Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bear bait

Default bear bait

I am planning to do some bear baiting this spring. I am signed up for a clinic in March but wanted to start stocking up on some bait. I am thinking of using dog food and honey, syrup or molasses. Several people have told me just about anything works... hmmm, ok... Any recommendations? I located a good spot last fall. Tons of sign, plenty of ways in for the hunter and the animal and just the right amount of cover. Could use a drum if anyone has one laying around tho.

Default Archives

There is a ton of information if you use the search feature. Dag's Dog food. Cheapest, greasiest.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Bait

For a base I use dog food and then pour Blueberry and strawberry syrup on it. Then the secret ingredient is the donuts in a cheese cloth bag drenched in syrup as a "stink bait". I hang it over the plastic barrel I use. Also mix together some imitation vanilla and anise in a spray bottle. Spray it over everything you want sniffed or chewed on. As for grease if you pour it out you have to clean it up so I dont use it on anything. As for what kind of dog food I dont think it matters, we have shot quite a few bears and I always use the cheapest I can get. i.e. quantity not quality. Good luck this spring.

Cook some bacon in the stand
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

not sure what works here in SC but up in the Tok area I hunt, dog food and hersheys syrup works. after 8 years, the average is about 3 days for activity on our bait station.

Honey is to expensive. Get two large packs of powder jello and pur it in water then burn it. It will put a very strong odor.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The guide at the lodge I worked for would get unsellable dougnuts from bakerys (like the 2 day olds or whatever) check with the shops to see if you can get em at a discount
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

All we ever used was the cheapest dog food you could buy and lots of anise oil. We would hang a dripper of anise oil over the bait and any bear that was there would leave a trail of it wherever he went. Never had a problem bringing black bears in. Dont use any meats or a brownbear will find it. We used a 55 galon drum chained to a tree with a 4"x4" hole in one end. They have to work to get the food out.

Thumbs down Hopefully a joke

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Cook some bacon in the stand
    I really hope that this was a joke. I am sure that no one would take a stove up into a treestand and try to cook anything. My biggest stand is only 30" x 36". Hardly enough room for a stove, me and hot bacon.

Default Baiting tips

Anise oil and mollasses hanging from a limb works very well as an attractant. Pour mollasses and anise oil mixture in an old wool sock and hang it and in an area a bear cannot get to and it will last quite a long time. It will slowly ooze out and drip slowly, and the scent will carry for miles. A honey burn works well, too. Pour some honey in a tin or steel cup and heat it over a can of sterno in a place that has no way to catch fire, such as on a wet mound of dirt, a dirt patch cleaned of twigs, leaves, etc. For the bait itself, I always used meat scraps. This generates the protein pellets the bears love (maggots), but is a mess to clean up now that you are required to take everything out at the end of the baiting season.

I have taken 5 black bears myself over these baits, and took friends in and they took over 30 bears over the years over these baits. We were very selective in what we shot, and saw many times this many bears over these baits.

Some of the best hunting I have done is in Prince William Sound from my or someone elses boat. No bait, but if you understand bear behavior, this can be the very best of the best for bears. We never shot from the boat, but were very successful. Now though, it is getting crowded there.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

How come nobody has mentioned, THE BEAVER!!!, Hang one up on a tree and bears will track in from miles! You can buy them from any trapper, pull it out of the freezer and let it sit out a couple days. Beware of the smell, it smells bad!, Hang it up with chicken wire so the bears can't take it and haul it off....Good luck!

Instead of dog food (which works by the way) you can try horse feed. It seems to last longer and most of it comes with molasses in it. Anise, dougnuts, food grease, old cookies, cakes, and the likes are tried and true. Peanut butter (kinda expensive) is a hoot especially if you stick it in a rotten log or stump, or a piece of pipe (3-4 inch diameter and about 12 inches long). They will have fits trying to get the pb out. Even in the rotten logs is comical. They can bust the log in a heart beat but they will sit there like a dog trying to get the treat out of the kong. Find some beaver castor or talk to your friendly neighborhood trapper. It is awesome stuff.

hanging something from a tree (beaver), we did a mooses head once similiairly. what a hoot. we had one bear that played with that head for hours. we were laughing so hard we couldnt shoot it. we used a rope and he would swing around the tree and then the rope would go tight and then he would swing the other way. all the time his hind feet were about 2 feet off the ground.

As for the beaver or moose, it's my understanding that meat tends to bring in brown bears a lot faster than dog food. Once you have a brownie on your bait you're much less likely to see a black bear, so most baiters tend to stay away from meat. Just what I've heard, for what it's worth.

-Brian

Thumbs up Oh, but there is room in the tree stand

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I really hope that this was a joke. I am sure that no one would take a stove up into a treestand and try to cook anything.
    I use a homemade stove. 2 coffee cans of different size, a can of sterno, three nails and you have a small protected stove. I do have to be careful if I have the tent set up though. Or if the dog is walking around.
    We tend to build 'em big.
    Burning syrup with a dollop of restaurant grease works well.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default How big?

Your treestand is big enough to set up a tent and take the dog up there with you?

You must have pictures! I have to see this. Just hauling the stands, barrels, steps and food back 1/4 mile or mile depending is enough for me.

Cool Big stands!

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I use a homemade stove. 2 coffee cans of different size, a can of sterno, three nails and you have a small protected stove. I do have to be careful if I have the tent set up though. Or if the dog is walking around.
    We tend to build 'em big.
    Burning syrup with a dollop of restaurant grease works well.
    You may want to check around local hardware stores. Sterno actually makes a very compact little stove that folds up into nothing. I know that Sentry in North Pole has them. Then all you need is a small coffee can. We normally burn apple juice concentrate and marshmellows. It's so sweet smelling that it turns my stomach for the first few minutes.

We too have a very big stand. Well it's more like a club house than a tree stand. In it we have carpeting two rolling office chairs and there is still room for my big 6' 1" butt to lay down and take a nap!

Here's a pic hope it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default Workers

You guys are workers! We just use portable treestands as we can't get ATV's back in. And on BLM and state park lands it would be too much work dragging it out at the end of the season.

Don't the bears climb up into that? We have to remove any plastic or foam as the bears will climb up and chew on anything. I set my shotgun on a 3 foot stump one time and the next trip it was a 2" stump.

Default bear in stand

We did get a young bear in that stand last year. He pawed and chew a hole in the middle of my chair. It was our fault though. A couple of days before we had brought in another bag of dog food, found out we didn't need it yet. I was not feeling the walk back out with that 50 pound bag, so we wrapped it in a tarp and left it in the stand. Boo don't do that. The bear didn't even go to the barrel. We had dog food skattered every were. Made me wonder as we were walking out what he really smelt in the seat of that chair though. Dirty dirty bear! Other than that no problems.

That stand is only about 12 feet high in the trees. Not one bear that has come in has ever paid any attention to it or us. I guess they are just used to it being there.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Nice stand! You could get a footon in that. Maybe if I had a stand like that my wife would go with. All I can get her to do right now is pack bait, which isn't a bad deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast