Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigging reels

Default Jigging reels

I am looking at getting some Avet two speed reels to try them out. One for rock fish, lings, and another for halibut. I have been looking on line and I have no idea what all of the numbers are for ( if I had to guess it would be for the size and retreval speeds) but i don't know. I have been to the local shops and the do not want to help me get what I am looking for they want to sell me what they would buy if they had the money. so I figured I would turn to the experts on here, I have benn watching and waiting for this subject to come up, because I do more reading on here then posting. So I figured I would just start one. I have fished with an Avet for a day for Lings and like how smooth it was and I liked the two speed feature, so I am leaning twards an Avet.

Thank you for your help and opions
    Moose

Default Do a Search On Here

This topic has recently been discussed at length as have the jigging reel and rod combination choices. Good luck.

I did a search and there is alot of information but not alot about Avet reels.....like what the letters and numbers mean and which models people think are the best two speeds.

I've been looking for the same and have settled on the JX two speed. I like the narrow arbor and the heavier drag. I'm looking for a lightweight jigging setup to use with rocks, ling, and halibut. It seems to fit the bill quite well. The letters are just their model names, nothing special. If you go to avet's site you can read the specs on the various reels. http://www.avetreels.net/index.html

As far as I know the numbers like 6/3 mean it has a 6:1 ratio for high speed and 3:1 ration for low speed. On a normal reel that is 6 turns of the drum for every turn of the handle and so on. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what the numbers on reels typically mean.

If you live in Anchorage go to B&Js. I've talked to them 3 or 4 different times, have yet to buy a rod/reel setup, and they've been great each time. They know me by site I've talked with them so much. I haven't bought anything yet as its alot of money for a rod and reel and I want to make sure I get what I'm looking for. I told them how I like to fish, what I'm looking for and they are trying their best to get me hooked up with what will make me happy. The main guy is definitely the best to talk to but normally they are all helpful.

I just picked up a couple of the single speed MXJs to use for rockfish and lings. I loaded them with 50# spectra. I usually fish in ~100 ft of water with 4 - 8 oz jigs. A lot of people would go for the SX for that kind of fishing and load the reel with 30# spectra, but I figured the bigger reel and heavier line would hold up better with the abuse that some of my friends inflict on my gear. All of my rods are glass, not graphite, for the same reason.

The standard width HX 2 speed would be my choice for halibut if I was fishing heavy, e.g. 2# - 3# sinker and/or deep. I would use 80# spectra on it.

Big_E

I think the single speeds are plenty sufficient for the rocks and lings. I have LX 6/3 and the 2 speed is really nice for anything over 40-50 lbs or so. The low gear really smooths out the retrieve. Another great option is the Avet SX 2 speed. The whole idea is not to get too heavy, or you won't want to jig very long. Might be a little light for larger 'buts.

Here is a sight that has both a blog dedicated to jigging and one to Avet reels, www.bloodydecks.com/forums Another site you could check out for posts on jigging reels, but it Gulf of Mexico primarily is http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/fo...play.php?f=103
    Lots of interesting reading on both these sites.

I just had a friend over and we were talking about reels and he asked of I had thought about a Accurate reels. He syayed that they are as good or better than Avet. Does anyone have any information about them?

Thank you
    Moose

Moose381, although I don't any personal experience w/ either of the Accurate or Avet jigging reels; have done a bit of research on lightweight yet extremely tight tolerance built reels & my final nod went to the Alutecnos Albacore single speed jigging reels. They are an Italian based company that's been building reels for offshore fishing, mainly big tuna, etc for years.

Check out the specs of the Alutecnos Gorilla 12 & 12C. http://www.alutecnos.it/page.php?sid...ageid=PHOME001

Accurates are good reels, but they require a lot more maintenance than many others, particularly Penn and Shimano. If you are willing to put in the effort and $$$ to maintain them, you have a reel that has 2X - 5X the max drag of a similar sized Penn or Shimano. Check out the Accuate 270. It looks like a salmon trolling reel, but can easily handle 200# halibut. It is a fishing buddy's favorite jigging reel. He has also caught some nice striped marlin and tuna with it.

Hey Kidless,

What's one of them itialian reels run for costs?

DarkPaladin,
    Too darn much; one can buy lots of beer & fuel for the cost of a few of them & once ya jig fish w/ em for a day or so,, next thing ya know the entire dam boat if full of them...... Be sure to setup your boat insurance w/ additional coverage for tackle - would NOT be a pretty site when / if one goes in the drink!

Tackledirect on the East coast is the vendor that I've used in the past: http://www.tackledirect.com/alutecnos-albacore-reels.html

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    Hey Kidless,

What's one of them itialian reels run for costs?

Default CharkBait.com in CA.

I bought an MXJ-MC from these guys and I was very pleased with the experience.

Go to the CharkBait website, read up on what they have to say on the Avet's, then give them a call. They were very helpful over the phone.

You will like their prices and their customer service.

Here's the thread I started on the subject a few months back...

Here's the quick and dirty - the letters will give you an indication of the size of the reel and the strength of the drag, the numbers reflect the retrieve ratio. The specs are on the website. The SX is the smallest, light drag, but still strong. MXJ is the next that I know of, it's basically a larger version of the SX, I think it has the same weight of drag but holds more line. JX and LX are the same drag, stronger than the SX, the LX is a wider spool for more line. HX is bigger still, then there are EX and EXW, with the EXW being wider. Very strong drag on the EX, I would not hesitate to use them for salmon sharks.

For jigging, I would recommend SX, MXJ, or JX/LX. I have several LX (both 6.0 and 4.6) and they are my go-to rigs for everything. Overkill for small rockfish, but still work. Great for halibut, lings, cod, etc. If you really want a strong, dedicated halibut reel, the HX would be a good choice. I don't really recommend the 2-speed only because I don't think you need it. I only have the EX-W in 2-speed, and never use the low speed. Save the money and buy another or a good light jigging rod.

I've been going to progressive smaller reels, as todays top reels have plenty of drag, and you need very little spool room for braided lines. The upside of these reels as they are much lighter than reels of old, and hence make for much more enjoyable fishing. Once you've fished a light jigging rod and reel, you'll never reach for your tuna stick again.

As far as two speed reels, I don't think they are necessary for jigging. I got a pair of shimano tld 20 II's, and the only time I've shifted them to the low speed is to reel up sinkers when fishing bait. When fishing with jigs, I've never found the need to shift down. To me 2 speeds are extra $ and weight but just aren't needed for jigging. You don't use the reel to winch up a fish, use the rod to lift the fish, crank to put line back on the reel. The only reason I can see for a two speed is if you go with a 6:1 on the high speed, but I have yet to find an advantage of going much faster than 4:1 on the high speed.

I'm planning on getting a pair of the avet JX 4.6:1 reels for my all purpose jigging rods, and will be getting an MXJ for a lighter jigging rod for my wife.

As far as line, I use 50 and 65# braid, the advice I've received is your line should be ~3 times the strength of your max drag, so for the JX w/ a 20# max drag, the 65# braid would be perfect. Remember drag is measured with a full spool, as the line comes off the reel, the drag increases. Also make sure you use a top shot of mono to connect to your jig, it adds abrasion resistance, gives you something to grap on w/o cutting your hand, and provides a little bit of give.

Thank you all for the replies and the help. This was great and I have learned alot and might be saving some money in the process.

Thank again
    Moose

Quote Originally Posted by jigreels View Post
    Shanghai Jigging Stuff Jigging Reels
    They look interesting, but are YOU involved with them commercially? If so, your post isn't really allowed since direct references to a business enterprise you are involved in isn't allowed.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Looks like an AVET with some kind of bling,bling handel ???? cliffhanger made the right choice , and bought from the right shop !! they have some killer deals on weekly specials , Ive got four of them , bought from charkbait , from the sx to the mxj , Im just a user and abuser of avet reels , and when it gets sent in for sevice (after I screwed it up ,on over sized yellow fin , or got sand in it) It goes to so Cal , and gets shipped back a.s.a.p

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    They look interesting, but are YOU involved with them commercially? If so, your post isn't really allowed since direct references to a business enterprise you are involved in isn't allowed.
    Those are knockoff's of the Jigging Master reels. They even copied the model names (i.e. PE3 and PE5). They even appear to have knockoff avet reel on their site as well.

Support the original manufacturers, not the ripoff artists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast