figures didn't reach factory numbers ( at least in the manual ). it has been a rainy,snowy, windy spring which has stalled my field work....but i hope to report back soon.
    jh
    happy trails.
    jh