Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka Ring Problems, Any Solutions ??

Default Tikka Ring Problems, Any Solutions ??

Reading lots of old Shooting Forum archives lately,
    and the issue of problems with the Tikka T-3 rings comes up over and over,

As I'm waiting for the new Tikka in .243 to arrive, wondering if I "really Must," just order the Talley replacements before even trying the stock set, or if possibly I can get away with using them in such a light bucker as the .243 oughta be?

So, what exactly are the problems everyone is having ?
    It's often just stated, "replace immediately, use the Talley's,...." no further specifics as to what is happening. I imagine it is the scope slipping, due to recoil,
    or are they just really poorly made and not worth messing with ??
    (kinda hard to imagine with a high rep rifle build as these seem to be ??)
    So, can you guys help me out with what's up, specifically??

Are there some solutions anyone would suggest ??
    so I don't have to order the Talley's, .......yet anyway,
    (Man, I can get 200 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for the reloading bench, with that same $50, instead ??)

Yeah, I know, "thinkin' Cheap," ....but, it is what it is, these days,
    maybe it could be called, "thinkin' Wise," first ?

Asking Around, among the experienced guys,............ Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The problem is that they are junk clamp on rings barely suited for holding a tasco to a .22

Here is a pic I swiped from the web (the silver ones on the side are the Tikka rings, notice the rifle is actually wearing the bottom 1/2 of a set of Talleys).

The Talley rings actually bolt into the factory tapped holes in the receiver and are absolutely solid.

I suggest you just put weaver bases on and whatever weaver style rings hit your switch. After fiddling with the Tikka rings, thats what I did with the Tikkas we have in the house. The Tikka rings now reside in a junk drawer...

I guess I was lucky as I've been using my 300 WSM T3 for 6 years, and have fired over 500 rounds through it, and my factory rings have never had any problems. After the initial scope adjustment for sighting in, the scope has not moved nor has it ever needed to be adjusted again.

I'm thankful for this thread. I bought a .338 T3 a few years ago. Was 1 MOA out of the box. Then my SN got recalled. I never could get the replacement to shoot better than 3 MOA. I was blaming my so-so Burris scope.

I haven't taken my T3 Lite into the field yet but have put several hundred rounds down the barrel working up a "best" load. Some of those loads have been a bit stiff and the mounted scope is a bit larger than I usually use (Trijicon 3 x 9) yet everything has remained rock solid without any slippage. I had planned on using Talley's since I have them on a number of rifles but wanted to see for myself how the Tikka rings actually failed after proper installation .... I'm still waiting. Maybe I just got lucky since it seems a number of other shooters have complained about significant problems...but that has not been my experience - yet.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I've used the factory rings on my .300wsm since 04. My rifle gets used and abused and it has never had an issue with the rings. I've been "going" to change rings, just because, but really I have no reason to except to "upgrade" to talley's. This rifle is thrown into boats, tossed in atv's, flown to Africa and rarely do I ever have to re-adust it for sighting in..

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    It's often just stated, "replace immediately, use the Talley's,...." no further specifics as to what is happening. I imagine it is the scope slipping, due to recoil,
    or are they just really poorly made and not worth messing with ??
    (kinda hard to imagine with a high rep rifle build as these seem to be ??)
    So, can you guys help me out with what's up, specifically??

The Tikka rings are constructed/designed as inexpensively as they can possibly be produced. The primary flaw is the lack of a recoil shoulder for the ring to engage. As a result they are prone to slip on the tip-off rail, though the occurrences of this happening is likely exaggerated if they are properly installed.

The Talley LWs are an excellent solution, but they are not absolutely necessary if you tighten the supplied rings appropriately and the scope you are using is not of Hubble dimensions. The LWs are a good value and are a recommended upgrade, but you can make it without them IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I was a fan of my stock Tikka rings right up until I wasn’t. I put a lot of stiff rounds thorough a .300 win mag over a bunch of years and eventually the steel insert in the (front?) ring started to beat a noticeable bump in the front of the ring. This is the small ear that fits into the slot in the receiver top. I never had slippage issues and accuracy did not fall off, but obviously it was a disaster waiting to happen. Put on the Talley’s and never looked back. In retrospect I should have gone with them right out of the box

Sold! Can I get these Talley rings at any gun shop or do I need to order them from down below?

Boondock will hook you right up.

Same place I got the rifle. Thanks.

the Tikka rings were designed by the same people who designed the Tikka rifles .... they do "appear" to be minimal but they work if they are installed correctly - Talleys are nice rings and there is another option that, to me, looks better and is a 1 piece to boot ... DNZ Game Reaper mounts - I have them on 14 rifles of all assorted calibers and they work to perfection, are as light (lighter?) than Talley and leave one less connection point to "worry" about

Regarding Tikka T-3's and 338 Win Mag - there is a problem with that gun / cartridge combo - don't know why but read within here and you will find many comments and stories regarding poor 338 win mag performance with Tikka but all other cartridges shoot exceptionially good - I have had the very same experience with 2, both stainless - being a notorious "slow learner" and a Tikka fan I am gonna try a chrome moly version soon

Good info Back Country. My .338 is stainless. The first one shot wonderfully. The recall notice cited a metallurgical issue. Maybe since it worked so well they figured there must something wrong with it

If you get the CM version please report how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Good info Back Country. My .338 is stainless. The first one shot wonderfully. The recall notice cited a metallurgical issue. Maybe since it worked so well they figured there must something wrong with it

It was recalled because some of them were doing this

Wouu!! Interesting pic. I am unable to discern and belt on those cases - what caliber? Also is there a serial number range for the recall? I own a 300 WSM and have not received any info re a recall. Maybe no news is good news .... maybe .... but Murphy is alive and well in Alaska. To my way of thinking I should keep "him" honest. Any more info would be appreciated.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I dug up the recall letter dated Dec04. States steel processing problem in a small number of stainless rifles made after Feb04. Does not give an SN range. Mine was SN 449904. The replacement is 488xxx.

Default Better results with alignment and lapping?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Reading lots of old Shooting Forum archives lately,
    and the issue of problems with the Tikka T-3 rings comes up over and over,

As I'm waiting for the new Tikka in .243 to arrive, wondering if I "really Must," just order the Talley replacements before even trying the stock set, or if possibly I can get away with using them in such a light bucker as the .243 oughta be?...So, can you guys help me out with what's up, specifically??

(Man, I can get 200 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for the reloading bench, with that same $50, instead ??)... Thanks
    After buying a used Winchester in .243 2 yrs ago, I decided to learn to mount my own scope. Investing in a kit from Wheeler Engineering (and Midway USA, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=453687), I found the scope ring lapping/alignment process interesting. I don't know whether the advertised advantages hold true or not and I wasn't using Tikka ring/bases, but the rationale for alignment and lapping the rings made sense to me. I realize that investing in this kit would also blow your $50 (and more!), but I haven't had any problems with that scope, though as you said, recoil is light. Here's an excerpt from MidwayUSA's website description:

Scope Ring Alignment: This kit improves scope mounting two ways. First, the short bars let you know when the front ring is in perfect alignment with the rear one. Second, lapping the inside of the scope rings will reduce or eliminate any shifting of the scope inside the rings and will also remove machining marks that can scratch the finish on the scope. This is "State-of-the-Art" scope mounting and will provide you with confidence that the job has been done right. 1" and 30mm kits include 2 alignment rods, lapping rod with handle (8" steel shaft, plastic ball handle) and 1 oz jar of 220 grit high quality silicon carbide lapping compound. The combo kit comes with 2 alignment bars, 2 lapping shafts one 1" and one 30mm. Properly aligned rings create more surface contact with the scope tube to keep scopes in place during heavy recoil. Misaligned rings cause stress on the scope tube, which can dent the tube, distort the reticle, and cause adjustment problems. Scopes will need to be sighted in following the use of this kit.

Tikka OEM rings are kinda cheesy. The biggest problem I had with the Tikka OEM rings was that the allen head screws weren't hardened and the heads stripped out easily. I used mine one season before swapping them out. I had to use a Dremel and cutting disk to cut a slot in one of my stripped heads to get it out.

I replaced the OEM rings with a set of Warne Maxima Permanent Mount rings mainly because they clamped onto the receive grooves and include an anti-recoil pin the same as the OEM rings do.

Mine is CM version (blued/syn). It lives up to its reputation for accuracy, light weight, and sweet trigger. I did swap out the pad for a Limbsaver. My normal hunting moose and bear load is the Federal HE w/ 180 gr Nosler Partition. I can cluster them into about an inch or @ 100yrds (about as well as I can see w/ fixed 4x scope). One of these days I'm going to try and duplicate that load so i don't have to worry dwindling stores of HE.

It does tend to kinda scatter junk Remington 180s and American Eagle 150gr FMJs. But I've only shot a few rounds of these and haven't really tried to get them to print.

Drew first blood with it last spring on an AKPEN brown bear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Tikka OEM rings are kinda cheesy. The biggest problem I had with the Tikka OEM rings was that the allen head screws weren't hardened and the heads stripped out easily. I used mine one season before swapping them out. I had to use a Dremel and cutting disk to cut a slot in one of my stripped heads to get it out.
    Wow stevelyn, That's a Beautiful Bear Hide there, what coloring, Congrats on that

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice,
    I think I am going to try to make the factory ones work, just as I find it an irresistable challenge ...
    will be reloading for it and shooting quite a bit before taking to the field on any hunts so will see how it is working first.
    I also think maybe the fact that it will be only .243 that the recoil issue will be much less, as some have, maybe i'll get lucky.

So, first Stevelyn, do you think I can just replace the screws, using high quality Stainless ones ??

and 6x Leech, thanks for that post, I have been looking at all the lapping tool stuff and other tips on mounting scopes,
    I already am kind of "Just own your own tool, if you need it once you'll need it again" type.
    My Dad just worked that into me good.....
    So that looks like a good kit to invest in.

The Tikka/Sako website also had some real specific Torqueing instructions for their Tikka rings, already have one of those tools so maybe I can eliminate stripping screws that way. They were adamant about it being right, something like 13-15 lbs, the Tikka being different than the Sako, etc.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to post results as I dive into that.
    Man, that's a darn Science tho, eh" Mounting scopes ??
    Youtube is just full of stuff on it. So should be fun,

I expect I'll be able to have it figured out whether they are working for me within short order out at the range. I'm optimistic, but have the Talley's replacement info registered (Lujon's photo, they look pretty solid indeed)

That rifle is still not in my hands yet tho, can you believe it ???
    Now I have to do some business travel also, so it will be a while, Aaarrgghhh
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast