Thread: .270 winchester 140 Fail Safe Load data

Default .270 winchester 140 Fail Safe Load data

I recently found at a gun show 2 boxes of 140 fail safes and have decided to load these up in a nice little semi custom Zastava 98 with a 22" barrel. I am hoping to (and should) draw out for a cow shiras moose tag and want to use this combo for the hunt.

Does anyone have any load data or know were to find any for the fail safe? What should expected velocitys be in the 22" tube? This rifle shoots pretty good for what it is, so if I can find a good consistent load with a decent velocity that shoots 1-1.25" at a 100 yards I will more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post
    I recently found at a gun show 2 boxes of 140 fail safes and have decided to load these up in a nice little semi custom Zastava 98 with a 22" barrel. I am hoping to (and should) draw out for a cow shiras moose tag and want to use this combo for the hunt.

Does anyone have any load data or know were to find any for the fail safe? What should expected velocitys be in the 22" tube? This rifle shoots pretty good for what it is, so if I can find a good consistent load with a decent velocity that shoots 1-1.25" at a 100 yards I will more than happy.
    If it were my decision, I'd sell the Failsafe bullets online to a needy soul and spend the time and money developing a load with a different projectile. The amount of time and effort required to develop a load with a bullet that is no longer produced seems to me imprudent. I'm confident there are reloaders out there that have developed loads with the Failsafe that would love another couple boxes on their bench-maybe even trade for some 140 TSXs...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

i think the failsafe bullet is an excellent design, but too expensive to manufacture hence it's unavailability. using your reloading handbook it should be easy to load 57gr h4831 to produce approx 2900fps.

this should be ample for most (any) ungulates in the U.S.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If it were my decision, I'd sell the Failsafe bullets online to a needy soul and spend the time and money developing a load with a different projectile. The amount of time and effort required to develop a load with a bullet that is no longer produced seems to me imprudent. I'm confident there are reloaders out there that have developed loads with the Failsafe that would love another couple boxes on their bench-maybe even trade for some 140 TSXs...

If I find a good load, the guy had 10 more boxes which he said he has had for 2 years now...I could by 5-6 boxes of 50 bullets and that would serve out the lifetime of this rifle and probably beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post
    If I find a good load, the guy had 10 more boxes which he said he has had for 2 years now...I could by 5-6 boxes of 50 bullets and that would serve out the lifetime of this rifle and probably beyond.
    Well that puts a different perspective upon it. I'd use W-W cases (standard primers) and start with 54.0 grains of RL 22 and increase incrementally. OAL will dictate accuracy (closer to the lands will almost certainly be more accurate) and when you hit 2950 fps (with no other pressure signs) I'd call it good.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

An excellent bullet, sadly I don't have anything cooked up for the 270. I do however have one for a 7MM Rem and 160's. He doesn't happen to have any of those lying around does he?