Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Check out this 500 Smith...

Default Check out this 500 Smith...

Someone must have done somethin wrong to cause this...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107378

Hope he was wearing his shooting glasses and Depends....

Lots of talk about detonation again.

Someone with a few bucks- like the powder manufacturers - needs to see what happens with a double charge and compare the results.

Gon does not appear to have seen shot much - look how clean the muzzle break and area around the front sight is - mine is heavily stained and it does not come off easy.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

HOLY CRAP that had to hurt

Wow, I would say so. Some hand loader must have got his powder mixed up or something? It would take some tremendous force to damage a revolver that strong I would think.

It would take a lot of force to do that kind of damage to a 500 smith .
    I reload for every firearm I have and I can not be safe enough . I usually triple check my powder loads and keep only
    one powder on the reloading table at a time including primers.
    Hope the fellow was not hurt.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Ouch that has to hurt! I wonder if anyone will ever find out what the cause was?

Ranger Rick I am with you about double and triple checking charges and only keeping one powder on the bench at a time. I made the mistake of having two bottles of reloader on the bench one time and ended up pulling a bunch of bullets just to be safe.

Holy Crap! I hope this guy is ok. I am very curious as to what caused this.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I seems no matter the power of a gun folks just feel the need to get more or they are very unlucky
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I seems no matter the power of a gun folks just feel the need to get more or they are very unlucky
    Will, that was actually the opposite of the search for more power. The owner used a load of 17 grs. titegroup with a 370 gr. cast bullet (light for the .500 Smith). Or at least he thought it was titegroup. Sometimes using too little powder can create dangerous pressures too. I'm a firm believer in Trailboss, and that is the only powder I use for light loads in several different calibers. It fills the case so there's no risk of double-charging. I hope the shooter still has his fingers intact.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Yep shooting downward with light loads and no filler do make for problems often
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Do you think he double change the case with diff powders inside the powder hopper and That is a not a pretty picture of the revolver..

yiiikes! i saw that happen using bullseye in a .45colt. light loads are dangerous in low bulk powder.......news that apparently hasn't been preached enough.

reloading isn't rocket science.....but it is science, and must be treated with respect. and knowledge.

i used to reload for "friends" using their brass, but don't anymore as am afraid of lawsuit.
    happy trails.
    jh

Ouch! Another good reason to let your wife test the new ammo first!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    yiiikes! i saw that happen using bullseye in a .45colt. light loads are dangerous in low bulk powder.......news that apparently hasn't been preached enough.

reloading isn't rocket science.....but it is science, and must be treated with respect. and knowledge.

i used to reload for "friends" using their brass, but don't anymore as am afraid of lawsuit.
    20 or so grains of Bullseye or Unique is what came to my mind, so easy to do and it gets stupid dangerous in any cartage size beyond 9g or so. I killed a 357 Blackhawk myself with two 5g charges of Bullseye years ago and have no doubt 20g would make an X-frame look about like that..
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm not sure why anyone wants to shoot light loads in a .500 S&W anyway. There is no place for light powder charges and/or light bullets in a 4" .500 S&W.

IMO -If one is too limp wristed or too big a wussy to enjoy shooting a real man's gun you need to sell it and get a Ruger or something else with much less recoil and power.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    20 or so grains of Bullseye or Unique is what came to my mind, so easy to do and it gets stupid dangerous in any cartage size beyond 9g or so. I killed a 357 Blackhawk myself with two 5g charges of Bullseye years ago and have no doubt 20g would make an X-frame look about like that..
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

"IMO -If one is too limp wristed or too big a wussy to enjoy shooting a real man's gun you need to sell it and get a Ruger or something else with much less recoil and power."

Jeez, how did this become a testosterone level contest? My wrists are just fine and I still have the set I was born with, but I like to put .44 Specials through my .44 mag and .38s through my .357. So, a "real man's gun" eh. Get a Ruger or something else that's a lesser gun? You really need to unlax, man. Maybe quit sprinkling gunpowder in your cereal. Wait, cereal is too unmanly. Maybe raw bacon and eggs swilled down with swamp water. There you go.

"Man plans and God laughs."

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    "IMO -If one is too limp wristed or too big a wussy to enjoy shooting a real man's gun you need to sell it and get a Ruger or something else with much less recoil and power."

Jeez, how did this become a testosterone level contest? My wrists are just fine and I still have the set I was born with, but I like to put .44 Specials through my .44 mag and .38s through my .357. So, a "real man's gun" eh. Get a Ruger or something else that's a lesser gun? You really need to unlax, man. Maybe quit sprinkling gunpowder in your cereal. Wait, cereal is too unmanly. Maybe raw bacon and eggs swilled down with swamp water. There you go.

"Man plans and God laughs."
    gentlemen; let's not denegrate this posting with a foodfight.......as it is a very real concern. it is important to stress the use of published data, and understand the dangers of mistakes. a forum like this may save a life.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone wants to shoot light loads in a .500 S&W anyway. There is no place for light powder charges and/or light bullets in a 4" .500 S&W.

IMO -If one is too limp wristed or too big a wussy to enjoy shooting a real man's gun you need to sell it and get a Ruger or something else with much less recoil and power.

I can asure you that a Ruger in 475L and a 500L or JRH produce a lot more felt recoil than a 500 S&W in the X-Frame

More nonsense from the whimsical

Default Apple sand oranges?

I can't find any of those in the Ruger catalog - are they normal Ruger production items or some super expensive custom jobs? Remember the 4" .500 X frame is a fairly common item now and are avalaible used in the $750 -$850 range.

If they are not production items it is hardly a valid comparison. I'm sure I can find someone to customize the X frame- perhaps with a titanium cylinder like the PD series and top anything that can put togther on a Ruger frame - you just can't top BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    I can asure you that a Ruger in 475L and a 500L or JRH produce a lot more felt recoil than a 500 S&W in the X-Frame

More nonsense from the whimsical

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast