Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brilliant, yet not surprising. "Gold Rush"

Default Brilliant, yet not surprising. "Gold Rush"

Check out this article http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ys/?test=faces on "Gold Rush" about a bear shooting.

I thought they shot the bear because they wanted bear tacos thats a good enough excuse for me

bearito mmmmmm......

What do you think? a "phony confrontation" with the wild in order to boost ratings? Kinda sounds like it.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    What do you think? a "phony confrontation" with the wild in order to boost ratings? Kinda sounds like it.

Norm
    I have no doubt, if "reality" shows are truely reality, they would bore the hell out of everyone who watched them. Contrivence is the is grease for the machine.

The bear did nothing to die for....except boost TV ratings.

completely legal harvest of bear.
    so what....hope they eat it with gusto!
    if not eaten, then at least one person will have a first class sleeping pad.

Default important details missing

The article left me wondering if he was using buckshot or slugs? What did the bear square? Skull size? How did he taste?

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    I do not think anyone here is/has questioned the legality of the event as portrayed. The reason I posted it was to point out what I think is a contrived- perceived possible threat (apparently created by careless behavior), and it's dubious resolution all in order to add drama and pique interest in a so called "reality" show.

I haven't watched much of this show, and I don't think I have seen them do anything smart. Seems like one stupid move after another. Sounds like their killing of the bear was legal though, so why the fuss???

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Check out this article http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ys/?test=faces on "Gold Rush" about a bear shooting.

I need more drama in our outdoor show to boost our credibility among you viewers...who want's to wear a camo bikini w/hip boots sporting a beard while hunting bear eating left out crackers OH...you must not live in Alaska, only pretend to be one
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

338wm - One thought to keep in mind is while it protrayed things one way, it very well could be another. They faced money problems and feeding alot of workers. The bear would have gone a long way in feeding that crowd. Yes it's TV and better reality than a bunch of people locked up living in the same house or a bunch of snooty house wives or two gay city guys running a Lama Farm!

My question would be, they lost money doing what they did, but how much money did they make from the show?

TDELARM - maybe you can give us some insight or thoughts on how that works and what it might be.

I will state that because we haven't been able to make the move yet, my DVR is set to record anything with alaska in the title or info line. I will take what ever I can get till we get there. I seems that the members of the forum that are residents are always more critical of the shows of alaska and many don't watch much except to poke fun. I'm not saying that you are wrong in any way but just stating fact.

The same idea goes with the fact that I'm a tattooist and many love and watch miami ink or LA ink. I don't watch them and really don't like them but at the same time apperciate their talent and success.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I thought it interesting that AK G&F felt the need to send the Gold Rush guys a letter telling them that the bear was taken legally but for some admin weinie filling out the land use permit incorrectly it might not have been, and the show over-dramatized the event. There seemed to be an ominous "we don't like you and have our eye on you" vibe to it.

A reality show contriving, orchestrating, and over-dramatizing events? There oughta be a law...

Got to give the producers credit, they took a bunch of guys ineptly digging a big hole in the ground and turned it into a gold mine. I'm thinking that it doesn't matter one bit how much gold they found, the entire crew will have more than enough cash to make it through winter just fine and go back up for season two. I'm thinking the neighbor that mines across the creek and the old coot that owns the claim got some cheddar out of the deal too...

The "Reality" these shows portray is not "Reality" at all. Problem is the mass's dont know that.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    338wm - One thought to keep in mind is while it protrayed things one way, it very well could be another. They faced money problems and feeding alot of workers. The bear would have gone a long way in feeding that crowd. Yes it's TV and better reality than a bunch of people locked up living in the same house or a bunch of snooty house wives or two gay city guys running a Lama Farm!

My question would be, they lost money doing what they did, but how much money did they make from the show?

TDELARM - maybe you can give us some insight or thoughts on how that works and what it might be.

I will state that because we haven't been able to make the move yet, my DVR is set to record anything with alaska in the title or info line. I will take what ever I can get till we get there. I seems that the members of the forum that are residents are always more critical of the shows of alaska and many don't watch much except to poke fun. I'm not saying that you are wrong in any way but just stating fact.

The same idea goes with the fact that I'm a tattooist and many love and watch miami ink or LA ink. I don't watch them and really don't like them but at the same time apperciate their talent and success.
    In my mind at least, I think the reason many Alaskans have little appreciation for such programs is the manner in which things are portrayed, overblown, disproportionate, over dramatic, ill-conceived and mis-represented. I can barely stomach much of what I have viewed, even shows produced by Alaskan agencies/people. The entertainment industry and special interest groups capitalize on the mystique which is Alaska, and the ignorance of people who have never experienced it, all in order to benefit monetarily (we all need to earn a living),or advance a politcal agenda often at the expense of the Alaskan way of life.

Heck it made the FRONT page of the ADN yesterday. It is definetely not what I consider to merrit 'front" page reporting. Reality newspaper, maybe?

In my mind at least, I think the reason many Alaskans have little appreciation for such programs is the manner in which things are portrayed, overblown, disproportionate, over dramatic, ill-conceived and mis-represented. I can barely stomach much of what I have viewed, even shows produced by Alaskan agencies/people. The entertainment industry and special interest groups capitalize on the mystique which is Alaska, and the ignorance of people who have never experienced it, all in order to benefit monetarily (we all need to earn a living),or advance a politcal agenda often at the expense of the Alaskan way of life.
    Nothing wrong w/running a business for profit, sadly I'm not there yet but I will be and when I am, I will have earned it the old fashion way. Blood, sweat, tears and hard labor. Alaskan's are opinionated for sure, me included. But seriously this is entertainment folks, its that simple. Enjoy it for what it is and don't sweat the small stuff. Or better yet, get out there and enjoy the very outdoors we're all watching on TeeVee.

I gotta ask you this, why do you think Alaska Outdoors Television has never been featured on ADN front page? Answer: because it lacks pretend drama, has always been available on local broadcast, and MOST IMPORTANTLY doesn't air on Discovery, Nat Geo or any # of entertainment channels hitting a broad audience. Instead it airs on a hunting channel which hits a VERY niche audience . BORING!

I'm hitting the IRON DOG trail for a week! Now that's an adventure and I'll make sure to poke around for new hunting/fishing adventures to film. Can't wait to see this thread in a week
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Just like the skiing show they did in Haines where the skiers gave up and the pro's finished the show with-out showing faces. I'm sure John stays intertained if no one else in Haines is plus extra money for town is good.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    Golly, thank you.

Must have been a slow news day.

"Bear Killed Unneccesarily"
    According to who? Guy had a tag and license. Big deal.

Guess the "fuss" makes good tv.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast