Thread: Trip to Alpine Creek Feb 19-21

Default Trip to Alpine Creek Feb 19-21

I realize this is the 11th hour and all but...

I'm leading a group from the Anchorage Snowmobile Club out to Claude's place tomorrow. I had a couple of last minute cancellations and would like to extend an invitation to AOD members with machines and nothing to do this weekend.

I have room for 2(6*) more

Here are the catches
    --You need your own machine
    --You need to join the club ($25/yr single $35/yr fam) for liability insurance reasons. If you live in MatSu or if you ride mainly in Petersville you might want to consider joining the Curry Ridge Riders which is our "sister" club and a great, active organization.
    --If your machine prefers 91 octane you need to bring spare gas.

Rooms are $75 per person/night and all meals are included.

We are meeting at Miller's market in Houston tomorrow at 8:30 am for a head count then on up to Cantwell. If someone wanted to come down from north of Cantwell then we'd just meet at the parking area at 11:30

The "plan" is to be on the trail by noon and at the lodge by 2:30 or so. It's a 2 hour trip straight through but if the visibility is good I like to stop along the way and let folks take pictures, so 2.5 to 3 hours tops. We're coming back out on Monday. We'll depart the lodge at 9am.

I spoke to Claude yesterday and it was snowing so the Denali Highway should be in fantastic shape. The forecast for Saturday is partly cloudy so viz should be good.

* the Trapper Cabin holds 4 people and is unreserved. It has heat and electricity but no water. It's $99 a night for the 1st 2 people and an extra $25ea for a 3rd or 4th.

If Claude chimes in and changes anything I've posted then it's whatever he says.

Contact me either here or PM.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

You're killing me, Erik. I was planning to head up there this weekend for some climbing, skiing, and fox hunting, but it's just not going to happen. Thanks for sticking a fork in my eye.

glad to see not everyone is running up there to trap.....lol
    road is wind drifted bad just before gracious house, few other spots are like giant speed bumps for a while, be ready for that.
    wish i was going...got some unfinished business back up a few valleys with some unanswered powder...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Well, you missed out. A good time was had by all!

After a frustrating late start due to a blown trailer tire I got to Cantwell an hour and a half behind the rest of the crew. The ride in was a bit cold overall but mostly in the descent towards the Big Su bridge. I'd say it was around -10 at Cantwell and -20, maybe -25 at the bridge.

We whooped it up a bit Saturday night and slept in. Sunday, Jen loaded us up with coffee and calories in the morning and we followed Claude and Bob on their trap line below the lodge. They checked traps and we went and played in the waist to armpit deep powder on the lakes and ponds along the trail. Bob got another marten and few Camp Robber Jays. We got snow in our underwear (woo hoo!).

Around noon the skies cleared up and the riding got really good and we found a few ponds set further back from the trail where the snow was really deep. Powder over the hood all day is a good day.

Sunday night we were a bit more subdued, mainly because we're all varying degrees of middle aged and we were pretty sore from all that fun, but we did pass a bit of "therapy" around to take the edge off of the pain.

Monday the ride out was nice. The road is windblown and drifted in the usual places (Canyon Creek to just before Gracious House) but otherwise it's smooth and fast.

As always...great place, great people, good weather and a great time.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erik,
    Was good to meet you and the gang out at Alpine Creek. Thanks for letting us "non-members" tag along on the way out. I guess I'm going to have to join up eventually...
    It's always a good time out there.
    -chris

Talking Ya I know!

I am just glad I don't drive that far to rip powder!
    I hate to trailer when I can take a snowmachine there!
    There is 100 miles of it in all directions out of Willow!
    Claude! Your area is AWESOME!!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Thanks to Erik for putting that trip together! What a blast we had. Not sure if I enjoyed the 'therapy' or the riding more! Always a blast! Thanks Trail Boss! When are we going to put a trail up the Su to connect our places up?? Now that would be a ride!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Talking We are working on that!

Snow -Trac is working with Denali State Park planners right now on gettting a route thuogh the park and then maybe on to your area.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!