Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 280 set to go!

Default Rem 700 280 set to go!

Well, after 2 mos of trials, 6 diff powders, following the new bbl break ins recommended on here, putting in a new Timney trigger, I got'er shootin dimes!
    My original goal was to get it liken Nosler 140gn Accubonds - and they were not half bad as I was getting some 1 in groups - however in an effort to have a diff bullet as a gauge against the Accubonds I tried a Hornady 139gr and it just kept outperforming.
    IMR 4831 was always the most consistent with RL19 in second place...
    Anyway this AM I got out with some loads and adjusted seating depth and found my sweet spot! Had 4 diff loads under 1in and the best was a 3 shot .40 group. That's about as good as this old man can shoot and I am sooo happy! I wanted something close to 2900 FPS and ended up at 2910FPS!
    Oh, yes Kodiakrain these 4 loads were all neck sized only also!
    Thanks for all the inputs guys!
    100_2698.jpg100_2703.jpg
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

That is some fine shooting Smokey. Looks like you have a rifle with more than enough accuracy to do anything you need! Good looking rig to boot!

Good shooting and nice looking rifle. 270 Win. I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Good shooting and nice looking rifle. 270 Win. I assume?
    Matt, its a .280, shoots the same bullets a 7MM Mag would shoot - took the best qualities of a 7mm bullet and stuck it in the old 30-06 case pretty much. Its a real pleasure to shoot...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Man Smokey, between those groups, and even more, that Fine Looking Shootin' Machine,

I had a hard time closing out the pic attachment,
    could just keep staring at that rifle for a while....

What Fun, "The Way" to spend winter in my opinion, "Dialing It All In,"
    Appears you have a lot of different methods, working real well for ya

Good Work there, thanks for the pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Nice work all around Smokey.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

hi smokey! nice job on your shooting and load development.....it makes me want to join you. i like your rifle, the great remington cdl model 700.
    happy trails.
    jh

Hi Guys, thanks for all the kind words - it was fun and turned out better than I expected, but what I had hoped for. Been fighting some major health issues so this was a nice reprieve from all the hospitals lately for sure, and yesterday Drs started some meds that are looking promising and the loads all came together so for me it was a very great day!
    I really like the Rem700CDL, feels good like a mod 70 does for sure. Its a shame the new trigger had to go but it would not adjust more than 1/4 pound down from 4 to 3.75 and the adjustment screw stuck out and would touch your finger - unsafe and annoying!
    Your always welcome to drive down Piney, not that far away and I am sure we could find something fun to do - I have the range all set up on my property and you would be very welcome for sure! My father was from Stevens Point BTW...
    One thing that stood out was the more consistent the powder velocities the tighter all the loadings were - IMR4831 varied less than 20 FPS many times on as many as 10 rounds - glad I used the chrony...
    Hoping to hook up with Forum members EKC, and Phil, this year on a cpl hunts and try this puppy out on fur!
    Pic was a bit blurry - sorry about that as its a nice looking gun.. Great recoil pad BTW.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Smokey:
    That's fine accuracy, a fine cartridge, and a good lookin rifle.

I have a 280 Rem. myself. IMO, it's about the best cartridge there is.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sweet looking and shooting rig. Time to get into sheep shape since you got the rifle.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Smokey:
    That's fine accuracy, a fine cartridge, and a good lookin rifle.

I have a 280 Rem. myself. IMO, it's about the best cartridge there is.

Smitty of the North
    Hard to not like the 280 isn't it Smitty. Big enuff to tackle about 98% of game and yet won't put a knot on your head when ya "light the fire"!
    Don't say anything to EKC as he has a 270 and I couldn't bring myself to tell him around here we use 270's for noise makers at New Years and 4th of July - why everyone knows they ain't fit for hunting critters

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sweet looking and shooting rig. Time to get into sheep shape since you got the rifle.

