Thread: Model 8 Remington strikes again!

Default Model 8 Remington strikes again!

This past year (2010) my old .35 Remington model 8 autoloader turned 100 years old. I had verified this by the serial #s listed in John Henwood's book "The Great Remington 8 and model 81 autoloading rifles". To sort of commemorate this I decided to go on a spring bear hunt (well,actually I had been itching for another bear hunt for quite some time anyway). By coincidence,I ended up staying in a 100 year old cabin--which I guess added something to the whole experience. I passed on some black bears before taking a nice one--not huge by any means at around 240 pounds--but a nice one though. When I fired,to my surprise--he took off like he was on fire...I fired a couple more wild shots as he as he tore away though the thick stuff. One hour until dark...I followed the blood trail for around 40 to 50 yards,near a small brook....I thought perhaps he had crossed...then noticed a small log which had fallen across the brook had a few drops of blood on it! I was starting to balance my self to cross the brook when I noticed the bear,mostly submerged in the murky water--flat on it's back in the brook! I had taken him a hair behind the front shoulder,through both lungs,with a 200 grain Remington Core Lokt. I had so much fun I plan to try for another bear this year with the 'ol rifle. Just got the mount back --it's a 3/4 open mouth mount in an aggressive pose--and turned out great! It was a fun hunt,knowing I was using a gun from a bygone era. The only scary side note was when I had to get some more ammo for it...had a hard time finding it--and then was $27 per box! But I guess the only ammo deals common these days are the 30-30,30-06,and a few other very popular calibers.Guess the good old days were just not as expensive.

Excellent!

If you decide to reload for it to ease the ammo situation, the Mod 8 35 Rem I owned a few decades back was really proud of IMR-3031 powder.

This thread needs pictures!!!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    This thread needs pictures!!!!!
    Ah,if only I were computer literate Maybe my wife,with her digital camera,cell phones,electronic book thing-a-ma-jig,etc...could show me how to post pics on here sometime. And thanks for the tip brown bear--there's lots of ammo available from a few other manufacturers actually--I just wanted the Remington brand and had a hard time finding them...... true--just as expensive though.

congrats on your bear! an interesting story with great memories ( i am sure ). as time permits read: judge folta, alaska's bear hunting judge. this is a true account of the model 8, 35 remington used on alaska's brown and grizzly bears. an interesting read and a testament to the killing power of the .358cal cartridge.

personally, i like h4895 & aa2015 as favorite powders in my .35 marlin. recently however i purchased the new hodgdon leverevolution powder, which should be an improvement .

good luck with your fine rifle.
    happy trails.
    jh

Its good to hear about your successful bear hunt and great mount hope you get another one with the ole 35! I have a Mod 8 in 30 Rem that was my grandfathers and I keep meaning to pull it out and see how she shoots. It has a Weaver K4 on it and is very clean looking.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Its good to hear about your successful bear hunt and great mount hope you get another one with the ole 35! I have a Mod 8 in 30 Rem that was my grandfathers and I keep meaning to pull it out and see how she shoots. It has a Weaver K4 on it and is very clean looking.
    In the reloading threads a guy just reported seeing two boxes of 30 Remington ammo at Sportsmans Warehouse. Surprised heck out of me! I expect to see it only in dusty corners of older sporting goods stores.

"as time permits read: judge folta, alaska's bear hunting judge. this is a true account of the model 8, 35 remington used on alaska's brown and grizzly bears. an interesting read and a testament to the killing power of the .358cal cartridge."
    I read that one--it was great! I bought it used on line for only $4. Judge Folta sounded like an interesting man and it made for a great read. And it sounds like he really showed what the .35 Rem is capable of. And Bronco--I'll bet that 'ol .30 Rem probably shoots great--I got incredible groups with my .35Rem at 100 yards--with open sights! You'd probably want to save your brass for that .30Rem. though.

I have two of the M 8s one in 30 and the other in 35. Rem must have made a run of 30 Rem recently as the ammo in SW was in new boxes. It shocked me to see it there. The gun show prices have been in the $50/60 range. The 200gr corelokt is perfect for the 35 and tends to kill well beyond what one would think by it's case size. John Browning was brilliant.

I will have to stop by Sportsmans and see if they have any left. Thanks for the tips guys!

I read the book about Judge Folta and was very impressed with it, he accomplished a lot during his time on this Earth and shot a lot of bears with the 35 Rem. I would have bought a better performing cartridge after some of his experiences.

You need to reload, 200gr CLRN are avalible in bulk at midwayusa cheap. Keep you loads for the model #8 at current listed levels. I realy like H4895 and load for a 336D up to 2200fps but find 2160fps as my rifle peak accuracy level which is 39.7grs. 40.0grs is 2188fps and 40.5grs is 2200fps. All from a 18.5" ported barrel. For a 20" barrel TAC is also great producing 2250fps at MAX +P loading.

Rem Case/Federal 210M Primer/39.7grs H4895/200gr Rem CLRN/ Moderate Lee FC Crimp

Default Got pics! .35 Rem bear hunt....

Well--with the help of my daughter (well,she did it all actually ), I was able to get a few pics on here. I had a rug made from a much larger bear one time--but it seemed to shrink a lot during the tanning/mounting process. I really like the 3/4 mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bear rug

The first photo shows the "shrunken" rug I mentioned in my last post--big head though.... this was a 400+ pounder. It's the only bear I did not shoot with my model 8,having taken him with my dad's Remington Model 740, 30-06.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool Bruce! My son has a half mount that really looks nice and makes an avg bear look bigger I think!
    Nice story - good job!
    Lucky that bear died with his head up on the stump like that!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....