Thread: Riding out to the Iron Dog on Sunday?

Default Riding out to the Iron Dog on Sunday?

I've never been to the Iron Dog race start -- and I think the wife and kids would enjoy it. Considering riding out on our sleds -- we live off Vine and could ride down Hollywood all the way to Big Lake, I think. Do many folks ride their own sleds out there? I assume it would be packed with all sorts of private sleds, as well as a bunch of cars... What are the thoughts on that from those who are more Iron Dog savy than I am? Good idea / bad idea to ride our own sleds out? Best / safest routes?

Thanks!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    I've never been to the Iron Dog race start -- and I think the wife and kids would enjoy it. Considering riding out on our sleds -- we live off Vine and could ride down Hollywood all the way to Big Lake, I think. Do many folks ride their own sleds out there? I assume it would be packed with all sorts of private sleds, as well as a bunch of cars... What are the thoughts on that from those who are more Iron Dog savy than I am? Good idea / bad idea to ride our own sleds out? Best / safest routes?

Thanks!
    There will be more sleds out there than you can shake a stick at.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Smile The Zoo!

Thats a Fact Jack!!!!!
    It will be a like Ididaidot Sunday in Willow!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Had a fun ride out there Sunday. Drove along the Parks from Wasilla to Big Lake Road, and then along it to the start. Fun stuff for the whole family (three sleds in our caravan), although some of the berms caused by plowed driveways along the way freaked my kids and wife out a bit. Neat to see the start of the Iron Dog and the Iron Pups. Looks like everyone had a great time there.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

idk where u are at over off vine or kgb/hollywood area, but there's some trails that are better than trying to drive along the roads, over off sunset and off hollywood are couple good trails from wasilla to big lake... i prefer taking off from over by sunset off kgb but could also get to that trail from off hollywood as well, but it comes out right at the big lake airport, the trail by hollywood comes back out on hollywood a few blocks b4 east lake mall, anyways just thought i'd share that...