Steve
    Hey Steve, been reading your haul rode post and licken my chops - I keep scratch-in those lotto tickets off in hopes of getting enuff to head up and do a hunt with ya - hopefully time will be kind to us and it will happen one day. In the mean time keep those great pic's and stories coming so I/We can all enjoy your travels!
    Randy
    Oh, round these parts when a man goes sheep huntin it has a whole nuther meaning - Yeek!

Congrats, Smokey. What a great outfit!

Just to enforce your choice of bullets, between me, my wife and my daughters no telling how many deer we've whacked with the 139 Hornady launched both by 284 Winchesters(2900 fps +/-) and 7x57's (2700 fps +/-). Never a single bullet failure, and I don't recall anything but one-shot kills. Given her druthers my wife would even use it for moose out of her 7x57, but for that I stoke her rifle with 160 Partitions and don't tell her the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Congrats, Smokey. What a great outfit!

Just to enforce your choice of bullets, between me, my wife and my daughters no telling how many deer we've whacked with the 139 Hornady launched both by 284 Winchesters(2900 fps +/-) and 7x57's (2700 fps +/-). Never a single bullet failure, and I don't recall anything but one-shot kills. Given her druthers my wife would even use it for moose out of her 7x57, but for that I stoke her rifle with 160 Partitions and don't tell her the difference.
    Thanks BrownBear for the inputs! I used these in a Ruger 77R in 280 I bought many moons ago - my first "Big Game " rifle and I still have it. Shot 3 bull elk and a few deer with the 139 and was very happy with the results. Luckily I had a box laying around and decided to keep the Accubonds honest by loading up a control load to check against it.
    Nice also that they are half the price of the Accubonds!

No kidding! When velocities are held below 3,000fps, lots of bullets put the lie to the need for super premium bullets, especially for non-dangerous game in North America. But a fad is a fad, and the American bullet manufacturers deserve to make a living just like everyone else.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Hard to not like the 280 isn't it Smitty. Big enuff to tackle about 98% of game and yet won't put a knot on your head when ya "light the fire"!
    Don't say anything to EKC as he has a 270 and I couldn't bring myself to tell him around here we use 270's for noise makers at New Years and 4th of July - why everyone knows they ain't fit for hunting critters
    I hafta agree. The 270 is soooo, "Yesterday", and the 280 is "Like Now".

I use 160 grain boolits in my 280.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I hafta agree. The 270 is soooo, "Yesterday", and the 280 is "Like Now".

I use 160 grain boolits in my 280.

Smitty of the North
    Yeah, because these cocky animals we shoot these days had gotten a little too comfortable with .277 bullets so it takes that extra .007 (seven THOUSANDTH'S) to REALLY knock them down. You 7mm guys crack me up. But somehow the same guys often seem to make the opposite argument singing the praises of .338 over .358. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Yeah, because these cocky animals we shoot these days had gotten a little too comfortable with .277 bullets so it takes that extra .007 (seven THOUSANDTH'S) to REALLY knock them down. You 7mm guys crack me up. But somehow the same guys often seem to make the opposite argument singing the praises of .338 over .358. Go figure.
    LOL all in fun jest Evandailey! Wouldn't be right if we all wanted to ask the same girl to the dance would it???
    My favorite gun is always the one I have in my hand whenever I get a chance to go hunting for sure - no matter what the caliber!

Smitty, I have always liked the Hornady 154 but not had a chance to use it much... It has a great BC

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    LOL all in fun jest Evandailey! Wouldn't be right if we all wanted to ask the same girl to the dance would it???
    My favorite gun is always the one I have in my hand whenever I get a chance to go hunting for sure - no matter what the caliber!

I know you're all joking, and I was as well. But it does seem like some people talk out of both sides of their face in some of these arguments. You've got a great set-up there Smokey, but I'll have to be in EKC's camp and stick with the ol' .270! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I know you're all joking, and I was as well. But it does seem like some people talk out of both sides of their face in some of these arguments. You've got a great set-up there Smokey, but I'll have to be in EKC's camp and stick with the ol' .270! ;-)
    No doubt the 270 has slain its fair share of game and is a great caliber, if I didn't have 280's I am sure I would have a 270 to play with!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast