Thread: which scope on 45-70 Leupold or Leupold?

Default which scope on 45-70 Leupold or Leupold?

I'm trying to save as much as I can getting ready for spring bear coming up, but with that said I'm wanting to put a scope on my 45-70 guide gun. Looking at two scopes, both Leupold. The first is the VX-II 1-4x20 Rifle scope for 299.99 or the VXI 1-4x20 shotgun scope for 199.99. The shot gun scope has a 75 yard parallex and I'm not quite sure what that means. I guess I look at this like they are both Leupolds so they are both going to be good scopes, why not save the $100? (both scopes are from Cabelas)

What do you guys think?

thanks

Side Note:
    New Bear Season Costs -
    -Double 15' Tree Stand $230
    -trail Camera $180
    -bait barrels/chain/locks $75
    -907 special baits $60
    -45-70 430gr loads $60
    -scope mounts $50
    -Leupold scope ???

If your on a stand and will likely have close shots why not just go Iron Sights? Just my thoughts as I don't see much of a need for a scope out to 75 yds with that cannon! I do agree though that saving $100 would sound like the right choice for what you want if not going Iron sights.

You're on the right track.

The 75 yard parallax means the shotgun scope is focused at 75 yards to eliminate errors of parallax. It's not adjustable. The VX-II would, I believe, be adjusted to eliminate parallax at @100 yds. I'd personally go with the VX-II. I've made shots at 100 yds with my .45-70s. I like the extra focus range. But YMMV and everyone has his/her own preferences.

But, if you are using it solely or primarily to hunt over bait it probably won't matter. You'll be well under 75 yards anyway. I have no experience with the Leupold shotgun scopes so don't know how well they'd hold up on a rifle. Others may have direct experience.

Good luck.

Go with the VX-II. I have an older 1.5x5 on my 45-70 and really like it. Why limit yourself with the shotgun scope? You never know when you might want to use it on moose and other large game.

In case you are unaware, Leupold and Burris make a "scout" scope that will work if you desire some extended eye relief . They are available at various outlets. Here is an example http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#sco..._1-2-4_8-16-32

Ditto on the VxII I have that scope on my guide gun and routinely shoot to 200 yds.

No scope. No need to shoot out beyond 100 yards. Either get with WWG or pick up the peep sight and you'll be set.
    Tony

I put a scope on my 45-70 for one main reason: I have to wear reading glasses for close up and so the rear sight on iron sites is blurry! And, I can't wear reading glasses to hunt, as that makes the target blurry Second reason is that I like to be precise when I can...and with my setup I was able to shoot a moose quartered to me at 85 years precisely just behind the jawbone and below the ear, and it dropped in it's tracks.

I have the Leupold 1-4 power VX-II scope. My son does all my equipment research for me, and he gave me a bunch of reasons why he thought Leupold took a surprising big step down with the VX-I, and there were some specific reasons why that shotgun scope wouldn't work well on a rifle, so I spent the extra money. I used to buy cheap scopes and they went off-sight during the season, never knew if I could depend on them. I have several Leupold VXII's and one VXIII and they are all great, completely dependable, and even though I recheck them every season, especially since I often change loads, they stay right on target all season long even after rough riding on a 4-wheeler and me packing the guns all over the mountains...and falling down a few times too.

I haven't heard of a 430 gr factory load in the 45-70, so perhaps you are shooting reloads you or someone else did, so they are probably great loads. If you have a newer gun, and you ever think you might want to get out over 100 yards, and up to 200, you might consider the Hornady Leverevolution, they are only 325 grain, with a soft pointed polymer tip so they can go in a tubular magazine, but pack a whallop due to much greater muzzle speed than other factory loads and the pointed tip giving them good ballistics. Sure took care of that moose, and while some gun nuts have told me the bullets don't hold up, this one had perfect expansion and stayed 100% intact when it blew the spine on that moose.

But, even the old Remington 405 gr slow bullets designed for older guns are fine for black bears over bait!

I have this one on my guide gun. I've had no problem hitting out to 200 yards with it.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...fle-scope.html

I will say that at bait stand range, irons would be fine.

Love this rig and when it goes BOOM they tend to drop right there. I'm sure as soon as you get one down all that money spent will be the last thing on your mind.

TAXIDERMY is more expensive than a scope anyway.

I have POed my wife rifle and scope shopping this week. Misery loves company, so.....spend, brother spend.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great info guys! Yes I have looked at Leupolds scout model and REALLY like it but dont like the price of $399 or $449. I have several leupolds that I love from the Rifleman to the V-III 6.5-20x50 on my 7mm, I would like to pay less for say a Buris or other brand but I just wouldn't feel confortable in the field. I also want a scope because like stated below I want to be able to take a moose if I want to at a little farther away and or just be able to make a 4 leaf clover with my lead. I posted info on my loads below, they are smackers! Data show they hold a nice 3 shot 1.25" group, great for a 45 caliber.

Buffalo Bore loads their ammunition up to maximum SAAMI specifications, which delivers devastating performance on a wide range of game. Please note that this ammunition is not intended for older guns. It is made for modern firearms only, as some of the ammunition could damage older and weaker firearms. Intended for use in Marlin 1895 made since 1972, Browning 1885, 1886, New England Arms Handi-Rifle, Ruger #1, #3, T/C Encore, Shiloh, Christian, Petersoli Sharps, New Production Winchester 1886. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information Caliber: 45-70 Government +P
    Bullet Weight: 430 Grains
    Bullet Style: Lead Long Flat Nose
    Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 1925 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 3537 ft. lbs.

I have that shotgun scope on my GG. I like it real well and have not had any problems with mine. There is no problem seeing the target at 100+ yds with the 75yd parellax, I can even see things well at 150yds.

Matt

i have the 1X4 vxll on my guide gun and have made one shot kills on elk the last three years. the range? 248yds, 217yds, and 200yds.

load consistancy and practice at ranges you intend to shoot will help with your hunt. be sure to do range work with shooting positions similar to your conditions.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Great info guys! Yes I have looked at Leupolds scout model and REALLY like it but dont like the price of $399 or $449.
    The one in the link above is $299.00 with free shipping. My guidegun was setup by Wildwest guns in Anchorage. Might give them a call and ask what they recommend. They have a tremendous amount of experience with these guns and sell a bunch.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Since we are on this subject and I have been considering the mounting a scope on my 45-70SBL, I will ask this; Of those of you who have a scout scope setup, how do you like or compare the speed at which you aquire a sight picture vs. a XS ghost ring setup (or other iron sight) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I'm trying to save as much as I can getting ready for spring bear coming up, but with that said I'm wanting to put a scope on my 45-70 guide gun. Looking at two scopes, both Leupold. The first is the VX-II 1-4x20 Rifle scope for 299.99 or the VXI 1-4x20 shotgun scope for 199.99. The shot gun scope has a 75 yard parallex and I'm not quite sure what that means. I guess I look at this like they are both Leupolds so they are both going to be good scopes, why not save the $100? (both scopes are from Cabelas)

What do you guys think?

thanks
    From the sound of your post you'll be as well served with one Leupold 1-4x20 as another. As for your question concerning parallax, this is a pretty good link for a succinct definition. When hunting from a stand I cannot think of a scenario (outside of driving rain) where a scope is not a positive attribute when hunting from a stand. Iron sights are sufficient in most cases, but a scope can be a real bonus IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Since we are on this subject and I have been considering the mounting a scope on my 45-70SBL, I will ask this; Of those of you who have a scout scope setup, how do you like or compare the speed at which you aquire a sight picture vs. a XS ghost ring setup (or other iron sight) ?
    It's fast and accurate. It is more precise than a ghost ring and faster than a traditional scope IMO. Having said that, I am almost certainly going to part ways with my scout scope; I hardly ever carry that rifle when equipped with the scope.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I had a similar situation years ago as the original poster's question. I had a Leupold 1 x 4 shotgun scope that I wanted to mount to a Ruger #3 chambered in 45-70, but was concerned that I needed the rifle version of that scope. I wrote to Leupold to ask their opinion. Customer service staff at Leupold told me the shotgun scope would be just fine in that application. They were correct. The scope works just fine for that caliber and has taken game out to 165 yards thus far. In fact as I recall the answer given by the Leupold staff he lead me to beleive it was pretty much the same scope marketed to two different types of target groups, i.e. shotgunners and riflemen. They slap a shotgun model number on the same product and increase their targeted sales clientel.

As for using a scope at modest ranges those of us (45 + years old) whom are experiencing a loss of eyesight for reading sometimes have trouble in low light seeing iron sights. I find my "Old eyes" are annoying for mechanical work, reading and shooting, since it seams like my arms are just not long enought to bring things into focus lately.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

I took the Vortex SPARC and mounted it on my 45-70 for grins and I was majorly happy. Nothing like having a red dot and shooting with both eyes open in low light situations. Clamps right on my Weaver style bases and comes off in second if need be.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have shot several bears over bait and never had a situation where I felt a scope was a bad thing - I have had a cpl times where I wished I had a scope on as I shot a bear with my Marlin 1895XLR 4570 with open sites just for fun and had to pass one the night before cause it came in a little late and with open sites I just could not focus on that black blur in the dark settings.
    Aging is right on - at 50 we average loosing minimum of 15% of our eyesite and its the part we need in the darkness that goes first...
    Whatever you choose get the one you really want - I learned long time ago to find a way to poney up and buy what I wanted or I would regret it later and either not use the gun because I was not happy with it or end up buying what I wanted and eating the first purchase...
    Like Steve said, go for it - once ya got momma mad already you might as well make yourself happy!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    In case you are unaware, Leupold and Burris make a "scout" scope that will work if you desire some extended eye relief . They are available at various outlets. Here is an example http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#sco..._1-2-4_8-16-32
    +1 on the scout scope. 2.5 power, FX-II scout scope with extended eye relief.