Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Hunt - Water and weight

Default Weekend Hunt - Water and weight

Just curious what most folks do for drinking water on a weekend hunt. I start out with bottled water unless I'm going a few miles in ... then I use what mother nature provides. My question has to do with 'purification' ... it's not always easy to boil water (especially if you're on the move). There's some really good water bottles with filters on the market. What brand of water bottles or filtration system do you use to keep the weight at a minimum? I'd like to know who makes the best water filter (light weight system) these days.

I fill up a 100 oz bladder and put it into my backpack with a tube to my shoulder support.

I take a filter that connects to the tube - when I hit a creek or water source I fill up the bladder.

I also keep a 1 liter bottle (steel/aluminum) in my pack that, depending on where we are going, I fill up at some point - sometimes at home, sometimes on the trail, sometimes in camp.

My wife has the same setup but we only take 1 filter.

For backpacking I use a MSR Hyperflow, it is light and it adapts to a variety of water bottles to include plain Jane disposable water bottles.

For base camp and larger groups I use the Katadyn Base camp filter, fill it and let gravity do the rest.

I also use platypus water bladders for storage, light and compact when not in use.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

there is aplace where we hunt in every year......its a long rugged trail on foot and there is just the tiniest underground trickle of water way up at the top of the mountain, and it only has 1 spot where it pools up enough out of the ground to get to it....well we pack in water, like 2 gallons per guy, and everyone drops a gallon somewhere along the trail where it will be advantageous....could be a good strategy if your goin to place wheres theres no water like that spot.....its very frustrating when your way the hell up on a mountain with no water yet theres water all around you at the bottom of it

Release Lake Trout

I don't use a filter - I've found that up here (at least, where I've been), water tends to be clear and not very silty at all. For purification we use polar pure. It works perfectly and doesn't leave any taste.

After messing around with several types of filters I now just use bleach. The big playtypus bags already mentioned make it easy to do a bunch at a time.

I use all the systems mentioned above. but when I'm really thirsty, I just drink...water.

On long trips i always take a colapsible five gallon jug and fill it up when we get to camp with my katadyne filter I have the pump one and love it but the base camp one would be nice as Steve said just fill it and forget it. I am pretty happy with the pump model I can fill five gallons in 10-15 min and with a jug that size you only have to refill it once in a while.

I used to have the FIRST NEED brand filter but after using a friends Katadyne I went and purchased one now the first need just collects dust.

I carry bleach, purification tablets, filters ect.. It all depends on the type hunt and the weight that can be carried. I have even drank straight from a puddle. As someone that has experienced a Giardia infection, I can tell you for sure that I never want to have it again!!!! When you get thirsty enough you will drink whats available.

Steve
    Founding Member

Giardia.......I thought,..Once you have the parasite it stays with you?

I never take a filter anymore either.......just dont drink any water around North Pole or Fairbanks.

Iodine purification and neutralization tablets are the way to go. They are cheap, light, compact, and have served me well over the years. Some say they taint the flavor but I've found the neutralization tablets do a great job of recovering the flavor.

I've never used filters, only bleach. But the last two years I've rarely even used the bleach. I just drink straight from a stream that is free flowing and above beaver waters.

I have also drank straight from natural lakes and creeks. You make a good point about being 'upstream' of beaver dams. That beaver-fever will ruin a trip. I did get diarhea once while camping in Canada and it makes the trip awful. I drank straight from the lake ... I was soooo thirsty and couldn't wait to get back to camp and boil the water. I like the idea of tablets or a few ounces of bleach. The MSR hyperflow sounds like a great idea too.

Having caught an actual doctor document case of giardea from a stream above treeline far from any beavers, I pretty much always filter or purify. The only exception is springs that I actually can see where the water comes out of the rocks. I just pack along a Katadyn Hiker Pro and filter.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We have lots of streams so I use what mother nature gave me
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    For base camp and larger groups I use the Katadyn Base camp filter, fill it and let gravity do the rest.

Steve
    Hey Steve,

How does the Katadyn Base Camp filter hold up in silty water? Are there plugging issues and how difficult is it to clean?

Mitch
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Hey Steve,

How does the Katadyn Base Camp filter hold up in silty water? Are there plugging issues and how difficult is it to clean?

Mitch
    Silty water is hard on any filter. What I do is this,,, I use a coffee filter and wrap it around the filter and hold it in place with a rubber band. I also try to make a settling pond to let the silt settle out. I use a 5 gal bucket or a plastic lined hole. Dip up the silty water and let it sit over night when ever possible.

Steve
    Founding Member

Let'r settle and Boil it when in doubt, it's always Coffee Time!!

Love the wing strut recycle onthe tent poles, Stid Did you crash it yerself??~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Let'r settle and Boil it when in doubt, it's always Coffee Time!!

Love the wing strut recycle onthe tent poles, Stid Did you crash it yerself??~~LOL!!~~
    No, just using what was on hand. Way above the tree line on a ridge top.

Founding Member

I now use a MSR Miniworks EX and I also carry Katadyn chlorine dioxide tabs just in case.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast